·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,832 Posts
I like wheat, oats, and rye grass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We plant a lot of winter rye (cereal). Cold hardy and even germinates down in the 30's.
It's not a perennial but if mowed after seed has set under the right conditions the next year you can get some regrowth.
Anymore clover and the rye is all we do.

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,832 Posts
Grain rye I hope. Rye grass is not good for food plots.
I just put out the throw-and-grow rye to compliment the bare spots in my plots. It doesn't keep the deer out whichever type I am planting and it doesn't seem to hunt the deer either. Theyre feeding HEAVY on the greens now....hardly hitting the corn at all except during the nighttime hours.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about a perennial grass? We have good luck with orchid grass if we keep it short-like 8 inches,than it is nice and tender.
Tried a little Rye before-but not sure if had rye grass or grain rye?
We had a lot of clover last year,but pretty much gone by late crossbow season and the rut,turnips the same thing-ate us out early.

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
How about a perennial grass? We have good luck with orchid grass if we keep it short-like 8 inches,than it is nice and tender.
Tried a little Rye before-but not sure if had rye grass or grain rye?
We had a lot of clover last year,but pretty much gone by late crossbow season and the rut,turnips the same thing-ate us out early.
If it grew and looked like grass it was rye grass. If it grew a bushy head like wheat or oats it was grain rye.
As for eating you out of food early the answer is plant a bigger food plot or several of them.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
That is the easiest planting crop you can find. Just over seed the plot and it will grow!
Yes, I planted a small plot with it last September and the deer loved it.
It’s loaded with wheat grain now. When should I cut it or spray it with Gly. I won’t be planted that small food plot until Fall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.