Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions for the best hunting knife under 150 that will get me through deer season and possibly field dress a hog or two. Just looking for a knife for field dressing. Thanks

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,586 Posts
My butcher says these commercial grade knives are great! And they don't cost much, like most 'hunting' knives! He makes the fancy ones too, but even just his commercial grade knives are awesome. They hold an edge incredibly well.
They're only about $20ca I think. I got a bunch of them... If you don't have a comercial knife maker near you, you could order from him, I'm sure.
http://www.caribouknives.com/

·
Registered
710 Posts
I tend to agree.
With knives, there seems a big advertisement and show-off factor involved. Would I really need an ugly [email protected] knive for 200+ $ ? As with many other things (like xbows), you don't get double performance for double price.

I often carry a cheap USMC replica for 25 bucks, but even using it as hatchet replacement, the edge is still razor sharp. For my 3D adventures I use a 11€ knive, more then sufficient to pick arrows out of wood and roots. It was so cheap because it originally had just a paracord string wrapping as handle.
Both blades are made of 440A steel, which is more then appropriate for most of my requirements.
And loosing or breaking it will not make you break out in tears ...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a couple of different models of buck knives, straight & folders that I like. I also have an old original Boy Scout knife that I really love to carry. It's made by Western, probably from the 1960's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a field dress kit in my bag and I always keep a buck paklite caper and a havalon piranta. I also always have a knife on my side. Usually a mora knife.

·
Registered
547 Posts
A knife is a tool. That said; You get what you pay for. I would never cheap out on a knife. Ever. My life may depend on it.
DLT Trading has a sale going on the Bark River Brokk in black canvas for $130.00.
Designed by Dan Tope and hand made at Bark River Knife in Escanaba, Mi. Lifetime Guarantee.
A2 tool steel, convex grind. Nice little knife, I could gut, skin, qtr, and butcher anything I hunt in these parts with one.

DLT Trading is a family owned knife store; online too. Ships real fast; if it is on the site store they have it in stock.

Good people.

Miner

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I love Scrade knives. I have a twenty nine year old scrade sharp finger my buddy bought me for being his best man at his wedding. I usually carry it in my pack all the time.
I also have three buck knives. A 110,116 and a skinner....
I find it really tough to get a good edge on the skinner.
I like a knife that can be touched up with a little hand held sharpener....
A keen edge that lasts is good but when it gets dull , it’s a pita to get back sharp....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Cutco for sure, I never had a knife that stays so sharp for so long, then just send it in and they sharpen for free.
Made in Olean NY about an hour from home. Take Jamie's advice you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cutco for sure, I never had a knife that stays so sharp for so long, then just send it in and they sharpen for free.
Made in Olean NY about an hour from home. Take Jamie's advice you won't be sorry.
So funny that you reccomend cutco, I use to sell cutco, for vector marketing after my freshman year in college. You can make a lot of money but you have to start off selling to family and friends.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My favorite huntin/camp/skinning knives are Mora’s. Cheap, tough, razor sharp out of the box, easy to sharpen and maintain, and did I mention CHEAP. Mora knives are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My favorite huntin/camp/skinning knives are Mora’s. Cheap, tough, razor sharp out of the box, easy to sharpen and maintain, and did I mention CHEAP. Mora knives are pretty awesome.
The blade is very thin, which makes it unusable for certain tasks.
But o.k. otherwise, especially for the money.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interesting topic. I have so many knives my wife screams when she sees another ! lol
I have custom made that were $400 great knife but heavy . I have surgical blades with the changing blades ( a few different models) and I usually go back to carrying my buck folders. I sharpen them on a work sharp and they will skin a deer no problem without re sharpening until; i am done. They cut thru rib cages and keep going. I had a couple of the replaceable blades break when trying that . nothing like gutting a deer in the dark and finding out that you have a broken surgical blade floating around inside

·
Registered
96 Posts
The blade is very thin, which makes it unusable for certain tasks.
But o.k. otherwise, especially for the money.
Have you used Mora’s? Or knives with Skandi grinds? They’re very tough. Skinning and quartering a deer isn’t difficult or hard on a knife. I’ve done it with a Case trapper knife. I’ve used Mora knives for all kinds of chores. I can’t think of any task in hunting or camping that a Mora can’t do.

What tasks are you referring to that a Mora can’t do?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have several I like. The Mora works. I have a Bark River that was a gift that works really well. My Benchmade Griptillion has field dressed several deer successfully. I have a couple different Puma models I've had good luck with, including one my dad gave me when I was 15 fifty years ago. The newest Puma is SGB Hunter 6817500W. It was not expensive and holds an edge really well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts