Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my diamond machine lathes or stones to sharpen my knifes. I do get lazy and use some of these V-shaped sharpeners you pull thru and shave the metal off. Seen after the result picture's and it looks ugly when magnified.

Broadheads-just better to buy and replace

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
I use the
Dexter-Russell 07946 12" Manual Tri-Stone Knife Sharpener System

Liquid Product Rectangle Fluid Font

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Wicked edge gets knives the sharpest I have ever seen. It is expensive and takes a lot of steps but the edge is literally shaving sharp! The work sharp does a good job quickly. I also use a benchmade stick 'v' sharpener which was quick for a daily touch up.

Right now it is whatever shapener I can find!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wicked edge gets knives the sharpest I have ever seen. It is expensive and takes a lot of steps but the edge is literally shaving sharp! The work sharp does a good job quickly. I also use a benchmade stick 'v' sharpener which was quick for a daily touch up.

Right now it is whatever shapener I can find!
Agree. It’s a lot of work to get a mirror edge that is better than shaving sharp. For broad heads, the are probably better options.

·
13,779 Posts
Whetstones ... newspaper and practice. I've used a lot of sharpeners over the years. Chef's Choice 1520 machines are pretty decent for common knives and blades that have been beaten to death. They'll put either a 15 degree Japanese bevel or a 20 degree European edge on your knives. Plus it has a stropping slot to finalize the edge. They'll make a knife sharper than 99% of the knives walking the earth...lol Chef’s Choice Model 1520 AngleSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharp - Chef's Choice by EdgeCraft (chefschoice.com) For my good knives it's manual work on the whetstones and a whetstone bridge I built to straddle my sink, so the water/slurry doesn't make a mess. I also have narrow "stick" sharpeners for sharpening the gut hook on my hunting knives or serrations on like a breadknife. I have a diamond needlepoint sharpener for serrations too. Retractable diamond sharpening rod – Truly Garden
My good Wusthof kitchen knives and table knives get stropped after every use. My hunting knife gets the same service. If it shows the slightest hint of dull, the whetstones come out.
Rectangle Gas Wood Hardwood Packing materials

Plant Flowerpot Rectangle Gadget Houseplant

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
I owned and operated surgical instrument repair service for thirty plus years in the medical industry. If you want a razor sharp knife buy a 1x30 inch belt sander. You can grind a nice beveled edge on a blade in less than 30 seconds. Put on a 1x30 leather belt, add white rouge with the belt moving then polish the bur off and in less than 20 seconds. Trust me you'll have a razor sharp knife. I can't tell you how many loading dock workers I sharpened knives for free. Pay it forward and those guys helped me out with electrical hook ups for my service van/contractors. Punt the old man's honing stone.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have had one of the Chef’s Choice sharpeners for better than ten years and it works surprisingly well on my blades. It quickly
and easily gets my blades shaving sharp.

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade

·
4,383 Posts
Work sharp for me too. I can put a better edge and maybe sharper with my stones. But the Work sharp is just so fast and easy and does such a good job. And i just don't use a knife blade that much. I start a hole for the gut hook use the gut hook to open him up. Use the saw blade to open the pelvis bone. Use the blade to cut the windpipe and diaphragm and help clean out the pelvis. And everything comes out at once. I'm done with the knife.

Broadheads just depends the FOC 99% of the time i can touch them up. The swat X mag its way less than 99% i can reuse the blades. I can't recall ever shooting a deer that at least one wasn't bent. But they cut a 3 3/4" 4 blade hole so :). I look the other way and replace the blades.

·
Registered
MK-XB58 Kraken / Hawke 3-9x50 parallax, mildot
3,667 Posts
my first ever stone

Liquid Rectangle Fluid Bottle Plastic bottle

i got this set for the angler, which is piece of shunk, poured all the oil into stone to get rid of it
in addition i have chamoise leather on a blank and fine grit sandpaper, my Mora Classic cuts paper and skin without tears

been lookin for 6000 stone, above stone is 1000/3000 if i recall right

first thing i did to that stone was got rid of the excess roughness, think i did it with the sandpaper

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Went to the work sharp followed by leather strop 4 or 5 years ago. I can get a sharper blade on whetstone but I can run the work sharp in 1/10 the time and it's still a very sharp edge after the strop.

·
13,779 Posts
my first ever stone

View attachment 229281

i got this set for the angler, which is piece of shunk, poured all the oil into stone to get rid of it
in addition i have chamoise leather on a blank and fine grit sandpaper, my Mora Classic cuts paper and skin without tears

been lookin for 6000 stone, above stone is 1000/3000 if i recall right

first thing i did to that stone was got rid of the excess roughness, think i did it with the sandpaper
KING ... makes a pretty good 6000 grit whetstone. No oil on it though, water only. You'll want a Nagura stone too to start a slurry and to clean the stone when you're done.
King Whetstones | Japanese Knives (hocho-knife.com)
Hood Motor vehicle Sink Wood Automotive exterior

·
3,595 Posts
I've owned/used Lansky, Gatco, Japanese wet stones, diamond stones, Arkansas stones and a bunch of others but the one that suits me best is the Spyderco Sharpmaker If you can hold a blade vertical you can sharpen knives, broadheads and even Olfa snap type blades. I normally leave my Sharpmaker set up so I can take a few swipes when I need to. Tri-Angle Sharpmaker® - Spyderco, Inc.

·
13,779 Posts
I've owned/used Lansky, Gatco, Japanese wet stones, diamond stones, Arkansas stones and a bunch of others but the one that suits me best is the Spyderco Sharpmaker If you can hold a blade vertical you can sharpen knives, broadheads and even Olfa snap type blades. I normally leave my Sharpmaker set up so I can take a few swipes when I need to. Tri-Angle Sharpmaker® - Spyderco, Inc.
Got one ... Nice and portable and can get knives razor sharp. I've found it best to keep the stones clean though. Metal buildup seems to effect performance.

Reactions: AJ01 and Boo

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have always preferred clamping systems like Edge pro, wicked edge or lansky with diamond hones. The clamp gives you the exact angle and hold it, while the diamond stones cut faster and don't dish out after use on hard blades. About the only edge I will use a wet stone for is something with a scandi grind. I did pick up one of the work sharp midget belt sanders for the kitchen knives. That works pretty good.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts