Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a crossbow to introduce my son to hunting. He's only 7 years old, but has been on numerous hunts with me over the years and wants to try it for himself. Here in Ohio he can hunt for up to 3 years with an apprentice license without any special educational courses to pass, but must be with me (licensed hunter) when he hunts.
He is very small statured, and there is no way he can handle a full sized stock (such as my Excalibur) and shoot accurately without a bench rest. We were in the local pro shop and he had a RC-150 with the stock extension removed on hand. It fit perfectly! I told him that was what I needed to get my son started and he said he would sell me one at cost to get him started.

Is the RC-150 a dependable crossbow and accurate enough for deer hunting at close (less tham 25 yards) range?

·
Banned
258 Posts
wabi you know the stories that are floating around,I had two of them
except for the trigger pull never had a problem,just watch the limbs
would he be able to handle a Vixevn or Phoenix,or a curve,Wyvern
shot one at an ATA show you might check with him!

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "length of pull" is way to long for him with a standard stock. He can shoot my Phoenix off sandbags on a bench (and very accurately, too) but he can't hold it comfortably to shoot from any other position.
I just hate to cut a stock down to fit him, then have him outgrow it in a year or two. As far as I can find the Barnett is the only crossbow with an adjustable length on the "butt" of the stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wabi, the barnett commando might be what you need mine is 150 lbs. and my 9 year old granddaughter can cock and shoot it. It is a self cocking bow and a recurve, all the old barnett recurves are small and light but the commando is the easiest to cock. You might check ebay they usually have some.

Tar Heel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts