Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’m a traditional bow/rifle hunter looking to get into crossbows and could use some help. Based off a $400ish budget and it being Black Friday/Cyber Monday what would be your choice of bow? I was hoping to get your input last week but it took awhile for my account to get approved. Since time was limited and based of my limited research I purchased two crossbows with the intent to return one based off your input. Between the wicked ridge invader x4 with accudraw and Barnett ts390 which is better? Or is there something that is better bang for buck?

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I have owned the TS390. Great Xbow and fast shooter. Snazy features with STR and like the retractable butt stock. I know what it can do and it can shoot long and straight quite accurately. Big fan of machine rail Xbows and trigger tech is industry leader trigger box for crossbows.

Personally, I like it's little brother TS370 a bit better. Personal preference. When tuned with TLC it will shoot 403 grain arrow 373-378fps and can go faster if you want to push on the cams. It's not as fast as the TS390 but lighter to carry if you are walking a bit.

Regardless of your decisions you have great options for a great deal this time of year. This really gets down to personal preference.

Good luck and welcome to CBN.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For me it’s all about the trigger. I’d honestly consider saving and buying a little more up the food chain. You will honestly want a speed rated scope in the future. Barnett has a great trigger but I’ve heard bad things about there customer service. If it was me I’d find a CenterPoint Patriot with the cocking aid as part of the package deal on eBay or I’d go with the Amped. It ranked 5th best in the crossbow shootout. If you wanted to go further you could always pickup a 79.00 ravin scope off eBay also. The trigger is pretty good on them from the factory but a guy on here does trigger jobs and upgrades the arrow retainer also. They both are the same bow and will shot a 400 grain arrow at 385. You have lots of room to continue to make it better if you ever choose to or you can love it as it is. It can easily be had for under 400 and is pretty narrow with a collapsible scope.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The TS390 is not a bad package but it is a Barnett ;)

I'd also suggest looking at the Patriot or Amped. The tactical adjustability is nice, the narrowness is good and they shoot in the 380/390 fps range and this xbow is quiet. They are $285.00 on Sale at CenterPoint but are out of stock for a couple weeks.

I'm the trigger guy and getting it to a 3 lbs with 1/8" creep is a $115 investment and puts the bow in the upper class of triggers in 350+ fps xbows. The Ravin scope from Wyvern for $80 is a good step as well.

$285+115+80=$480 but you have a very good setup that runs well with xbows 2 to 3 times the cost.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
The TS390 is not a bad package but it is a Barnett ;)

I'd also suggest looking at the Patriot or Amped. The tactical adjustability is nice, the narrowness is good and they shoot in the 380/390 fps range and this xbow is quiet. They are $285.00 on Sale at CenterPoint but are out of stock for a couple weeks.

I'm the trigger guy and getting it to a 3 lbs with 1/8" creep is a $115 investment and puts the bow in the upper class of triggers in 350+ fps xbows. The Ravin scope from Wyvern for $80 is a good step as well.

$285+115+80=$480 but you have a very good setup that runs well with xbows 2 to 3 times the cost.
Only concern is voiding warranty if you work on trigger box. If buyer is okay knowing that then a green light option. I'd take my chances on TS370. ;) Trigger box is good out of the box and TS370 is legit Xbow. I have two now. You can buy new on Ebay for $306 delivered.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Only concern is voiding warranty if you work on trigger box. If buyer is okay knowing that then a green light option. I'd take my chances on TS370. ;) Trigger box is good out of the box and TS370 is legit Xbow. I have two now. You can buy new on Ebay for $306 delivered.
I guess if you are claiming work that involves the trigger and they want the bow back, it would be an issue. In the 3+ years of doing triggers, I've never seen an issue surface on a trigger box that required Warranty work but anything is possible. Generally CP sends repair parts out or exchanges the entire xbow.

The Sniper 370 is $180 delivered from Amazon and for $85 and a little work, you can have a trigger equal to the Barnett with about the same pull. Trigger Techs "zero" creep has a measurable 1/8" pull which is short by xbow standards and the 3 lb pull is pretty typical for good xbows with limbs under 200 lbs.

The TS series bows do have a lot going for them if you can get past the Barnett syndrome ;)

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Duly noted on all counts. Lots of options beyond these two crossbows for sure.

Reactions: mike-s

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Seeing as you have already bought both crossbows I'd shoot 'em both and pick the one I liked the best. Good luck to ya!:)

Reactions: TomOnTheRun
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.