Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Going to try something new in 2020. I mean I'm not going to hunt anything, but looking for a budget-friendly beginner's crossbow for backyard target practicing.

This will be my first crossbow, so I did a ton of research, compared many feedbacks and opinions on review websites.
https://wildproofgear.com/best-crossbows-under-200/ - most of em suggest Jackal as the "best for beginners", "best under 200", "best under 400" and so on...

Do you guys agree with this statement? Would be very glad to consider your opinion as well.
$200-300 is something I am ready to invest in my first experience. I don't want to do tuning, boost or improve it from the start. Just to purchase and use it right out from the box as it is.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
It might have been at 1 time for the price. I've shot one . Its out dated now imo. I'd look at a Centerpoint Sniper 370. A much better bow with more features. More adjustable and customizable. Usually can be had in the $200 -$250 range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm new to the crossbow & I really enjoy hunting with mine. I started with a PSE Fang & later sold it (for pretty cheap too) & bought a KI Ripper. Just before the last season, I started checking the sights on my Ripper. One of the limbs suddenly de-laminated! I figured my bowhunting season was ruined. I contacted KI via this forum & I had a new bow section in my hands about a week later - THANK YOU KI!

Okay, long story now short. When the KI broke I was cussing myself for selling the Fang! I needed that "cheapie" as a back-up. After all, I had shot a deer & a hog with it & it had got me started. So I say, don't over obsess about your first Xbow. Once the X fever hits you, you'll know what you want & you will NEED a back-up for peace of mind!

Just FWIW....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm new to the crossbow & I really enjoy hunting with mine. I started with a PSE Fang & later sold it (for pretty cheap too) & bought a KI Ripper. Just before the last season, I started checking the sights on my Ripper. One of the limbs suddenly de-laminated! I figured my bowhunting season was ruined. I contacted KI via this forum & I had a new bow section in my hands about a week later - THANK YOU KI!

Okay, long story now short. When the KI broke I was cussing myself for selling the Fang! I needed that "cheapie" as a back-up. After all, I had shot a deer & a hog with it & it had got me started. So I say, don't over obsess about your first Xbow. Once the X fever hits you, you'll know what you want & you will NEED a back-up for peace of mind!

Just FWIW....
+1

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I bought a jackal for my son on clearance at walmart for $49.00. It shot 315 fps and was accurate. I put the scope from my ripper that had blown limbs twice on it and advanced the cams. 330 fps . if I could buy another for $49.00 I would but at $200.00 there are xbows that are money better spent. I now own a barnett ts 370 and a ts 390. Like them both but if I could only keep one. It would be the ts 370. Light,easy to cock,2.5 lb trigger with zero creep. I have custom strings and cables from Marty and it is shooting a 400 gn at 377 fps. It also has an adjustable stock. 32- 35 inches. This years model is a ts 380. A member recently bought one off ebay for $330.00.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
My daughter-in-law started off with the jackal. Seemed every time she sot it the zero had changed. Coulda been the scope but it was new with the bow. I blamed it on the plastic the scope rings mounted to. I'd look for something else if I were you.

·
Crazy Ol' Foole
2,458 Posts
I might have been the first one on this forum to buy a Jackal when they first came out. It shoots great, and I still have it, but as others have said that was years ago and there are others out now that I would shop for before I'd buy another one. The CP Sniper 370 is an excellent starter, and I would recommend it with a clear conscience.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Buddy that talked me into getting an xbow shot a jackal for about 5 years. Killed couple deer a year with it. It is a fully functional hunting xbow. That being said he now has an r10. That jackal has not seen the light of day since. He also cannot shut up about his r10.o_O

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am awaiting my first crossbow - a Fang LT, new in the box. I bought it from an archery shop on eBay and got it for under 200 bucks, with free priority mail shipping. It should be here this week.

For me, living in a remote part of AK, shipping is often a big part of the equation, when buying stuff. Amazon is AMAZING - I get my tires for my truck with free shipping - but not everything on there ships free. Alas, such was the case with the crossbows I was considering. Thus I went with the Fang I found on eBay. In a very close second - and maybe this'll be the next one if the bug takes me - were several CenterPoint offerings. I'm figuring worse case scenario is I like crossbows, and decide to give this one to my daughter and get a different one for me.

On the Barnett models... I really like the look of them, their appearance. But it seemed like there was just enough negative (not a lot) between them and the PSE and CenterPoint ones I was considering to put them on a slightly lower tier. I certainly hope yours works well for you.

By the way, the site on eBay that I bought mine from... they have more at that price and with free shipping. Not sure if that's something I can share; if not, let me know and I'll delete it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts