Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your hunting in an area that you have good deer sign or maybe just new but late pretty. Here is a method that has worked for me before. You never see it combined on Hunting TV shows. Maybe because they have already been place in a perfect spot. This is for us regular Joe’s. I use the horns to rattle, the Can for female breeding call and the grunt call. I like to rattle with the grunter in my mouth then I rattle and rake the tree and grunt at the same time. Then stop and use the Can call soft pleading for attention. Then wait 15 minutes and do it again. Make sure you put the horns and things in your hands down and get ready

·
Registered
473 Posts
Good pointers Eddie

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you have a good system. That fifteen minute pause is important.
Thanks! I have another item but lost the label of them. They are used for hanging over scrapes now is a great time to start one. It is a strip of yellow ( something) very absorbent and with impregnated deer sent of some kind. Most likely preorbital gland. Wish that I have s camera over it years ago. Lucky I had a zip tie on it. But sometimes a buck would bite the whole branch off tree. So I am not sure of the scent on it. You have to place them in a plastic ziplock bag. Or they will dry out. The directions state you can reconstitute them with water or mist likely a deer scent of some kind. But to just keep the same scent use just water.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the very first buck I killed with my bow. Used an artificial scent to stop deer to rake a sniff. He was following a doe the day before but I was to far away. But saw the oath along the side of a corn field. The next morning I got the way early took a piece of corn and put scent on it. Like clock work the doe was a few minutes ahead of the buck. She stopped and took a sniff and snuck into the woods. So now I knew I had be ready with arrow pulled back on the buck when he put his head down. Adrenaline was pumping. Buck fever was ready to over take me. I relax and saw this buck coming on the same path. I was only up on a tree limb about 9 feet. As soon as buck stopped I released the string. He shot like a bullet. This was the first time I ever used an expandable broadhead. It was black and called the Viper. It was mainly for turkey ‘s but I was going to give it a try. Not much of a blood trail and my bow was right at 50 lbs and not pushing to much KE. At the time had I had no ideal what KE was. So I just went to the last spot I same him go in woods and just started to make 25 yard arc circles in front. And found him. I was really excited! My father in law could hardly believe a city boy who taught him self everything finally killed a buck. Those are my Army old fatigues

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
I’m a little late but will add that you must check the wind direction and get set up where the buck will have a difficult time getting downwind if you.

Bill

Reactions: JOE PA and SEW

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
When your hunting in an area that you have good deer sign or maybe just new but late pretty. Here is a method that has worked for me before. You never see it combined on Hunting TV shows. Maybe because they have already been place in a perfect spot. This is for us regular Joe’s. I use the horns to rattle, the Can for female breeding call and the grunt call. I like to rattle with the grunter in my mouth then I rattle and rake the tree and grunt at the same time. Then stop and use the Can call soft pleading for attention. Then wait 15 minutes and do it again. Make sure you put the horns and things in your hands down and get ready
Glad to see your method!

I have used the exact method for years. I have taken some good bucks with it.
And if you put a buck decoy out you also improve your chances even more.
One thing as everyone knows there must be good deer around to make it work. This year they are lacking here.
And nothing works every time. That's hunting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts