Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating a hard case for my Viper, but after looking over the TP Stag case, I am not sold on it's use for airplane travel. I also don't like the whole "Storm Flap" idea for the stirrup. Any recommendations on hard cases that are robust and more innovative? PS- I currently have the Blazer soft case. Not a huge fan of it. One tie down strap is not enough IMO. I also feel it lacks enough protective padding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Stag case and fully trust it for riding in my truck or on the back of my four-wheeler. I added a few foam pieces to balance the limbs a bit. My quiver fits and secores nicely with the provided velcro strips. My Viper is held rock steady by the provided padding and velcro lockdowns over the rail and and rear of the stock. It has no internal or external zippered pouches, but there is plenty of room inside for a pouch of your choosing (6X9 zippered cordura pencil case or one of those zippered pouches many add to a backpack) for all your extras. I don't trust it for airline baggage use, as there are too many ways to get it crushed. It offers far more protection than any padded soft case, but for ariline travel an SKB type case would be a better choice. It is a good balance between weight and protection for most uses. It is also very narrow and compact when compared to my soft cases. The Stag is my go to case for the Viper.

·
239 Posts
I'm using the Plano Spire for my Viper. The only complaint I have is that they're pretty stingy with the amount of foam that comes with it. Better plan on adding some of your own...

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
if you’re looking for great crossbow case for travel then contact Wyvern Creations and ask about the SKB case.
The Tenpoint Stag case is nice, but the SKB case is built like a tank and made to custom fit your crossbow.
Here’s a video of mine.

Reactions: BULLDOGGBOYZ

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Stag case and fully trust it for riding in my truck or on the back of my four-wheeler. I added a few foam pieces to balance the limbs a bit. My quiver fits and secores nicely with the provided velcro strips. My Viper is held rock steady by the provided padding and velcro lockdowns over the rail and and rear of the stock. It has no internal or external zippered pouches, but there is plenty of room inside for a pouch of your choosing (6X9 zippered cordura pencil case or one of those zippered pouches many add to a backpack) for all your extras. I don't trust it for airline baggage use, as there are too many ways to get it crushed. It offers far more protection than any padded soft case, but for ariline travel an SKB type case would be a better choice. It is a good balance between weight and protection for most uses. It is also very narrow and compact when compared to my soft cases. The Stag is my go to case for the Viper.
Forgot to add.......I had one of those SKB cases for my Mission Sub 1. It was near bulletproof and would survive most anything an airline baggage handler could throw at it. However, it was very heavy and awkward to handle. For me, it was only suitable for long term storage or airline use. Unless someone comes up with a new design, case selection may come down for you to a compromise. It was for me. None of the cases presently offered are perfect for every application. I don't intend to fly with my crossbow, so the Stag was the right compromise for me.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I am contemplating a hard case for my Viper, but after looking over the TP Stag case, I am not sold on it's use for airplane travel. I also don't like the whole "Storm Flap" idea for the stirrup. Any recommendations on hard cases that are robust and more innovative? PS- I currently have the Blazer soft case. Not a huge fan of it. One tie down strap is not enough IMO. I also feel it lacks enough protective padding.
The STAG case won't work with our TP Vapor because of the Sig Sauer Sierra3 scope so we use the soft case for local travel.
Other than that, the STAG is a pretty darned solid case for putting in a trunk.
For airplane use, maybe not, I would get a Pelican but they are pricey.
I think Member Allnitroedup uses a Pelican and even did a video review on the forums here.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I use the stag case and the Tenpoint soft case for hunting. If I ever plan a trip and fly, I’ll use the SKB case.
Like scienceguy said, the SKB case is heavy and awkward to move around.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you’re looking for great crossbow case for travel then contact Wyvern Creations and ask about the SKB case.
The Tenpoint Stag case is nice, but the SKB case is built like a tank and made to custom fit your crossbow.
Here’s a video of mine.

Niiiiccceee! SKB and Pelican make some great cases for sure! I have a pelican for my drone. That being said, I will worry about it when and if I need to get on a plane with my bow I guess. Maybe the Stag will be good enough for the truck and the 4 wheeler. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking about having another hook and loop strap sewn in to my Blazer case. I like it as a soft case except for only having one strap. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this subject!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts