Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier the 18-1 was recommended and it shoots well but it is too small to shoot arrows into to check nock placement. What is a good flat faced target that will hold with the ability to place paper with individual dots to shoot at that will last? Probably send the 18-1 back for a bigger target.
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I highly recommend the Spyder Web for field points. This target is shoot able on two sides with easy arrow removal. Enclosed are a couple of dot target pictures I print on card stock as the paper is tougher. The small dot is 1/2" while the larger is 1". I also use the stick on dots available at a computer or stationary store and put one in each 1" square of the 1/2" dot target. This gives me an additional 80 shooting spots. Installing a new sheet, just move it over a bit so one does not shoot the same hole. I use the Gorilla tape to hold the target sheet on to the Spyder Web, one piece at each corner.
I shoot the 1/2" dots up to 50 yards and the one inch dots 50 yards and farther.
This target is good for the high draw weight crossbows, even at close range.
Red Games Line Pattern Design
Red Line Pattern Design Games

All the best with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What silicone do you use to keep the arrows from sticking in the 18-1?

I have to go to the farm tomorrow and will shoot in my 7mm-08 Savage with the new scope that I picked up when the Nikon scope crashed. The little rifle will put holes together at 100 yards and I use sand bags.

I have a Caldwell bench rest that I will bring home to shoot the arrows in. It shoots a different zero for me vs the bags but should work well to shoot arrows in to ck the spine.

What targets do you use to stop the broad heads?

·
2,312 Posts
Earlier the 18-1 was recommended and it shoots well but it is too small to shoot arrows into to check nock placement. What is a good flat faced target that will hold with the ability to place paper with individual dots to shoot at that will last? Probably send the 18-1 back for a bigger target.
Thanks,
If just shooting fieldpoints, it will be tough to find a target that outlasts a DIY range target from Third Hand Archery.
http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=23.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
What silicone do you use to keep the arrows from sticking in the 18-1?

I have to go to the farm tomorrow and will shoot in my 7mm-08 Savage with the new scope that I picked up when the Nikon scope crashed. The little rifle will put holes together at 100 yards and I use sand bags.

I have a Caldwell bench rest that I will bring home to shoot the arrows in. It shoots a different zero for me vs the bags but should work well to shoot arrows in to ck the spine.

What targets do you use to stop the broad heads?
I use the Rinehart Rhino Block XL target that measures 18" x 18" x 13". This target is shoot able on all sides: 4 for field point and 2 for broad heads. At the start it is hard to remove arrows even when I lube the front 3 to 4 inch of the arrow shaft. A target like this is required for the high draw weight crossbows and works very well at close distances. I rate this target as tops: 1)for broad head stopping power with high draw weight crossbows and 2)it is portable so it is easy to move.
Dice Toy Pattern Baby toys Games

I have done a lot of target testing. If you watch you tube videos: 1)observe the distance the shooter is from the target, 2)the amount of arrow that has not penetrated the target, 3)most videos show shooting with a vertical bow that does not come close to the draw weight of a crossbow. The farther the shooter is from the target, the lower the bow draw weight, the less arrow penetration and therefore the easier the arrow removal.

For lubricant I use the Trident Silicone Grease, available on the internet in a 2 fluid ounce jar. This is a high quality product that does not dry out or gum up but stays moist. It is used on my crossbow and vertical bow.

Product Joint Pet vitamins & supplements

All the best with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the advice. I had moved this over to the correct board instead of general.
I shot the 18 three times and the fp's were hard to get out. I thought that KY might work. ;) :)
but this looks better.

Bunny- I do appreciate all the work you do and the testing. Things have changed since I had the old Quad 4 from years ago.

Before I send the 18 back is there an easy way to set up a flat target to shoot at it? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
To help keep the 18 from turning, one could put a couple of stakes in the ground behind it. The problem I see is the flat area of this target is small. Personally, I would return it if this is allowed for something where the front area is larger.

Another target I have tested is the Morrell 21 Hi Roller Dice target. This target is good for field point and broad heads, shoot able on all 6 sides with either arrow point. Broad heads easily cut the target up, then the field points push the cuttings out. This target has to be staked or strapped down to prevent turning if shooting off to one side as it is very light.

My Barnett Ghost 410 tuned to shoot a 400 grain arrow-point averaging 445 feet per second required another back up target set approximately 4 inch behind the Hi Roller at 50 yards to prevent a loss of an arrow.

I have never shot the Matrix, but this target can have sections rotated or replaced when they get damaged. A few years ago I inquired about this target and shipping to Canada. Shipping along with the currency conversion and import fees is the killer to bring any product into Canada. The company offered me a reduced shipping rate if I had a drop off spot in the U.S.A. which I thought was very nice of them. If I was running an archery business etc., a trip say once a month, picking up a large quantity of items would be worth it, but not single or small amounts considering the fuel cost.

All the best with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
16,627 Posts
Thanks,
Are you looking for a broadhead only target, a field point target or a dual target?
Broadhead target = Blob 20"
Fieldpoint target = Spyderweb 20" No Limit
Dual ? Buy the two above and be happy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the broad heads are hitting same as the field points I doubt that I will shoot a lot of BH's at the target.
Just looking for a target to sight in that is good for both preferable less than 100$.

I want to tune these arrows first.
If I can get time I bought some real mechanical BHs and their counter parts from China. I wanted to do some measurements and look at quality on these different products to see what they will do and not do. My Whisper 390 will probably shoot the new arrows the board help me find at 350-365 range. Mossy oak and Decimates to see how they act.

I have a place for using the xbow next year. In Central Texas a friend has land and 100 acres on the edge of town that is over run with deer and some Axis. On the rest of the ranches I can shoot hogs and dogs and take pictures of all sorts of animals from book deer to elk and red deer or buffalo and lot of other animals. Oddest and ugliest looking are Japanese swamp deer.

·
Registered
16,627 Posts
In that situation I would buy a good broadhead target and make a bag target myself. I shot a few hundred shots into a Yellow Jacket broadhead target before buying a Blob and it is under $100. It is not near shot out. But do not shoot a fieldpoint into it unless you are very strong or have a very good arrow puller. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry ran out of time and lost rest of post above.

Bunny- Morrell 21 Hi Roller Dice target. This target is good for field point and broad heads, shoot able on all 6 sides with either arrow point. Broad heads easily cut the target up, then the field points push the cuttings out.

Question? Finally found the dimensions came out to 13" x 13"x13' Looks like a good target but small to shoot out 50 Yards.
Any thing else for some one that will probably not shoot more than 300 arrows this year unless something happens.
Tune the Decimators and Mossy Oaks then shoot in with field point and the broad heads.

Still trying to stay under 100$ if possible. I have too many hobbies: Hunt, fish (fresh and saltwater), wild game photography, little golf and small farm with cattle.
Thanks,

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Morrell Yellow Jacket Archery Bag Target - 195
S
aw this on sale and states for fp and BH but no dimensions given. I returned the 18-1 as too small.

I am guessing this is an old yellow jacket model and not listed on the site at all for some reason.

Looking for a less expensive bag to ck the arrow flight with Bunny's targets then sight in with BH.
Probably will not shoot again till September with all that is going on plus three new grandkids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.