Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind works the best for you? How accurate are they at 30 yards? I have an excoet 200 and I cannot seem to get a better group then 2 1/2 inches off a rest. With slick tricks, 2 inch blazer vanes, easton powerbolts, 13% foc, 390 gr. Tried 125 gr st too same thing.

Thanks, StanT

·
1,222 Posts
Are you cocking by hand?
That may very well throw the string off center.

Even an old Barnett I have shoots better than that.

My little Darton Fireforce has ruined more than a few arrows (offhand) in the past. I only shoot one arrow per target dot now!

You should be getting much better accuracy than what you mention.

Are all the fasteners on your bow tight?
Are you flinching as you squeeze the trigger?

Mike

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I use the rope, I do not flinch off sand bags, everything is tight, Only thing I can think of is 3 dry fires as it was much better before. Could I have stressed the limbs?

Thanks, Stant

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Stant,unfortunately with three dry fires you may have done more than stressed the limbs.
I would suggest you have the bow throughly inspected for damage .

·
224 Posts
you may want to run a few cotton balls (lightly) up and down the limbs on the inside and outside surfaces as well as the edges. You may have a some cracks or a crack.

I believe that shooting with a cracked limb is dangerous.

·
1,222 Posts
Stant -

Hmmm...you "did" forget to mention the dry fires!!!
I love it when the crowd gets half the story !!!!!!

Cotton balls or not...that bow should not (would not if it were mine!) be shot without a COMPLETE going over by Excalibur. More than just splintery limbs can ocure with even one dry fire.
That thing can very easilly blow up...in your face.

Mike

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once every year, was ez to forget until I thought about it. I contacted excal and waiting for a reply. Did the cotton ball, nothing. Checked all the bolts, All tight. I am waiting for a new string.
Thanks for the help, Stan

·
211 Posts
Stant said:
What kind works the best for you? How accurate are they at 30 yards? I have an excoet 200 and I cannot seem to get a better group then 2 1/2 inches off a rest. With slick tricks, 2 inch blazer vanes, easton powerbolts, 13% foc, 390 gr. Tried 125 gr st too same thing.

Thanks, StanT

do you get the same results with field tips?

I shoot beman thunderbolts(which are the same thing as eastons powerbolts), with feathers and custom made nocks/inserts, mine weigh 435gr with 18% FOC and I dont shoot the same place twice on the target either

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
KLC
Where do you get inserts for the Bemans?

·
211 Posts
Cossack said:
KLC
Where do you get inserts for the Bemans?

I've both made them from scratch on the machine and modified the existing ones, to tell the truth I like modifiing them better, making them from scratch is harder than it seems without cnc equipment, done by hand on a machine theres a surprising amount of steps involved in making just one insert and just one little mistake on the machine and its right back to square one...

bemans inserts are longer than most with the whole back 1/2 of the insert being nothing but added material/weight, the design allows for easy modification for adding weight and if I dont feel like driving across town to go to the shop and do it on a machine I can easily do the work right in my living room with a dremel, drill, bit, file and scale...

for the sake of not retyping everything there was a discussion on hunting.net a while back where I posted how I do it...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2757632&mpage=1&key=&

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Looks like fun but I think I'll stick with GT2's and 110 r brass inserts, 2" Blazers.

·
342 Posts
I'm wondering how a bow gets dry fired 3 times...humm!:D

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Just for the heck of it, check the groove for debris. I just had similar accuracy problems caused by a buildup of lacquer on one side of the channel.
Also check the brace hight, serving wear and to make sure (all) bolts and screws are tight....esp those holding stock to frame.
More than likely, the dryfires have not done your bow any good.

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked with excalibur, They said as long as there is no splinters or cracks the limbs and the bow should be fine, went over everything, All is tight. I cleaned the groove yesterday am and there was stuff in it. My Boo string also came yesterday, on it went 9 shots at 27 yards about a 1 1/2 inch group. Leaning on my truck. I have a homemade string supression on it so I dont think a dryfire affects it as much. Its too HOT to get out my sandbags and play today, but I am sure I could do a little better.

Thank You, Stan

·
54 Posts
Three dry fires, excaliburs are tough. I have messed up way more then that. Been at it for three years and before that I never fired anything. Pay attention to the teeth marks in the string serving made by the trigger system. Just encase in the beginning you were cocking incorrectly. With the new string that will take care of it, even with the puller you can be off. I mark the string on each side off the rail before I cock it with liquid paper. This way once cocked I can tell if it is done properly. Practice at 20 yards with a rest first then work out from there.
Like the man said " squeeze don't pull it. It ant' your d!ck.
:mad::D

·
1,709 Posts
Imperfect servings can cause inaccuracy. I would try to increase your FOC as well as look at your scope and mountings. Also instead of holding your bow with your right hand and using your right index finger to pull back pinch the trigger with your thumb and index finger between the trigger and trigger guard to illuminate shooter error. How is your broadhead alignment? Check it with a proper tool or use the Awshucks method of four marbles glued onto a board.
Just some thoughts.

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got it, Would you believe it was the blazer vanes? Got some off ebay must be seconds as the base is not square, Stand them on a table and some lean ez 15 degrees or more in either direction. Hand picked and replaced the vanes on the arrows that did not shoot good. Now I am shooting a 1 inch group at 25 yards off bags with my slick tricks.
Thanks for the help, StanT

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Stant said:
Finally got it, Would you believe it was the blazer vanes? Got some off ebay must be seconds as the base is not square, Stand them on a table and some lean ez 15 degrees or more in either direction. Hand picked and replaced the vanes on the arrows that did not shoot good. Now I am shooting a 1 inch group at 25 yards off bags with my slick tricks.
Thanks for the help, StanT
The blazer vanes don't sit square. I stand all mine up on a table and then put them in groups of three according to how they sit. If you put three together that all lean to the same direction, it's no problem. If you put three different ones together, it looks like you can't fletch an arrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts