Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up around bowhunters and learned alot about compound bows. Never had the time to practice with one, I til last year and then I got hurt and doc says no archery for a few months at least. So that drove me to getting a xbow. Now what things can i take from the things I've learned from compounds and apply to xbows? I'm learning about this all by myself because nobody I know shoots xbows. Even the local bow shop I bought mine from didn't seem to helpful they lean more towards vertical bows.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
I bought my first crossbow online and learned to shoot it on my own. I think you will find that is very common on these forums. I learned a lot asking questions online. There is still no crossbow dealer anywhere close to me and I am not aware of even a bow shop being around anymore.

·
8,899 Posts
Keep your … fingers away from the string at all times, under all circumstances. With 150lb to 320lb limbs vs 40lb to 70lb vertical bow limbs, you don't just get a cherry red friction burn on your forearm, you lose a finger!

Reactions: LostinTexas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keep your … fingers away from the string at all times, under all circumstances. With 150lb to 320lb limbs vs 40lb to 70lb vertical bow limbs, you don't just get a cherry red friction burn on your forearm, you lose a finger!
What xbow did you buy ? Have you been shooting it ? Do you have specific questions ? Lots of help available here. Beware you may find you will like the x-bow more than you do or did the verticle. Welcome to CBN !

·
Registered
275 Posts
#1 Follow through. If you are a good shot with a compound bow, then you probably have good follow through - or simply you concentrate enough on the sights that you don't move anything until the arrow is off the string. Compared to a gun, you need more follow through with a bow simply because it takes a lot longer for that arrow to launch than it takes a bullet to leave the barrel. Going from a compound to about anything works well. Going from a gun to a bow, many will need to work on their follow through. Most of the best shots (with a gun) I've known, also shot compound bows.

#2 - If in your time with a compound bow, you accumulated approximately 137 aluminum (good usable) arrows, there is no reason you can't cut these down, change nocks and use the with the crossbow. When I got serious about hunting with a crossbow, I chose to stick with aluminum arrows largely because new ones were cheap (compared to carbon) & I had so any old shafts to convert. I also recall one of my earlier crossbows was pretty loud with carbon arrows but noticeably less loud with AL. Plus if you can put the arrow where you want it, heavier is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm 66 and 5 years ago had to put the compound Mathews bow away. Same as you learned about it on my own. Still hunt with that Excalibur Matrix. I watched videos on Excalibur web site to learn as much as I could about it. The Excalibur is a fairly simply crossbow. Recently this summer I ventured into the cam crossbows with a Killer Instinct Boss 405. Again there was more to learn with these bows and the dealer knew as much as me where I bought it. Videos help on care of these bows. I still miss the simple days of my Black Widow hunting bow and target bow. I made my own strings for those bows and it was like carrying a tooth pick when I was young. Just take your time as others here said keep fingers off rail. You'll get comfortable with whatever crossbow you have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought my first crossbow online and learned to shoot it on my own. I think you will find that is very common on these forums. I learned a lot asking questions online. There is still no crossbow dealer anywhere close to me and I am not aware of even a bow shop being around anymore.
Sounds like my Story, not such a long time ago like robertyb.
plus, reading all available books about modern crossbows und arrows, quite rare in my region, reading a lot in CBN forum, asked questions here, looked many Videos on YouTube about xbows technique, safety, Reviews etc., and it works.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A lot of good advice already poste.

For someone who was already a bowhunter there are a few things directly translatable that will be readily familiar - arrows and trajectory, broadheads and field points, strings and servings, and the archery vital zone/shot selection is pretty much the same. A few CB advantages are not having to time just the right moment to draw, clothing messing with your shooting form, a scope with a lighted reticle vs a peep, a few less tuning issues, can shoot it right or left handed, and can set up a solid shooting rest if hunting from a stand or blind. A few disadvantages are - harder to make a follow up shot, bow is easier to carry all day and definitely better choice for spot and stalk, much easier to make a surprise-opportunity shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts