Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidden among the many proposed hunting regulation changes for the future in British Columbia is a proposal to effectively BAN the use of scopes on crossbows. Here is how it reads:

Scopes on Bows during Bow Only Seasons

Regulation Number: 2020-0-05

Region: Province-Wide

Regulation Type: General Open Season, Limited Entry Hunting

Species: All

Closing Date: January 17, 2020 at midnight

Decision Statement: Pending

Current Regulations:

There are currently no regulations that prohibit the use of a scope on archery equipment during bow only seasons.
Proposed Regulations:

Prohibit the use of scopes on bows during bow-only seasons

Rationale:

This proposed regulation was requested by the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team. For more information on the process that led to the request refer to the “Additional Information” section at the bottom of this page.

Crossbow technology has advanced in recent years and their operation has become easier; some users consider a modern crossbow to be more similar to a firearm than a bow. There is mixed support for crossbows during bow only seasons; many jurisdictions have prohibited crossbows during bow only seasons. In B.C., crossbows are still permitted. As a compromise between permitting and prohibiting crossbows during bow only seasons, it is proposed to reduce the effectiveness of modern versions of these weapons by prohibiting scopes.

Bow only seasons are intended to be short range (i.e. around 40 yards) hunting opportunities, and often allow hunting for classes of species (i.e. any buck or antlerless deer) that are not open through general open seasons when firearms are permitted. Historically, this opportunity was in place simply because the success rates of bow hunters was much lower than that of hunters with firearms. Advancements in crossbow technology has increased the range of crossbows closer to 100 yards, which was not considered when instituting short-range hunting seasons in the past. Prohibiting scopes on bows is thought to bring crossbows back into the short-range weapon category.

Under this proposed regulation the use of scopes on bows would only be prohibited during bow only seasons; scopes on bows would continue to be permitted during general open seasons.

Additional Information:

A sub-committee of the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team (PHTAT) with representatives from the B.C. Wildlife Federation, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C., B.C. Trappers Association, Wild Sheep Society, Wildlife Stewardship Council, and United Bowhunters of B.C., conducted a review of various hunting practices (methods, tools, and tactics), evaluated those practices against a set of criteria that reflect the principles of fair chase, and recommended management actions for specific hunting practices. These recommendations were accepted by PHTAT and were forwarded to the Province for consideration.

Factors that influenced or informed the Management Action Recommendation included:

Does the hunting method, tool, or tactic:

Negate wildlife’s ability to avoid detection?
Negate wildlife’s ability to escape once it has detected a threat?
Lead to an inhumane treatment of wildlife?
Lead to increased wounding loss/jeopardize a hunter’s ability to retrieve the wildlife?
Jeopardize public acceptance of hunting?
Result in higher harvest rates/reduced opportunity in the future?

Estimated difficulty in enacting a regulation.
Regulatory enforceability.

The Management Action options available for each hunting practice included:

Encourage/discourage the hunting practice through education and/or training
Regulate the hunting practice through legislative prohibitions
Monitor the hunting practice over the coming years to see if it becomes an issue in B.C.
Defer; not of concern and no specific management action or monitoring is required.

I acquired a crossbow due to multiple shoulder injuries that prevent me from using a compound or recurve any longer.
Both my eyes have had repeated surgeries and damage to the extent that I can no longer use iron sights. Period.

This proposal would effectively remove me from the archery seasons. I am far from alone in this situation.

Upon returned from my latest successful crossbow hunt 2 days ago, I learned of this nonsensical proposal.
Yesterday, I had a good long chat with my Lawyer over this matter.
He advises that should this be implemented, a very strong case for discrimination against seniors and / or handicapped individuals exists, and that he is more than willing to take this on. I will be directly writing the Chair of each of the organizations involved in producing this proposal, advising them that their organization will be named in a legal challenge should this proposal move forward. The same will also be sent to the wildlife ministry of BC.

In addition, I will be mounting a public awareness campaign over the next few days.

This is NOT a conservation matter. Period.
It does smack of spite and elitism, and I am simply not going to sit idly by while my hunting access is being directly attacked in this manner.

If the object is to increase wounding / loss rates for crossbow use they could not have dreamed up a better scheme...

BC Hunters / residents can voice their concerns / displeasure with this nonsense by logging in to their BC Hunter Account and then proceeding to the following link:

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

I STRONGLY suggest that any who can get their comments on this BS is ASAP!

Disgusted!
Matt

·
SE VA
13,745 Posts
Yep, a storm is brewing. Times change and when you think about why bowhunting was originally given a head start in hunting season, bows were considered a relatively close range hunting tool. Now the rage is all about which crossbow is going to reach 600 FPS first and marketing going nuts with “sub-1” and “your next rifle” crap. Once we lose our early season advantage, seeing what’s happening with crossbows now, we should not be surprised. JMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as I know Excal and TenPoint were the last holdouts that still offered a basic peep and pin setup and they quit offering those years ago. So if you are in BC what are you supposed to aim with on a modern crossbow? A red dot?

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Regardless if you use a scope or red dot,a crossbow is STILL a short range weapon! Not to put down any here that love their red dots,but using a scope does insure a more precis shot placement under most circumstances. You don't see many guys using open sights or red dot on their 30/30's,which most would consider a short range weapon also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well here we go. With all this advertising going on about this being your next gun what does one expect. It will not be long before our government gets a hold of this. And every one else gets on board the train, and it starts to snowball!

·
1,900 Posts
I agree. Crossbow industry is shooting themselves in the foot,,as it were. We have to have something NEW every year. Faster,,,you name it,,, making them more and more efficient.. Coarse Compound bow makers are just the same...For me it is still a Short Range weapon. 30 yrds max,,I don't care what mine is capable of. Compound users I know shoot farther so who says THEY, are short range ? With my eyes I also,,, could not hit much of anything without a scope.

·
SE VA
13,745 Posts
Regardless if you use a scope or red dot,a crossbow is STILL a short range weapon! Not to put down any here that love their red dots,but using a scope does insure a more precis shot placement under most circumstances. You don't see many guys using open sights or red dot on their 30/30's,which most would consider a short range weapon also.
I use red dot sights on all my crossbows, 45-70 Contender hunting handguns and some others. Common sense tells us that a 1x 3 to 6 MOA red dot sight does not offer the precision aiming that a typical 3x9 x scope does. If you want the absolute best chance to shoot every deer you see, then scopes are it. If you can be happy with limiting your shot range with a red dot sight and letting some deer walk without your shooting at them, while enjoying the light weight, smaller size, parallax free aiming, the red dot is it.
A 14” long huge objective lens 4-14x rifle scope sitting on a crossbow flies in the face of “archery” IMO, then you throw in the 500 FPS
craze.................none of that is going to help keep crossbows in archery hunting season. Rifle season, here we come:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I use red dot sights on all my crossbows, 45-70 Contender hunting handguns and some others. Common sense tells us that a 1x 3 to 6 MOA red dot sight does not offer the precision aiming that a typical 3x9 x scope does. If you want the absolute best chance to shoot every deer you see, then scopes are it. If you can be happy with limiting your shot range with a red dot sight and letting some deer walk without your shooting at them, while enjoying the light weight, smaller size, parallax free aiming, the red dot is it.
:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMHO with or without a scope, a crossbow is nowhere near a rifle (cartridge or muzzleloading) in effectivness or range.

With or without a scope the range for an ethical shot with a crossbow is still under 50 yards or so.
What is their plans for vertical bow hunters who take shots at game in excess of 50 yards?
Ban or restrict compound bows? Some of the newer compound bows shoot an arrow as fast or faster than a crossbow.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am saddened that regulation of a legal sport is looming.
In reading the OP it seems the driving course is without merit, there is no empirical evidence sited in the additional information. Without some multi-year historical data presented and it is at best anecdotal evidence Even empirical evidence would need to have sources sited and confirmed and interpreted correctly. Anecdotal evidence lacks foundation and is open for emotion to enter the argument.
An injunction against implementation is likely a plausible move to further study the issue.
Capricious laws can only divide.
Then as evidenced by the OP, an economic impact study could also be used to delay implementation.
My $.02 worth.
I wonder if as a possible NR hunter my voice could be heard?

·
13,230 Posts
"some users consider a modern crossbow to be more similar to a firearm than a bow." (Your next rifle!!!")
"Advancements in crossbow technology has increased the range of crossbows closer to 100 yards, which was not considered when instituting short-range hunting seasons in the past." (Rifle/Ravin 100 yards!!!)
Sound connected to the RAVIN BS marketing campaign???

·
Registered
Excalibur Exomax
665 Posts
I don't see well enough not to use a scope. They should consider that not everyone can hunt without a scope. I would be limited to about 10 yards.

I hate politicians and people who think they have to stick their nose in everything. Thank God Oklahoma is very crossbow friendly and has a very generous deer season. Lot's more deer around now than there was 40 years ago.

Bill

·
6,273 Posts
Regardless of how much we, individually, agree or disagree with the proposal, it exists. Of course, some of it seems totally irrational such as, “Scope usage leading to increased wounding rates....”.

Crossbow companies have the most to loose financially. However, many companies are operated totally amorally with just profit being the only determinate of right and wrong. It doesn’t take many of these, trying to fill and generate hunters’ wants, to have an extremely detrimental effect on the industry at large. . And , this effect is biting us!

I’m a target shooter and a hunter with v recurve, crossbow and smokeless MLer. Since even target accuracy/ranges can and will be misinterpreted as actual hunting ranges being generally advocated, my postings will be affected by what I read in this proposal.

We need to individually communicate to these companies that self-servingly advertise to the detriment of us and the industry at large, our displeasure at what they are doing. Will this work? Likely, not. Why? Because for every one of us, there’ll be 100s’s who buy the product because the advertising reached them. Still, expressing our thoughts is the right thing to do. Sometimes it can work as I’ll mention below.

KI’s ad people ran a “Rifle” ad. Displeasure was expressed by a # of crossbow users, and KI management stopped the ad. They chose what was “right” over a proven successful marketing practice. Obviously, not all companies are amoral.

Contacting offending companies and watching what we post that could be taken and twisted are two things that each of us can do.

·
SE VA
13,745 Posts
Like so many things today..........it’s all about the $$ and that also applies to many states that are seeing declines in hunters ($$$). That will largely offset the “BS” advertising that’s being used in an effort to maximize product sales ($$$) and the manufactures’ “mine is faster than yours” chase.
Realistically, only a minute few will ever shoot an arrow out of anything as accurately as they can a bullet at 100 yards. The comparison is IMO ridiculous.

I’m not parting with my Ravin R26 because of the “BS” advertising they’ve done. It’s a great innovative hunting crossbow that serves me well. I’ll be watching to see what they have at the ATA. Might even buy another one, while giving them hell about the rifle bit.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.