Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone! Well, after my initial problems with my constrictor which was discussed at length here on this forum I finally put my replacement scope on that has been sitting here for a month.My take on the BearX scope is to just stay the heck away from them. I'm fixing to put my Hawke scope back on it and call it done. Put the replacement scope on it from Bear and first bolt off the rail was ruined because it fell way short of the target at 20 yds. So I grab another bolt, make a lot of adjustment to the vertical and voila, another bolt ruined in the dirt because it fell short. So make yet more vertical adjustment, Lost count on the clicks, a bunch of 'em. Finally got it on the target at 20 yds. Made more adjustments and finally get it centered. I had the speed ring set on 380 so off to 50 yds I go. First shot off the rail, by now the third bolt, fell way short of the target and lost in the brush. So enough of the BearX speed comp scope for me. Costing me way to much money in bolts, time and effort. I will count that as a $200 learning lesson and enjoy beating the crap out of it with a 5 lb hammer.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
That is the reason that most scope instructions say to start at 10 yards when sighting in. It saves a lot of arrows.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
That is the reason that most scope instructions say to start at 10 yards when sighting in. It saves a lot of arrows.
Robert, I've learned that lesson as well. Now I start around 7 yards with any scope I try. Same for red dot sights. OMG, when I shot my Hawke XB-1 I almost missed he target. At 20 yards my arrow would have been in my privacy fence for sure. :eek:

Farm Deer gave a insight review of the BearX Speed scope. It may be in this BearX Constrictor thread.

What I've noticed on speed scopes you have to dial the speed rings higher than the real FPS speed. Have you chorono'd your BearX yet to find the FPS speed? What is your arrow grain weight shooting at 50 yards?

Sorry you had a bad experience. Good luck with the Hawke Scope. It's a great scope and use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TOTR! That was a first for me dropping that low and actually that is the second BearX speed comp scope and no directions but customer service will tell you all day long to start at 20 yds. The first BearX scope even put it on target first shot off the rail. But that is neither here nor there. Even after getting it sighted in at 20 it still failed at 50 yards. My bolts weigh in at 425 gn's. That was the reasoning behind setting the speed ring at 380 hoping it would shoot a bit high. Scope rings are tightened and loctited at 25 in lbs and everything installed using a level.So I am pretty sure it's not an improperly mounted or loose scope. I don't have a chrony so I don't actually know what my bolt speeds are but just guesstimating from what I have read here I am assuming around 395-400. As low as the bolt fell from the target at 50 yds I am guessing a 300 or 250 on the speed ring might get it on the target. But not going to take a chance on wasting another bolt for this otherwise useless scope.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
duly noted..... What size is your target. 20" x 20"?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have to go measure but that is probably about right. It's one of those high density foam targets. Anyway, the hawke is back on it and everything is right in the world again. Consistent, reliable shots every shot. I like the view and reticle system in the BearX much better than the hawke but the BearX just aint hitting on a hill of beans for me. I've hunted with the hawke on my other crossbow for several years without issue so I will just let it continue to do it's job on the constrictor.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Yea, I like my Hawke XB-1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts