Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....been away for a while and kinda getting the itch to get ready for deer season and I'm considering a new crossbow. I have a Mission Sniper Lite but there are some things I don't like about it and, to be honest, I've never been impressed with it's accuracy and consistency. The local dealer I purchased from is now out of business and I frankly don't trust any others around when it comes to technical help and customer service.

Who would you recommend for online retailers that provide great customer service?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Wyvern is great, a crossbow only dealer and has a very nice web site and provides excellent customer service. Borkholder Archery and South Shore are also popular.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. I have been looking at the Wyvern site and do recall how popular they are here. Easy choice. Now which bow.....hard choice!!!

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Thanks fellas. I have been looking at the Wyvern site and do recall how popular they are here. Easy choice. Now which bow.....hard choice!!!
So many choices......

Here are some high level "things that might help in that process, which you may already know.

• How important for you is having a simple crossbow like a recurve?
  • Is a crank style cocking system necessary?
  • Do you have a budget?
  • Do you have a minimum speed requirement?
  • Do you stalk and is weight a major consideration?
  • Is length and width a concern?
  • How important is the optic to you?
  • Is US vs ROW manufacturing of interest?
Answer these and I'll bet you find the right xbow......

Dave at Wyvern can provide some guidance as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answers below in quote after each questions. Also added importance of a decent trigger. My Mission trigger is sufficient for sure. I've shot some friend's lower budget crossbows and don't know how they can squeeze off a consistent shot.

So many choices......

Here are some high level "things that might help in that process, which you may already know.

• How important for you is having a simple crossbow like a recurve? Not at all
  • Is a crank style cocking system necessary? Not necessary but I kinda like the idea...have never used one
  • Do you have a budget? Sub $1500....but believe in best value for the dollar
  • Do you have a minimum speed requirement? Not particularly....but wanting to increase my hunting range a bit over the 300fps of the Sniper Lite
  • Do you stalk and is weight a major consideration? Primarily hunt stands and ground blinds but appreciate moderate weight
  • Is length and width a concern? Again....moderation for blind and stand hunting. I see the pros and cons of super short limbs, etc.
  • How important is the optic to you? I appreciate a good optic...probably wouldn't be happy with most factory options.....also REALLY want a decent trigger
  • Is US vs ROW manufacturing of interest? Yes I appreciate US manufacturing but it's not a deal breaker. Customer service is a high priority for me.
Answer these and I'll bet you find the right xbow......

Dave at Wyvern can provide some guidance as well.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
You can also so some online research by looking at the list of top bows in your price range with the features you desire before buying.
Then there will be reviews available for most with videos that go into detail on the utube.
Also on different websites of merchants there will be reviews shown by those whom have purchased. You know the 5 star system.
Of this site has many options to learn more about each one you consider.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Answers below in quote after each questions. Also added importance of a decent trigger. My Mission trigger is sufficient for sure. I've shot some friend's lower budget crossbows and don't know how they can squeeze off a consistent shot.
There are several options that tick your needs. I'm a fan of technology and find the new TenPoint Viper being one of the best full featured xbow values available today. That is at the top end of your budget but it puts you in a package that needs nothing to use out of the box other than broadheads and a target.

• The ACUslide cocking-decockign system is state of the art and a game changer in convenience and safety.
  • Viper speeds with appropriately heavy hunting arrows will hit in 370/380 range which is a notable uplift from your current xbow
  • Length, width and loaded of the Viper is a very good. No, it's not on the "light" end of the spectrum but it's not nearly as heavy as it's older family members are and considering the design and features, it's weight is not a negative. IMO, a very nice fit for blind and tree stand hunting, which is how I hunt as well.
  • The RangeMaster Pro the Viper come with is a good optic and may fit your needs 100%. It's not as good as the Marksman scope TenPoint offers but it's optic clarity is good, the features it has are nice with illumination and speed compensation.
  • String serving wear which is a common maintenance issue for narrow xbows and the micro-rail improves that issue significantly giving you shot cycles in the 1000 range vs as low as hundreds for some of the xbow products that are very popular.
  • The S1 trigger is the closest to zero creep as TenPoint has ever offered. I measured it at 1/16" and 3.3 lbs.
  • TenPoint Customer Service is one of the best if not The Best.
The Viper is one to take a look at.

Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Northwoodsoutlet is also pretty good with good prices. Ravin also makes a really good crossbow so does excalibur and centerpoint. My wicked ridge(tenpoint) rdx 400 cracked a limb on first 3/4 cock, left a really bad taste in my mouth. They did fix the bow, took almost a month but they fixed it. A friend of mine has a ravin r26 and that xbow is awesome. Now I'm new to xbows so take what I say with a grain of salt.

My centerpoint sniper has taken everything my wife, daughter and I have thrown at it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can't go wrong with Wyvern. Although I did not purchase my TP from Wyvern, I trust my fellow CBN brethren when it comes to recommendations as such. As for the choice in XB, you have a bunch of options. My personal choice was Ten Point, but I also bought a Killer Instinct for my 72 year old father, to replace a defective Barnett he had. Barnett told him he was SOL and he now owned an "8 LB paper weight". Needless to say Barnett is no longer an option for anyone I know. For my $ I will stick with the TP and KI line of bows, but that's just my personal preference. Lots of folks here rely and swear by Ravin and Scorpyd as well. Frankly, too much speed kind of worries me, as I feel it's hit or miss as to whether the bow will hold up long term under so much repeated violent duress. Back in the day as a vertical archer, we were always longing for that magic 300 PFS mark. I figure with modern advancements 20 plus years later, 400 FPS should be about right on a XB. I don't need anything more than that out of a crossbow. Good luck in your choice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts