Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can shoot 20 inch bolts out of the Barnett Raptor Pro STR? I just ordered one but couldn't afford to get any extra 22 inch bolts, but I have a few dozen 20 inch bolts on hand. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Donmiller50

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The Barnett Raptor Pro STR has a 16.25" power stroke and is rated at 400 feet per second using a 380 grain arrow-point combination. If using field points only, you can shoot a 20" arrow (this is the shaft measurement and does not include nock and field point length). If you plan to shoot fixed broad heads you have to use 22". If you notice, Barnett tested this crossbow using a 380 grain arrow-point combination to obtain 400 feet per second, but they do not recommend shooting below a 400 arrow-point combination. They are doing this with several of their newer crossbows.

As per Barnett's 400 grain arrow-point combination formula for every 10 grains over the 400, one loses 3 feet per second. For every 10 grains under, one gains 3 feet per second. This is only achieved on a well tuned crossbow.

Weighing a 22" Barnett Head Hunter arrow (with Easton label) and 100 grain field point, this arrow weighs 434 grain.
A high quality arrow is the Barnett Custom Head Hunter (no Easton label). This is a very rigid arrow and very accurate. Barnett informed me by email in early 2017, that they built their own arrows and permitted using 20". Again this will work for field points on this crossbow.

I shoot the Barnett Ghost 410 with a 15.375" power stroke which is shorter by .87 inch than the Barnett Raptor Pro STR.
I am able to shoot 20" arrows but I must stay to the small fixed broad head, mechanical broad head or the Toxic broad head as they fit into the hollow of the riser (the area where the riser bolts to the stock). For target shooting I shoot with 20" field points which is no problem.
All the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Barnett Raptor Pro STR has a 16.25" power stroke and is rated at 400 feet per second using a 380 grain arrow-point combination. If using field points only, you can shoot a 20" arrow (this is the shaft measurement and does not include nock and field point length). If you plan to shoot fixed broad heads you have to use 22". If you notice, Barnett tested this crossbow using a 380 grain arrow-point combination to obtain 400 feet per second, but they do not recommend shooting below a 400 arrow-point combination. They are doing this with several of their newer crossbows.

As per Barnett's 400 grain arrow-point combination formula for every 10 grains over the 400, one loses 3 feet per second. For every 10 grains under, one gains 3 feet per second. This is only achieved on a well tuned crossbow.

Weighing a 22" Barnett Head Hunter arrow (with Easton label) and 100 grain field point, this arrow weighs 434 grain.
A high quality arrow is the Barnett Custom Head Hunter (no Easton label). This is a very rigid arrow and very accurate. Barnett informed me by email in early 2017, that they built their own arrows and permitted using 20". Again this will work for field points on this crossbow.

I shoot the Barnett Ghost 410 with a 15.375" power stroke which is shorter by .87 inch than the Barnett Raptor Pro STR.
I am able to shoot 20" arrows but I must stay to the small fixed broad head, mechanical broad head or the Toxic broad head as they fit into the hollow of the riser (the area where the riser bolts to the stock). For target shooting I shoot with 20" field points which is no problem.
All the best.
Wow, that was the most informative answer that I believe is possible! Thank you so very much, I have a much better understanding now. I posted the question because I certainly don't want to damage my new crossbow or myself...and I haven't been able to find any info about that crossbow. I'm very grateful for you taking the time to provide me such a thorough explanation and answer. Have a great night and God bless you and yours!
Sincerely,
Donmiller50

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

All the best.
Sorry for being so late with this follow up reply, I live in Panama City Florida and we took a very hard hit from Hurricane Michael... and we are just now returning to somewhat normalcy.
I did purchase some Black Eagle Executioner 22" bolts and 125gr thorn broadheads. I upgraded the scope to the XB30...and absolutely love it! After sighting in the crossbow and dialing in the speed, it shows I'm shooting at 385 fps. My bolt/Broadhead combination is 450 grains. By doing the math (based on the info you provided) you are 100% correct! I lost exactly 15 fps in speed when I went up to the 450gr set-up... every 10 grains over 400 will cause a loss of 3fps, I'm 50 grains over (that's 10gr x 5 =50, which comes out to 5x3=15fps loss.)
I wanted to thank you again for your help, it proved extremely valuable.....I harvested a 5-point buck two days ago, and a doe yesterday! We lost a lot due to the hurricane and meat is seriously needed right now....thanks to your input I was able to put together a perfect hunting arrow/broadhead combination that certainly is bringing home groceries! God bless you and yours, happy hunting!
Don

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
SwampRat50: thanks for the up date and congratulations on the hunting success.

I watched the news on some of the terrible storms. Pretty sad.
All the best.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
My daughter-in-law just received this same bow and that was her question too. I'll let her know that it isn't safe to shoot the 20" arrows with expandables and she should bite the bullet and get more arrows. Thanks guys.

Reactions: bunnyrabbit

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sorry for being so late with this follow up reply, I live in Panama City Florida and we took a very hard hit from Hurricane Michael... and we are just now returning to somewhat normalcy.
I did purchase some Black Eagle Executioner 22" bolts and 125gr thorn broadheads. I upgraded the scope to the XB30...and absolutely love it! After sighting in the crossbow and dialing in the speed, it shows I'm shooting at 385 fps. My bolt/Broadhead combination is 450 grains. By doing the math (based on the info you provided) you are 100% correct! I lost exactly 15 fps in speed when I went up to the 450gr set-up... every 10 grains over 400 will cause a loss of 3fps, I'm 50 grains over (that's 10gr x 5 =50, which comes out to 5x3=15fps loss.)
I wanted to thank you again for your help, it proved extremely valuable.....I harvested a 5-point buck two days ago, and a doe yesterday! We lost a lot due to the hurricane and meat is seriously needed right now....thanks to your input I was able to put together a perfect hunting arrow/broadhead combination that certainly is bringing home groceries! God bless you and yours, happy hunting!
Don
I live in Pensacola...been over that way the past couple of weekends to help clean up. Cant believe how bad that storm was. Very good to see someone in good spirits and getting to live a bit more normal now. God Bless yall too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts