Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I pulled my pre-order for the Ravin 500E Kraken a couple months ago and bought a bunch of firearms.
Have been going to 2 outdoor ranges and one indoor range and having a blast instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

The saddest part, IMO, is that Ravin is not giving any updates.
At least KI, with the SWAT X1 release, are keeping Customers in the loop.
Very bad PR work by Ravin.
I think they jumped the gun like Scorpyd did and ran into a problem. I'm not buying the parts thing myself. I think they are forced to change the design a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
I think they jumped the gun like Scorpyd did and ran into a problem. I'm not buying the parts thing myself. I think they are forced to change the design a bit.
Agreed, if it was a parts shortage, they would just say so and people would understand, for the most part.
If it's a design change, they may feel a little "embarrassed".
Either way...say something! for crying out loud!
OK, off to do some shooting.
Haven't decided what yet, but shooting something LOL!
Make it a great day!

·
11,688 Posts
I pulled my pre-order for the Ravin 500E Kraken a couple months ago and bought a bunch of firearms.
Have been going to 2 outdoor ranges and one indoor range and having a blast instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

The saddest part, IMO, is that Ravin is not giving any updates.
At least KI, with the SWAT X1 release, are keeping Customers in the loop.
Very bad PR work by Ravin.
The fanboy ... line (or hope...) is the holdup is some Chinese part stuck in port because of the pandemic. (not very logical for a made in USA crossbow) That's the best case scenario. Equally, perhaps even more likely, is the possibility that there's some huge issue that they're frantically trying to overcome. I realize it might be "he said, she said," but offering 500gr arrows could just as easily be a red flag meaning Ravin is trying to keep these bows together as an indication they're offering arrows for killing rhinoceros. 😂

You can't keep customers in the loop if there's some major flaw showing up late in the game. You'll lose all those customers. At least the ones with half a brain. What's the consequences of losing all those pre-orders on financing, insurance, stock value? What happened to Boeing when the 767Max was FAA grounded? The Circus came to Boeing Town...lol

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
615 Posts
I called Ravin a week ago because I have a Aug 4 hunt coming up and they told me there was parts problems. I asked if the 500 would ship before the 500 E and he said yes around last week of July to first week of Aug. He also said to get my R29 ready for my hunt because depending where your order is they may not get first shipment. Talk is cheap but that is what he said.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Agreed, if it was a parts shortage, they would just say so and people would understand, for the most part.
If it's a design change, they may feel a little "embarrassed".
Either way...say something! for crying out loud!
OK, off to do some shooting.
Haven't decided what yet, but shooting something LOL!
Make it a great day!
Have at it. Enjoy your day!!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I called Ravin a week ago because I have a Aug 4 hunt coming up and they told me there was parts problems. I asked if the 500 would ship before the 500 E and he said yes around last week of July to first week of Aug. He also said to get my R29 ready for my hunt because depending where your order is they may not get first shipment. Talk is cheap but that is what he said.
In all honesty I wouldn't count your chickens. I know I'd be making other plans to be set and ready to go on the hunt and not let waiting on the 500 mess things up for you. Even if you end up with one there still can be a dilemma and it can ruin your hunt.

Get that 29 ready for sure and enjoy your hunt with no worries on the back burner.

·
11,688 Posts
"Parts Problems"... covers a lot of ground...lol ;) Parts procurement problems? Or parts unexpectedly cataclysmically disassembling the crossbow problems? 😂 If it was me and I had a preordered R500, personally I think I'd deserve to hear exactly "what the parts problems are" from them when I called.

Reactions: HunterB

·
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I heard from a reliable source that the big box stores are expecting R500 deliveries within the next couple of weeks. Time will tell but I think it's going to happen.

·
Registered
786 Posts
the real thing to consider here. Is that if you shoot this bow or any bow at 500 f.p.s with a 400grain arrow you are dri firing the bow anyway you slice it. It would be the same as taking a 350 grain arrow and firing it of your Ravin or new Tenpoint that you own now. Maybe even worse. So unless your a bit of a fool why would you do this......?
So having said that your not really going to get 500 f.p.s probably more like 370 or 380 at best.
Is that a significant jump for the money and maintance to keep it going......?

what do you think.....? For some it certainly will be

The only other gain could be to shoot a real heavy arrow at about 460 f.p.s
Which would help you some place i guess. A hurricane maybe or for shooting though car doors or something.

what do you think.....?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
the real thing to consider here. Is that if you shoot this bow or any bow at 500 f.p.s with a 400grain arrow you are dri firing the bow anyway you slice it. It would be the same as taking a 350 grain arrow and firing it of your Ravin or new Tenpoint that you own now. Maybe even worse. So unless your a bit of a fool why would you do this......?
So having said that your not really going to get 500 f.p.s probably more like 370 or 380 at best.
Is that a significant jump for the money and maintance to keep it going......?

what do you think.....? For some it certainly will be

The only other gain could be to shoot a real heavy arrow at about 460 f.p.s
Which would help you some place i guess. A hurricane maybe or for shooting though car doors or something.

what do you think.....?
If the crossbow is designed to shoot a 400 grain arrow I don't see where it's like a dry fire at all.

That is like saying I'm dry firing every crossbow I own just because the older models shot a 400 grain arrow let's say at around 350fps.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
When you go to an extreme parallel limb design and depend more on cam rotation rather tha limb deflection to propel the arrow, you might be very surprised with the result.
I'm thinking Ravin would not be shipping the 500s with 400 grain arrows unless their engineers knew the limbs and strings could take the stress.
Personally, I'm quite happy with my R10 and never had any problems with a complete pass thru on any deer. But I'm using a 434 grain arrow and my shots have all been under 40 yards.

I know one thing for sure. If the R500 proves to be reliable and accurate at long range and relatively maintenance free with a 400 grain arrow, it will be attractive to those who prefer not to use a heavy auto ranging scope. In fact, I'm betting that new Ravin scope with the adjustable turret for elevation will be very popular on the R500.
We shall see soon.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I think the first college football game is Sept 1 this year. Which kicks off first - college football or the R500?

Reactions: NonTypicalCPA

·
Registered
786 Posts
yep..should be real interesting

what grain weight arrow the bow ships with will be a really good indicator............................;)

That would be great if they really ship with a 400 grain arrow, but i suspect there is a reason for the new 500 grain Ravin arrow its not slow down the existing models. Of Coarse this all speculation but seems to be the new trend. The only manufacture that i know of that ships withe correct arrow to blow your bow apart is the Excalibur's......................................:D

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Now a 500 grain arrow at 500 fps would be hard to pass up. LOL
You got that right!!! I'd probably sell both my Scorpyds.......Well,I'd HAVE to, to afford that thing! LOL

Reactions: Iron Duke and Yelpy

·
Registered
786 Posts
if it can really deliver close to 480 with 440 grain arrow i would have to have one.

Why 440 grain........? Thats about the normal build weight for a 20" Spynal Tapp or Bee with a 110 grain insert, nock bushing, vanes and your choice of a 100 grain head......the sweet spot is right there i.m.o.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts