Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I gut shot a deer and made the ultimate sin of pressuring him after only a couple hours of waiting. I should of known better, but I'm a victim of hindsight.

After I found the spot where he bedded down, I backed out knowing I pushed him.

I ended up going back 8 hours later and lost blood within 20 yards.

I had never worked with a blood tracking dog before, but figured it would be worth it to not lose a deer that suffered because of my mistake. Boy was I amazed when the dog got there. She was on the trail instantly and headed in a direction I never would have considered. It was 150 yards before any visible blood. She was on it. 675 yards later she found the deer that was surely lost forever in some of the most overgrown impassible Christmas trees on a neighboring property across the street. We would have found it in 15 minutes if I didn't have to track down property owners. The tracker was amazing. Stayed with me for 2 hours while I walked to neighboring houses to get permission.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Dog Vehicle Plant Tree Carnivore
Head Smile Deer Elk Organism
Dog Plant Carnivore Grass Tree
Glasses Smile Flash photography Vision care Thigh
Plant Hunting Deer hunting Plant community Smile
Trophy hunting Hunting Plant Deer hunting Hat
Dog Sky Smile Tree Tire
Plant Vertebrate Tree Wood Working animal
Deer Natural material Organism Horn Fawn
Vertebrate Mammal Organism Fawn Terrestrial animal

I discovered quite by accident when my wife’s little lap dog was just a pup that she loved to trail deer blood. In the 6 or 7 years since, she’s found many deer for me, my family and fellow club members. Teency is a bit of a celebrity in our little community because she’s found several deer for our pastor and he’s spoken about her deer trailing ability from the pulpit many times.
A good blood trailing dog is worth their weight in gold.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Deer tracking dogs are amazing. I have used them a couple of times. Dead deer and I would have never found them.

Seems like they are in demand around here. We tried to hire one last year and nobody was available.

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
I have twice been present when a Yellow Lab tracked a deer and a Golden Retriever tracked one also. Neither dog was trained to track and were both house dogs. Neither dog would get close to the deer though. Really surprised me but both did a good job.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Tracking dogs are becoming more prevalent here in Wisconsin. The people that I talk with that have used them, say the same thing, they are truly amazed. What really amazed me was that some of them said the dogs did not necessarily follow the blood/scent trail, but rather followed the scent of the deer . The person said the dog was taken to the last point of blood, then let loose to track. Instead of following the deer's path it took off cross country in the swamp, and went right to the where the deer was laying dead.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Here's my pup......

Plant Dog Organism Finger Nail

Plant Carnivore Grass Fawn Wood

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hopefully they will develop a network and easy way to find dog tracking services. Right now I am not aware of a central location to find a tracking dog if I needed the services of one.

chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts