Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The perfect build begins with a quality shaft.

There is no doubt IMHO that Black Eagle stands alone in the industry as the best manufacture for carbon shafts. If anyone doubts this I can easily prove it simply by taking any random set of shafts from our shelves and test them. I will guarantee you that I would never pull a dozen BEES and a dozen of any other arrow and the BEEs not test best. I know this because I do it day in and day out! There simply is no better shafts

But with that said the perfect arrow can be found in just about every carbon tube made, it just may take more shafts to cull until you have the perfect matched set.

So to get a perfect build you start with a set of shafts that are tight, Straight +/- .001, Spine Deflection Variance of +/- .005

Second is the type of test equipment used to find the and identify the perfect set of arrows

There are a number of companies that make testers but only one type of tester accurately works to help you find the perfect arrow. And that tester is a RAM type tester.

Some think you can use a bow press but that is a claim made by people who do not know or understand the physics of an arrows anatomy. When a bow press is used the arrow will bend along the natural bend of the arrow or the weakest point of the shaft.

Some feel you can place the arrow on two sets of rollers and depress the arrow in the middle and it will roll to the stiff side. This idea is again based on a lack of knowledge of arrows anatomy, Arrows with a dominate natural bend will always roll and place that bend 180 degrees away or to put it another way it will always give into the bending force and roll away from it placing the natural bend opposite of the force.

But the problem is as it is rolling toward the natural bending plane it can be stopped and redirected toward the weakest static spine location the arrow can give and roll into the weak side. In order to be 100% sure your indexing process is done correctly you must use a dial gauge type tester or a frequency analyzer to identify the stiff plane. And I actually prefer the RAM over a frequency analyzer because a frequency analyzer will only show you the stiff plane not where the stiffest point on the shaft is located

A RAM type tester always 100% of the time shows you the true facts of an arrows anatomy. It will point out the stiffest point in every case unless the shaft is extremely uniform. In this case there are things like adding a little more weight or refined testing process that can show subtle changes in a shaft to identify the static stiff side.

So now that you have the info to find the perfect shafts and the testing tool here is IMHO what you need.

I have built arrows professionally for almost 20 years now and have spent the entire career testing, quantifying, developing theory, verifying theory or moving on to a new theory.

What I believe makes a perfect arrow is not exotic very expensive components or combining multiple shafts. A perfect arrow is just a set of old fashioned carbon tubes that have been indexed and spine matched to +/- .005 deflection. Nothing more, nothing less, there is magic in this setup and it can be done by anyone with a grain scale to tweak the finished weight and some type of RAM type analog spine testing device.

I was talking to a guy the other day who paid over $400 for 18 arrows and they were not even weight matched. And I know what equipment they use and I can tell you IMHO it does not work accurately.

Arrow building is not rocket science, there is no magic bullet or component that miraculously elevate one arrow over another. Once arrows are matched and built to the specs I have given above there is not an archer on the planet that can out shoot it.

With all of this said can you build a tighter arrow? Yes!

But I ask why?

If arrows that are indexed, +/- .001 straight, +/- .005 spine matched can out perform every archer on the planet why would you need +/- .0005 straight, +/- .0025 spine matched etc.

I have never been a person that would say good enough but since I have been testing, evaluating and learning I have had to come to realize that building an arrow to the specs I have listed above is not a "good enough" situation its simply building the perfect arrow that is sufficient to out perform any archers ability!

Registered
Hey Jerry, how about making a video of the perfect arrow build. I know I can鈥檛 be the only one here that would love to see how a master arrow builder builds a perfect arrow.

Reactions: dynamo61

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jerry, how about making a video of the perfect arrow build. I know I can鈥檛 be the only one here that would love to see how a master arrow builder builds a perfect arrow.
I intend to do this one day soon.

I have to get a tripod to mount the camera on and then find the time on a weekend. I worked 7 days a week for about 10 years so I have some honey do's that I am trying to catch up on now. I also have scorpyd bows to repair so I think when hunting season is over, the bows coming in for repair will slow and I should have most of the honey do's done then i can put together a video

Registered
Just got my 2 dozen Tapps and grabbed 4 arrows and shot 4 perfect bullseyes at 40 yards. No time to go test far range but never had a problem with any arrows that you built so I am confident theese will be great

Registered
Jerry makes works of art. Sometimes I feel guilty shooting his arrows and not hanging them up in a frame on my wall.

Registered
The perfect build begins with a quality shaft.

There is no doubt IMHO that Black Eagle stands alone in the industry as the best manufacture for carbon shafts. If anyone doubts this I can easily prove it simply by taking any random set of shafts from our shelves and test them. I will guarantee you that I would never pull a dozen BEES and a dozen of any other arrow and the BEEs not test best. I know this because I do it day in and day out! There simply is no better shafts

But with that said the perfect arrow can be found in just about every carbon tube made, it just may take more shafts to cull until you have the perfect matched set.

So to get a perfect build you start with a set of shafts that are tight, Straight +/- .001, Spine Deflection Variance of +/- .005

Second is the type of test equipment used to find the and identify the perfect set of arrows

There are a number of companies that make testers but only one type of tester accurately works to help you find the perfect arrow. And that tester is a RAM type tester.

Some think you can use a bow press but that is a claim made by people who do not know or understand the physics of an arrows anatomy. When a bow press is used the arrow will bend along the natural bend of the arrow or the weakest point of the shaft.

