Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing it? Is there anything wrong with it? I like some insight on this. Is there any accuracy issues I'm thinking about keeping my arrows inside the riser domain but I'm going to get you guys feedback first.

Attachments

·
2,589 Posts
There have been incidents where the bow was decocked and a broadhead forgotten. I talked to one character who did it and he didn't realize what was happening until the pain started. He said the pain made his knees buckle and lose strength and the arrow eventually let go full force through his boot/foot and pegged him to the frozen ground. He said he was worried that he didn't have the strength to free him from his debacle and thought he was done! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Hehehehe! Another guy went to a manufacturer and demanded a new boot! Apparently it wasn't his fault! Darwin was wrong!
Personally I make sure the arrow is at least half way or more into the stirrup because I know I'm not smart enough and my boot will kick out any arrow including a field tip.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Well I agree decocking with arrow in trouble could be painful. But on the plus side if you could have your broadhead inside of end of riser then your chances of hiring it in stand or ground blind are lessened. (I think for me greater chance of that than decocking arrow into my foot). But the big if is that broadhead blades can’t touch rail or stirrup no matter what position blades are in.

I sure like short arrows for R 26 they are much safer especially in ground blinds.

·
2,589 Posts
Turn it off. But you might hate it worse then. :)
My ability to spell has gone downhill since the use of spell check/autocorrection. Now if it isn't there I second guess every 5th word! Might be a better thing to turn that crutch off!

·
Registered
14,066 Posts
My phone does not auto correct but does let me know if I have misspelled a word. I can post as is or choose their spelling. I am pretty sure I have the option to turn on auto correction should I choose to.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My kid turned it on because if I text without my glasses sometimes I had mistakes. Now with autocorrect instead of misspelled word it changes whole meaning
Yeah for sure. Last November I was messaging a friend saying " this should be an interesting election". Obviously, I grossly mistyped election and auto correct decided I meant erection. We both got a big laugh out of that later, but I sure am glad it wasn't to a mixed gender group!

·
Registered
741 Posts
@cdw is the crossbow in the picture yours? Issues while decocking like Boo described are really the only issues I'm aware of. But the one in the picture is a tenpoint that can't be decocked anyway, so that concern isn't an issue in this instance.

·
2,589 Posts
@cdw is the crossbow in the picture yours? Issues while decocking like Boo described are really the only issues I'm aware of. But the one in the picture is a tenpoint that can't be decocked anyway, so that concern isn't an issue in this instance.
We all have our own risk thresholds. Personally I would not point a loaded 1911 to my head or at anyone, even with both manual safeties engaged and I think its odd that anyone differentiates between a crossbow and a firearm. We are all drilled at the beginning about never pointing a firearm, loaded or unloaded, at anything you don't want to kill. Having your foot in the stirrup of a loaded crossbow is truly relying on a mechanical safety which is totally ludicrous.
What am I missing? Can someone please explain how a loaded crossbow should be treated differently than a loaded firearm?
Tyler, my 2 bows made by Tenpoint could be both decocked.

·
Registered
741 Posts
We all have our own risk thresholds. Personally I would not point a loaded 1911 to my head or at anyone, even with both manual safeties engaged and I think its odd that anyone differentiates between a crossbow and a firearm. We are all drilled at the beginning about never pointing a firearm, loaded or unloaded, at anything you don't want to kill. Having your foot in the stirrup of a loaded crossbow is truly relying on a mechanical safety which is totally ludicrous.
What am I missing? Can someone please explain how a loaded crossbow should be treated differently than a loaded firearm?
Tyler, my 2 bows made by Tenpoint could be both decocked.
I agree with you 100%. I was only just thinking that if a guy had a crossbow that can't be decocked, he'd never have a reason to put his foot in the stirrup with it loaded. Kinda like a KI X1 could have its stirrup set forward and the arrow is tucked back into the riser. Can't decock the X1 though. Using the X1 as an example, the one pictured above wouldn't be much different, provided it can't be decocked.

But I would never one a crossbow that can't be decocked and always run my arrows to the middle of the stirrup at a bare minimum.

And besides the acuslide models, I've never seen a tenpoint that has an auto safety that can be decocked (without bypassing something). Learned something new today.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
712 Posts
Anyone doing it? Is there anything wrong with it? I like some insight on this. Is there any accuracy issues I'm thinking about keeping my arrows inside the riser domain but I'm going to get you guys feedback first.
I guess I could see that if all your carrying is one arrow. But I wouldn’t personally do it. Be my luck I’d cut the string with the broadhead

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
799 Posts
I must be an idiot because I don’t understand the point of this. I must be missing something? You want to store an arrow under the string? I’m really not trying to be a smart A. I just don’t get it

·
2,589 Posts
I must be an idiot because I don’t understand the point of this. I must be missing something? You want to store an arrow under the string? I’m really not trying to be a smart A. I just don’t get it
I derailed this thread. The OP posted if having an arrow short enough to have a broadhead end up inside the broad head pocket would cause any accuracy issues. I replied that I would keep the broadhead inside the stirrup area so that there is no broadhead poised in such a way that it could shoot into your foot.
I should have said no and shut up about safety but safety is important to me and I couldn’t keep my trap shut🙄

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Mission Sub 1 XR
799 Posts
I have no issues with it, Boo! Safety is always key

·
2,760 Posts
Look at my avatar. Thats a Mission 320 with a very narrow broadhead cut out in the riser. And that's one of the bigger 3 blade fixed heads. Accuracy problems none that i have ever noticed. A shorter arrow needs more FOC as a general rule.

What you must be aware of if broadhead fitment inside that cut out. In my case with a narrow cut out i had to be able to index that head so one blade pointed straight down or pretty close. Theres expendables that will require the same thing on some bows.

If the arrow tips are outside the cut out or you have a big cut out. No worries.

I have since sold that bow but still cut my arrows so the broadheads are inside the cut out. But use a broadhead thats forgiving of the narrow cut out.

I let my bows down after hunting but my bows don't have a stirrup so my foot is never in the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts