Crossbow Nation banner

August is around the corner...where is the Ravin 500

9K views 97 replies 26 participants last post by  Moon 
#1 ·
Well im pulling out of the Ravin 500 pre order. No info or updates for Ravin owners or ones that want to be. Before you know it its 2022. Im very disappointed to say the least.

#3 ·
My thoughts exactly ... R29X is the bird in the hand. The R500 is the bird in the bush. There are just too many unanswered questions:
#1. Arrow & broadheads at 500fps?
#2. The cranking screws? Maintenance, dirt collecting in threads? Freezing up in 30 degree rain?
#3. How many cranks to cock it and return the carrier forward?
#4. Noise? Of the cranking & uncranking. When the thing goes off? And of the electric motor & gearbox of the R500E?

Just doesn't make sense to me to be a first in line buyer for this bow.

#9 ·
Checking for Ravin 500 and Ravin 500E
Cabelas,com has no listing for either crossbow.
Cabelas.ca states available for pre order. Arrival date is unknown at this time. The price is also shown.

Like some other crossbow companies, Ravin is probably waiting on some part or accessory to come from over seas.
Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

#13 ·
Don’t think it’s parts or they would have had a back-up supplier or found another. I believe at this point it’s design related and they need time to work it out/test. After their original intro problem with nock design & slide/safety prematurely going off on some they won’t let that happen again no matter how late they are. Their up against it now in that all the guys that pre-ordered to use this fall may walk away. For me it took twice pre-ordering a couple of other industry leaders crossbows to learn I’ll never go down that road again no matter who the manufacturer is or how bad I want something.

#17 ·
Duked? ... I never took people's money before I delivered a service. ;) There's a big difference between being Duked and being "duped." Just ask any of my past Sheilas.:p😂

#19 ·
Duke, I agree.

Here is the way I look at when I buy a new crossbow. I personally hunt with a crossbow 98% of the season. We only get 2 weeks to hunt with a rifle. I'd rather put the money into a crossbow than a rifle.

Most factory rifles today will shoot very accurately without having to go with a custom build. I've been down that road and sold all my custom rifles except for one with a Sporter barrel. Most of those hole for hole shooters that shot lights out still needed loaded ammo to shoot great as most factory rifles do. The heavy guns aren't for lugging around the woods either. I can shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups at 300 yards with a factory rifle that has minimal work done. Just a bed job and some tweaking of loads with the right bullet .

Why waist money on a gun that will sit in the safe to use maybe 2 or 3 days a year? And, I can shoot a crossbow without having to leave the house.

At this point I won't be buying into a $4000 contraption of a crossbow but I'm sure it's a must have for some.

I'd like to have one that shoots 500fps though. LOL It would be some fun.

I'll buy a good box blind instead to hunt comfy and sleep in from time to time. Why not?

#47 · (Edited)
Duke, I agree.

Here is the way I look at when I buy a new crossbow. I personally hunt with a crossbow 98% of the season. We only get 2 weeks to hunt with a rifle. I'd rather put the money into a crossbow than a rifle.

Most factory rifles today will shoot very accurately without having to go with a custom build. I've been down that road and sold all my custom rifles except for one with a Sporter barrel. Most of those hole for hole shooters that shot lights out still needed loaded ammo to shoot great as most factory rifles do. The heavy guns aren't for lugging around the woods either. I can shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups at 300 yards with a factory rifle that has minimal work done. Just a bed job and some tweaking of loads with the right bullet .

Why waist money on a gun that will sit in the safe to use maybe 2 or 3 days a year? And, I can shoot a crossbow without having to leave the house.

At this point I won't be buying into a $4000 contraption of a crossbow but I'm sure it's a must have for some.

I'd like to have one that shoots 500fps though. LOL It would be some fun.

I'll buy a good box blind instead to hunt comfy and sleep in from time to time. Why not?
View attachment 202008 View attachment 202009 View attachment 202012 View attachment 202013 View attachment 202014 View attachment 202010

#20 ·
I pulled my pre-order for the Ravin 500E Kraken a couple months ago and bought a bunch of firearms.
Have been going to 2 outdoor ranges and one indoor range and having a blast instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

The saddest part, IMO, is that Ravin is not giving any updates.
At least KI, with the SWAT X1 release, are keeping Customers in the loop.
Very bad PR work by Ravin.

#24 ·
I called Ravin a week ago because I have a Aug 4 hunt coming up and they told me there was parts problems. I asked if the 500 would ship before the 500 E and he said yes around last week of July to first week of Aug. He also said to get my R29 ready for my hunt because depending where your order is they may not get first shipment. Talk is cheap but that is what he said.

#27 ·
In all honesty I wouldn't count your chickens. I know I'd be making other plans to be set and ready to go on the hunt and not let waiting on the 500 mess things up for you. Even if you end up with one there still can be a dilemma and it can ruin your hunt.

Get that 29 ready for sure and enjoy your hunt with no worries on the back burner.

#29 ·
#33 · (Edited)
the real thing to consider here. Is that if you shoot this bow or any bow at 500 f.p.s with a 400grain arrow you are dri firing the bow anyway you slice it. It would be the same as taking a 350 grain arrow and firing it of your Ravin or new Tenpoint that you own now. Maybe even worse. So unless your a bit of a fool why would you do this......?
So having said that your not really going to get 500 f.p.s probably more like 370 or 380 at best.
Is that a significant jump for the money and maintance to keep it going......?

what do you think.....? For some it certainly will be

The only other gain could be to shoot a real heavy arrow at about 460 f.p.s
Which would help you some place i guess. A hurricane maybe or for shooting though car doors or something.

what do you think.....?

Reactions: Iron Duke
#35 ·
When you go to an extreme parallel limb design and depend more on cam rotation rather tha limb deflection to propel the arrow, you might be very surprised with the result.
I'm thinking Ravin would not be shipping the 500s with 400 grain arrows unless their engineers knew the limbs and strings could take the stress.
Personally, I'm quite happy with my R10 and never had any problems with a complete pass thru on any deer. But I'm using a 434 grain arrow and my shots have all been under 40 yards.

I know one thing for sure. If the R500 proves to be reliable and accurate at long range and relatively maintenance free with a 400 grain arrow, it will be attractive to those who prefer not to use a heavy auto ranging scope. In fact, I'm betting that new Ravin scope with the adjustable turret for elevation will be very popular on the R500.
We shall see soon.

#51 ·
Maybe and good point but a wheel only has 360 degrees of rotation and only so many offset points. They are not going to reinvent the wheel.

When you go to an extreme parallel limb design and depend more on cam rotation rather tha limb deflection to propel the arrow, you might be very surprised with the result.
I'm thinking Ravin would not be shipping the 500s with 400 grain arrows unless their engineers knew the limbs and strings could take the stress.
Personally, I'm quite happy with my R10 and never had any problems with a complete pass thru on any deer. But I'm using a 434 grain arrow and my shots have all been under 40 yards.

I know one thing for sure. If the R500 proves to be reliable and accurate at long range and relatively maintenance free with a 400 grain arrow, it will be attractive to those who prefer not to use a heavy auto ranging scope. In fact, I'm betting that new Ravin scope with the adjustable turret for elevation will be very popular on the R500.
We shall see soon.

#37 · (Edited)
yep..should be real interesting

what grain weight arrow the bow ships with will be a really good indicator............................;)

That would be great if they really ship with a 400 grain arrow, but i suspect there is a reason for the new 500 grain Ravin arrow its not slow down the existing models. Of Coarse this all speculation but seems to be the new trend. The only manufacture that i know of that ships withe correct arrow to blow your bow apart is the Excalibur's......................................:D

Reactions: Iron Duke
#39 ·
You got that right!!! I'd probably sell both my Scorpyds.......Well,I'd HAVE to, to afford that thing! LOL

Reactions: Iron Duke and Yelpy
#40 · (Edited)
if it can really deliver close to 480 with 440 grain arrow i would have to have one.

Why 440 grain........? Thats about the normal build weight for a 20" Spynal Tapp or Bee with a 110 grain insert, nock bushing, vanes and your choice of a 100 grain head......the sweet spot is right there i.m.o.

Reactions: Tnmtns
#41 ·
if it can really deliver close to 480 with 440 grain arrow i would have to have one.

Why 440 grain. That about the normal build weight for a 20" Synal Tapp or Bee with a 110 grain insert, nock bushing, vanes and your choice of a 100 grain head......the sweet spot is right there i.m.o.
Yep! My 22" Tapps weigh in right at 447 gr...... Perfect for me!

#42 ·
Bird, mentions too about not wanting to deal with the weight of the Garmin or Oracle X.
Both are the same weight really. I have the Garmin and its un believable piece getting a target locked indication on the scope is just so cool. But from a real hunting stand point lugging this sucker out on to state land is not likely to happen when i have a few other lighter weight choices. When I can use my electric bike and cart i will use the Vapor with the Garmin unit at the bean fields.

Reactions: Moon and dynamo61
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.