Some feel you can place the arrow on two sets of rollers and depress the arrow in the middle and it will roll to the stiff side. This idea is again based on a lack of knowledge of arrows anatomy, Arrows with a dominate natural bend will always roll and place that bend 180 degrees away or to put it another way it will always give into the bending force and roll away from it placing the natural bend opposite of the force.

But the problem is as it is rolling toward the natural bending plane it can be stopped and redirected toward the weakest static spine location the arrow can give and roll into the weak side. In order to be 100% sure your indexing process is done correctly you must use a dial gauge type tester or a frequency analyzer to identify the stiff plane. And I actually prefer the RAM over a frequency analyzer because a frequency analyzer will only show you the stiff plane not where the stiffest point on the shaft is located

A RAM type tester always 100% of the time shows you the true facts of an arrows anatomy. It will point out the stiffest point in every case unless the shaft is extremely uniform. In this case there are things like adding a little more weight or refined testing process that can show subtle changes in a shaft to identify the static stiff side.

So now that you have the info to find the perfect shafts and the testing tool here is IMHO what you need.

I have built arrows professionally for almost 20 years now and have spent the entire career testing, quantifying, developing theory, verifying theory or moving on to a new theory.

What I believe makes a perfect arrow is not exotic very expensive components or combining multiple shafts. A perfect arrow is just a set of old fashioned carbon tubes that have been indexed and spine matched to +/- .005 deflection. Nothing more, nothing less, there is magic in this setup and it can be done by anyone with a grain scale to tweak the finished weight and some type of RAM type analog spine testing device.

I was talking to a guy the other day who paid over $400 for 18 arrows and they were not even weight matched. And I know what equipment they use and I can tell you IMHO it does not work accurately.

Arrow building is not rocket science, there is no magic bullet or component that miraculously elevate one arrow over another. Once arrows are matched and built to the specs I have given above there is not an archer on the planet that can out shoot it.

With all of this said can you build a tighter arrow? Yes!

But I ask why?

If arrows that are indexed, +/- .001 straight, +/- .005 spine matched can out perform every archer on the planet why would you need +/- .0005 straight, +/- .0025 spine matched etc.

I have never been a person that would say good enough but since I have been testing, evaluating and learning I have had to come to realize that building an arrow to the specs I have listed above is not a "good enough" situation its simply building the perfect arrow that is sufficient to out perform any archers ability!
You and I have been building arrows for what many people would call a lifetime so your information as usual carries a lifetime of wisdom. That said it sounds almost to simple to be that good, but the fact of the matter is the information contains a couple of gotcha's that in fact are not nearly simple at all.

The first major gotcha for the average guy is in obtaining raw shafts that have been properly culled to provide consistent straightness and tight spine deflection specifications as you've listed. Outside of one outfit listed in Florida under the ridiculous name of "South Shore Archery" (humor) there are no other U.S. based companies that consistently cull out their stock to provide good clean matched shafts. Second, it's my humble experience after more than 50 years of building arrows of every type known, that your 2nd point in regard to spine deflection matching of the "Stiff Side Plain" is the real magic that makes a perfect shooting set of arrows.

Where we can agree to disagree is in the fact that today's top performing arrows exceed the shooting ability of most archers. That statement holds true when it comes to the entire field of vertical archery. There's a very small number of top pro archers who have the ability and developed shooting skills to match the quality of these arrows. They are competitive archers not hunters. That said, in the world of crossbows today we have a number of top performing crossbow that when equipped properly are incredibly accurate at distances out to 100 yards and slightly beyond. With good optics and a speed dial or jack plate these high end performing crossbows require the weight balanced, spine matched arrows in order to attain the accuracy they're capable of shot after shot.

To be more to the point, the matching of arrows is one of the ways in which we quickly and easily separate out the "story tellers" from the "real deals" when we hear about somebody shooting a 3" group at 100 yards. This type of accuracy and consistency is not doable unless the shooter is using a set of arrows that is both spine matched and weight balanced as tightl as you specified in your thread.

Last, the simplicity that you mention when you state "it's not rocket science" is also only partially true. While we agree it's not difficult to learn once you have somebody that can teach you, the step by step process is like many other things in the fact you must either have the right equipment and be stringent in following the steps exactly as written or you'll never end up with the desired end product. Once you know and understand each step in the process it becomes like driving a car. It becomes second nature and can be repeated while doing or thinking about countless other things.

Learning about all the properties of arrow building can also be compared to learning about your crossbow. The day a new crossbow arrives how much do you really know about it and how comfortable would you be adjusting it or even using it? Like wise understanding all aspects of an arrow build not only allows you to become familiar with their performance, but it also provides you with a much better understanding of how to tune or readjust certain aspects of the set. It provides a much deeper understanding about all aspects of your own shooting performance. Last, it's like riding bicycle. Once you know it, you know it forever. There's only a small amount to learn and then you'll have it for the rest of your shooting life.

There are still always those who have no interest in building their own arrows, but they do have an interest in attaining a high degree of accuracy in their shooting. When this is the case and providing your crossbow has the capability to begin with, then your choices are few. From a logic stand point, I've understood how a person can think to go out and spend several hundred dollars or more on a crossbow, another couple hundred on a scope and then go cheap on the projectiles (arrows) that he's shooting when these arrows make all the difference in the world as to his accuracy. Go figure? As I stated above, your choices a very few. Call South Shore Archery talk to them about what you'd like to attain and ask them for some recommendations to best meet your needs. Somebody else might do the job for a couple dollars less or the same money, but nobody and I mean nobody else is going to come close to doing it as well. It's your dime and if you want the job done as if it was for a world top competitor you'll take the advice. If not, as I stated it's your dime!

Jon Henry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts