Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
89 Posts
Hi Navydad,

I spoke with Don Dzweicki yesterday. This fellow knows more about whats happening at Barnett than the folks in Florida know. Don says that they are begininning to get product into the pipeline and the Predator should begin delivery within a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, Don says that they have gone to either China or Taiwan for product. Don't know if it is any consolation, but the Taiwanese products can be good and the Chinese stuff can be pretty bad, but we won't know until it arrives.

The recent restructuring at Barnett has everyone wondering which product will be made in house and which will be out-sourced.

Jack

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outsourching

Unlike a lot of people I do not worry about outsourcing. Browning and Weatherby have both been make in Japan for years. Remington and Winchester have foreign made firearms.Springfield has factories in Brazil. I have an FFL and am in the gun business. More and more of the items I sell have oversea parts and put together here. I do not sell crossbows. I do worry about quality. It is a little hard on the "Made in America" boys but we are in a world market. It is difficult to find something that does not have some parts made overseas.

QUALITY QUALITY (shout shout) is the major issue. I am not convinced that it is necessary to pay an arm and a leg to get this.

Thanks for the info. I am also looking at the Quad 400. I now hunt with a 14 year old Horton. I will have a new crossbow for this years deer season.

navydad

·
89 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that you should look carefully at the Quad 400 that you want to buy.

Older versions have a "crowned" track that puts a lot of pressure on the string and cuts the serving. We overcame this by taking the stock to a local machine shop and milling down the track until we had total clearance. Later versions from the factory have already done this.

Jack

·
Banned
364 Posts
The old adage is never so true " You get what you pay for"

You buy cheap, you get cheap. NO if 's and's, but's or maybe's !!!

My very first C B was a Barnett Commando, Biggest POS I ever owned and I haven't seen much, if any improvement in them since that one!

BUT... if that's what trips your trigger, go for it. You have to live with it, no body else does :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello everyone. I work at Barnett and have the pleasure of being the company contact for Crossbow Nation and other forums.

The Predator is scheduled to ship at the end of March (initial production) and will then ramp up to full production. Preproduction samples have been shipping for a month.

The Predator is designed and built in the USA. Don Dzweicki is NOT correct, the Predator is NOT being outsourced.

BXB

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Barnett

Good to have a direct line to a person from the builder of a crossbow.

·
1,222 Posts
DaGriz -
My very first C B was a Barnett Commando, Biggest POS I ever owned and I haven't seen much, if any improvement in them since that one!
My first crossbow was also a Commando. It worked great for me. No trigger problems (though I don't recall the feel!), the cocking mechanism worked well, after a little fine tuning of the track, I could get 6 arrows touching each other at 30 yards.
Though I never got any "Robin Hood" shots like I did with my Darton Fireforce!

I'd like to get another, but the used prices are unrealistic...to me anyway!

I've had 3 other Barnetts since then....haven't "fully" liked any of'em since the Commando. And one of those was just bad all the way around!

Mike

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I had a Commando. Neat little bow, except for the fact it ate servings like a weed eater, lol. 20-30 shots max. In all fairness, I bought it used and after I got rid of it, found out it was supposed to have plastic sleeves where the brass cocking fingers pulled the string back when you broke it open to cock it. I took a couple of deer w/ mine at close ranges.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
BarnettXBows said:
Hello everyone. I work at Barnett and have the pleasure of being the company contact for Crossbow Nation and other forums.

The Predator is scheduled to ship at the end of March (initial production) and will then ramp up to full production. Preproduction samples have been shipping for a month.

The Predator is designed and built in the USA. Don Dzweicki is NOT correct, the Predator is NOT being outsourced.

BXB
Glad to see you here! I hate Barnetts! lol. What weight arrow are you guys claiming gets 375 fps w/ 128 fl lbs of ke out of the Predator?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for your question. I hope that the new and revised line will help change some minds regarding the quality and effectiveness of Barnett products. We have worked very hard improving issue areas and are paying VERY close attention to consumer comments.

The predator quoted speeds are based on a 425 grain arrow and it will shoot 375 fps (that is 132.7 ft lbs of KE).

We provide 22" carbon arrows with the bow that weigh 445 grains. With the 22" Easton carbon arrows we supply it will shoot 367 fps (133.1 ft lbs). The heavier the arrow the better.

We have designed the riser and the limbs to hold much more weight but detuned it slightly for the smaller stature shooters. I think that there is a market for a 225lb compound but that is up to the users to decide.

In the past we have quoted speeds using a "competitors" 400 grain arrow though it is not clear in the marketing literature. All new products will be quoted using the industry standard* 425 grain arrow (unless otherwise stated).

BXB

*Technically there is no AMO or ASTM standard weight for a crossbow arrow. Industry standard is loosely used and only represents a consensus of several crossbow manufacturers.

·
Banned
364 Posts
My question is why does Barnett offer only a 1 year warranty??? The big guys, offer a minimum of 5yrs and others a lifetime warranty.

IMO that doesn't speak well of Barnett's confidence in their bows to only warranty them for one year. Explanation please??????

·
89 Posts
BarnettXbows,

Perhaps my sentence was badly constructed. I did not mean to infer that Don Dzweicki said that the Predator was being outsourced. I meant that there was now outsourced product arriving, primarily the kiddie bows, etc.

As with NavyDad, I am also awaiting the release of the new model. I like to evaluate each bow on it's own merits.

There are plenty of bullies whose calling is to beat you up on these boards. I am NOT one of them.

Jack

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cadet Jack,

Yes, the youth archery line (i.e. kiddie bow) is outsourced. We still do all the preproduction testing and evaluation here (in Florida) but production is offshore on youth archery products. Every container gets QA'd as if it were a brand new product, product safety is our primary concern. The youth archery line is in a very cost sensitive market and most of the major competitors utilize the same production methods.

The warranty change actually reflects confidence in our products and product changes. To be quite frank, if someone were to have a true defect warranty issue the chances are it would happen within the first year.

Other than the transition period during the recent merger Barnett has always supported product. If someone were to have a issue beyond the warranty period, Barnett is known for supporting it's product.

The reason that Barnett is posting in this forum is the desire to get direct feedback from our current and future customers. Questions regarding the warranty are being noted and evaluated.

As a testament to our new responsiveness to customer feedback on these crossbow forums we have made two major changes:
The new R3 cam has added 8-10fps to all the Quad's and Rev's.
Machined aluminum trigger pulls have been added to all Quads, Rev's, C5's and Panzer V's to replace the "plastic trigger" pulls.

BXB

·
Banned
364 Posts
I can understand the thought process that if a warranty problem is going to occur it may well be within the first year. But I'd sure like to know that if I had a limb seperate 2&1/2 years after buying the bow that it would be replaced under warranty. It is one thing for a manufacturer to say they will take care of you after the warranty expires but a lot of the time that doesn't happen. I've had that happen a couple times when I foolishly bouoght products that I thought were good .
A warranty that is longer than one year gives a buyer a sense of security that the product is reliable and made to last. At least in my opinion. It's not an inexpensive purchase and I want some assurance that I can depend on it for several years. Most people buy a crossbow and use it four to six weeks out of a year and then not every day. That isn't a lot of use! If they have a problem after a year or even two years, they are pretty much S.O.L. for warranty work, per the stated time period.

·
Banned
364 Posts
I'm sure Barnett makes a decent crossbow and I know there are lots of people who use and like them. I was/am curious as to why the waranty is so short. To me, that really shows lack of confidence in the product by the manufacturer, no matter what the product is. :(

This forum is supposedly to find out info from manufacturers and Barnett has been good enough to have a presense here to answer question. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
In the past Barnett had a 1 year warranty and then changed it to a lifetime warranty. Now it is back to a year.

I have read a lot of comments and concerns from the forum regarding this and believe me I will bring it up.

Please feel free to PM me directly with any specific concerns that you may have.

We are dedicated to safety and product quality. Actions speak volumes more than chatroom text so please take a look at the quality and performance of the new 2008 Barnett bows firsthand and decide for yourself.

BXB

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a commando to and shoot it more than any of my bows it is accurate
out to 20 yds.and is soooooooooooo easy to cock target shooting is a pleasure. My 8 year old granddaughter can cock it.
I also have a barnett ranger 150 recurve that does good but both are to week to hunt with.
I have a barnett revolution that shoots very hard but is not very reliable, My first year i had it cocked in the truck going to hunt when one of the limbs
made a ripping noise as it split, sent it back to the factory and there went my hunting season. I had to lock the dial a range down to keep the scope
set. Got me a excalibur exomag and let my brother use it . He made it alright the first season but in the second he was aiming at the best deer he had seen at 20yds. when he pulled thr trigger the bow fell off the rail. I found out later that this was a common problem.

Tar Heel

1 - 20 of 48 Posts