Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a raffle I won the above mentioned crossbow, or the choice of $325. I love the thought of a back-up bow. And having a bow like a Barnett, to just screw around with in terms of experimentation with different broadheads/ arrow comb’s and such. I currently shoot a Wicked Ridge Invader X4 and like it a lot. I have no experience with Barnett, anyone with reviews or experience with this bow? What do you guys like, dislike, arrows and broadheads choices? Or should I just take the money and run? Anything helps! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I had the Barnett Whitetail Hunter STR Pro which I returned after a couple of days.
1)To remove the limbs and limb rockers to apply lithium grease to prevent squeaks
when cocking and shooting, the limb bolts had to be removed and then carefully
pry out the limbs and limb rockers. The coating or dipping removed the wee bit of
clearance that one normally has. Normally once the string and cables are off, the
limb bolts are only backed off a wee bit and the limbs will slide out.
2)the picatinny rail had to be shimmed as it was tilted down, there fore the scope ran
out of verticle adjustment.
3)I use the crank cocking device in my Barnett crossbows. The bushing in the stock is
too narrow and over size making for a sloppy fit. Using the crank on the right hand side,
I could not replace the cover on the left side due to too much machining.
4)the safety ratchet system would not fit due to the corners in the stock being rounded
due to the coating or dipping.

I can not comment on the scope because I am basically a target shooter and require a
higher power scope with a parallax adjustment for various shooting distances.

With the crossbow in the uncocked position, look from one cam to the other along the
bow string. Most crossbows, the bow string will hump up as it crosses the rail-stock. Adding
shims at the top where the riser meets the rail-stock will illiminate this and greatly increase
the amount of shots before having to reserve the bow string in the arrow-latch area. Also add
a wee bit of Gorilla Glue to the ends of all the servings. This is added insurance against serving
separation. Most bow strings, the serving in the arrow-latch area is not installed tight enough.

Trident Silicone Grease instead of wax is a high quality product that will not dry out or gum
up, but stays moist. I use this on the bow string, servings, cables and a light coat on the rail.

A good quality arrow is the Barnett Head Hunter which Barnett used to build in the spring of
2017. Carbon Express Pile Driver were good until they went weigh forward, where they put
less thickness near the vanes and moved it forward. I have had four arrows break just forward
of the vanes due to this,
At the present time I am shooting the Blood Sport Witness 20" arrow that averages 328 grain
with out a point. These arrows are built weight forward where they use a 95 grain brass insert.
The 22" weigh the same but use a 77 grain insert. These arrows are built in China for Plano
Synergy. They are high quality and if your crossbow is properly tuned, using a good rest, are
extremely accurate.

What I ended up doing with these arrows is pull the nock and take a 1/4" rod and nock out
the insert. I then re glued the insert in with Gorilla Glue. The reason being the brass insert is
pretty smooth so some of the arrows the original glue had nothing to properly bond to.

Built properly, this could have been a nice crossbow.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I kill deer with it. That's what it was bought for. Accuracy is on par with it's price point, so hunt accordingly. Mine gets shot maybe 25 times per year and most of that is just firing the decock arrow. I usually use this on 15-20 trips on the weekend, the others are compound bow, muzzleloader, or rifle days.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts