Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
If that is true then I can go faster, much faster. However, that much harder to rope cock.
As one advances the cams to increase speed, the axle to axle measurement lessens.
In the uncocked position, this gives more clearance between the bow string and the string
stops, if string stops are used. Personally, I prefer string stops that are adjustable.
All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions TOTR. Looks like Barnett made some improvements to the TS design. I'm especially interested in the adjustable cheek piece. How much vertical adjustment is there, and do you think this buttstock will fit on the TS-390 or TS-370?
I have haven't use the cheek pad yet but it will work as advertised and will probably use when I attach my VorteX Crossfire II BDR Xbow Scope.

I do not think the buttstock will fit TS series Xbows. It's using a tubular design stock tube for the butt stock to move forward and backward. I can say it quieter vs my TS370.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
As one advances the cams to increase speed, the axle to axle measurement lessens.
In the uncocked position, this gives more clearance between the bow string and the string
stops, if string stops are used. Personally, I prefer string stops that are adjustable.
All the best.
Take care.
Thank you for confirming what HunterThompson was suggesting. I wasn't clear so I could advance these cams. If that is the case OMG, this Xbow can go much, much faster but at risk to limb integrity. Interesting comments and provocative. Right now, I've never been a speed junky but it is jazzy to shoot a 425 grain arrow out of the box at 392fps with this 2020 Xbow I purchased on eBay for less then $300. Score!

Form factor this Xbow is very compact, a bit longer and extremely comfortable in my arms and no I'm not in a honeymoon phase. Typically one gets immediate feedback how the Xbow feels in your arms and if you shoot it. So far I'm extremely impressed. More to go before I give final impressions.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions TOTR. Looks like Barnett made some improvements to the TS design. I'm especially interested in the adjustable cheek piece. How much vertical adjustment is there, and do you think this buttstock will fit on the TS-390 or TS-370?
Note: This is Xbow is new series call XP and not the same as the TS series from Barnett. Two different models.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
All the best.
Take care.
So as you twist the cable you are advancing the cams to come closer to the bowstring?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Someone asked about the adjustable cheek pad on the 400XP. Gotta say it's lightyears better then the other check pieces I've tried. There is a side wheel on the side and it simply slides up. Tighten it down once you find proper eye relief and firmly lock in place. It's legit!!! I had trouble with the mounted Halo Scope eye relief prior to adjusting the cheek pad and gotta say hell yea. Score!

Man, more and more I am absolutely liking this Xbow. If that 15lb of crank pressure is accurate I'm buying in a New York Second and will take to Missouri to hunt. This Xbow is no fun to manually rope cock. Especially right now with my very jacked up back. The Barnett crank power on my TS370 is almost useless. It's not easy to crank and should not be that way. Fortunately, Farm Deer has fixed that with his Carbon Express modification and it works perfectly for me. Easy to crank. So much easier vs Barnett's current CCD offering. Note: I added a sled that fits my TS370 flight rail. Game changer!

Love to take this new 400XP with me to Colorado but I'm so dialed in with my TS370. Ain't no way. That still a bad ass Xbow and not going anywhere. It's officially my red dot Xbow.

Gonna get fun when I install my Vortex Crossfire II speed scope on my 400XP. If I sound spiffy excited, I am. That 7.1 lb weight with Vortex scope is a major value add to me.

To be continued........ I know Murphy's law could be out there to bring me back down to earth. :p

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
So as you twist the cable you are advancing the cams to come closer to the bowstring?
When one adds equal 1/2 or full twists to the single loop end of the cables to advance the cams,
you are wrapping more of the bow string around the cams, preloading the crossbow. This is where
you shorten your axle to axle measurement. When you do the, check to make sure the "Y" end of
the cable does not wrap up. If it does, no problem. Take one end of the "Y" and with out removing
or adding twists, bring it back around its partner. When done, recheck the timing.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Any chance of getting the crank system that Farm Deer is installing, installed on this crossbow?
Take care.
All the best.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Th
Any chance of getting the crank system that Farm Deer is installing, installed on this crossbow?
Take care.
All the best.
Hi Bunnyrabbit, thanks for your comments. Farm Deer is definitely option but I'm looking for a CCD setup that offers a better 1:1 ratio for limbs that are getting beefy. Plus there is no rush. Who knows what Farm Deer is doing these days. I do know he's having lots of fun with his m370 and Vortex Crossfire II. ;)

I'm in no rush and I'll let nature takes it's course. I gotta say I am extremely impressed with the Explorer 400XP. I've been a bit 400XP centric these past couple of days but need to get Colorado focused with my TS370 and Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot, I'm the camp chef, hauling two UTV's out there and now looking for water holes on my HuntOnX mapping. Need to find spots we did not hunt last Labor Day. Game on! 🏹

I will not advance cams until I have a better CCD solution. Once that is done I know I can shoot 425 grain arrows 400 fps if I want to. Lots of space between the bow string and the cams right now. :cool:

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Why are you not taking the XP 400 to Colorado? Sounds like you already have it shooting good.
I have to use a red dot. I have it dialed in on my HHA with my TS370 and do not want to start all over again. Since it's mounted on my TS370 that combo is such a legit shooter so I'm set to go. If I got it two months ago I'd probably do it but My 400XP is going to be my Scope bow for Missouri Hunt at Boarder Bucks. :cool: TX_RDXguy and myself will be syncing up for the hunt with a drive stop to meet HunterThompson for a day hunt and a few libations.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Mention was made where Barnett was supposedly coming out with a CCD in September
with a crank effort of 15 pound. For crossbows shooting 200 to 225 draw weight limbs this
is not a very good reduction. The Barnett series with the 185 pound limbs have a CCD that
is rated at 17 pound of effort.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Mention was made where Barnett was supposedly coming out with a CCD in September
with a crank effort of 15 pound. For crossbows shooting 200 to 225 draw weight limbs this
is not a very good reduction. The Barnett series with the 185 pound limbs have a CCD that

All the best.
Take care.
what is crank lb. On your carbon express?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

All the best.
Take care.
All I can report from the Barnett rep was he cranked the old and the new to come out and said that the new was significantly easier to hand crank. I'm not going to hold my breath on this one but will keep an open mind.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Money talks, the need for a easily useable crank will be a cash cow for any company, decockable will put them in another category. I will rope cock as long as able..

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Further note, the rep said they had to make changes for the newer higher poundage limbs and the Gen2 address that. Let's hope this info shared is true.

I know where they plan to put the CCD and regardless of my info shared I'm prepared to drill through my shooting rail stock because I still have my roller pin that Farm Deer built.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Nuff said! :p
Hi Tom ,
I enjoyed your reviews on all your toys . Well done!
I too have "leveled" ny string going across the rail. It took 1/16" shims to get the string just touching the rail on my Ripper. I have not checked bow speed but it shoots fine. I expect long serving life.
I noticed one trade off in doing the string leveling. Shiming the riser at the top of the joint increases the cable angle the same amount where they route under the rail. This change appears to add more rub between the cables. Maybe not a big issue over than shorter life but noticed.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Finding the sweet spot is our quest. I use lubriplate grease in that area. Gonna get some of the trident grease bunny brags on and start to use everywhere.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Finding the sweet spot is our quest. I use lubriplate grease in that area. Gonna get some of the trident grease bunny brags on and start to use everywhere.
Yep! I am aware of those counter reactions. I found Allen bow wax is very good for this. The compound I have has a high melting point. I heat it to rub it into the cables then it cools to cling to the fibers. Since it doesn't sling off like the softer was it forms a barrier that last much longer. I have been using it for a while after I found it had to be heated to apply because it sure was hard.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts