Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post, and I’m entirely new to crossbows. A week ago I didn’t know the difference between a recurve and compound. After a nonstop week of research, I’ve picked up enough info to point me towards an Excalibur. (I’m also a revolver guy, so maybe that says something)

Anyway, I don’t want a takedown model, and I’m not quite ready to get one of the flagship 400+ FPS models. So that leads me to the axe/mag 340 and the matrix g340. I have seen very little info or reviews about the matrix g340. Of course, it’s a little bigger and little less expensive.

I was wondering:
1. Is there anything else different between the two? Is the axe/mag have newer or better tech/materials? Or is it just a smaller package with the same speed?

2. From a practical standpoint, how much more convenient is the micro series when out hunting?

3. Do these non takedown models “shoot loose”? I may have read that somewhere. Is that something that needs to be managed? And on a related note, from a practical standpoint, would the matrix be more durable, since it has similar speed with a little less draw weight?

thanks all.

·
1,709 Posts
Excalibur changed the name because Faradyne used the name Axe before they did.
Limb width isn’t a real issue. It’s largely a marketing thing.
The non takedowns never come loose if they are tightened correctly. The Takedowns do but it takes quite a while if adjusted correctly.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
All I can say is I have not owned a Micro Excal and probably will never do so. I have owned 2 Matrix Excals though and loved them both. They shoot great and there is little chance of limb breakage if you stay at 380 fps or below. My favorite is the Matrix 350 LE. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can't argue against what the first two guys said. But to specifically answer your question about materials.... The Axe/Mag has an aluminum rail, while the G340 has a synthetic rail. Lots of guys prefer the aluminum, but there is nothing wrong with the synthetic.

Find a place that has them both and go test handle and fire each for yourself.

For me my weak upper body and dexterity has the micro's handle way easier than the matrix/bulldog.

Reactions: JOE PA and dynamo61

·
2,901 Posts
As wheelsquad said, you should really go handle, cock, and shoot them. I’ve never found a Matrix limbed bow to be too wide. The G 340 will be smoother to cock with less late draw stack. That said, if you are short and strong, the micro may feel better to you. Can’t really go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I shoot a Micro and have shot several of the Exo model bows. No experience with the Matrix bows. I love my Micro but that said I could enjoy any bow built by Excalibur.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody so far for the info. Does anyone have any more information or opinion on the matrix g340 synthetic rail vs an aluminum rail?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
While not an opinion.there are some very nice Excal BD 355/360 Shadow models on fleabay about $550 area. I own one & i think its the cats meow ! It has very good speed using 400 gr arrows on up.I have charger crank on mine. I just love mine

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I´m started with crossbows, I asked the same questions about the differences between composite and alumium rail. I followed some advices and bought a Scorpyd with a composite rail. After today 1600 shots, the rail looks like new, no problems, great accuracy. I also own a bow with aluminium rail, the only difference for me is the different weight. The composite one is lighter than the alu one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I forgot. The aluminium one is a AXE 340, it´s my newer one. I like it, great bow, small, compact, good accuracy, long time resistance (limbs, etc.), I will see...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the matrix g340 have the anti dry fire system? I don’t see it listed on the website as having this feature. The axe/mag 340 does seem to have the anti dry fire.

If that’s true, how important is it? I assume I want the anti dry fire system but couldn’t really say, of course.

·
Registered
71 Posts
See your post as been out for a while now , so wondering which one if any did you decide on ?
Regards last post beleave you can retro fit the dry fire unit to a G340 ,

Do you need one ?

Better safe then sorry for you and the crossbow ,,,,,

I've a Axe 340 ,,,,,love it .
But curious about the GRZ2 and G340 they look very well built for a entery level crossbow ,,,,with way more then enough power for all my needs ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went a different direction. I stopped into an archery store and they had a bulldog 330. I picked it up and have been very happy thus far. Very accurate and still able to draw back with cocking rope. At the range I always use the crank and it’s simple. Out in the field I use the rope and it’s no problems to cock and de cock.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went a different direction. I stopped into an archery store and they had a bulldog 330. I picked it up and have been very happy thus far. Very accurate and still able to draw back with cocking rope. At the range I always use the crank and it’s simple. Out in the field I use the rope and it’s no problems to cock and de cock.
Very good choice

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got some very good advice regards arrows and Excalibur crossbows from members hear regards weight .

They like them heavy..... Regards Accuracy and reliability for limbs so I experimented and found around 450 grains worked well ,

Recently I switched to alloy xx75 Easton's fleched with 2 inch blazers .

I'm never going back to carbon for target use .

Absolutely the most accurate arrow and consistent POI I've used so far

I think you made a very good choice with the 330 bulldog , long limbs and lower fps output = reliable, accurate crossbow .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts