Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Body core training for long distance shooting with the TenPoint Vapor RS470 and EVO-X CenterPunch Broadheads. This method has improved my long distance shooting drastically. I only shoot out to 50 yards off the ball but once control of your body core/balance is mastered it will take your (feet on the ground) off-hand shooting to the next level. It also increases the focus and concentration of the mental aspect of shooting. It will keep you in the shot much longer until you're able to bring all aspects of the pre shot in-line with with your breathing. There's no punching or jumping on the trigger as the crosshair floats across the target when you're on the ball, or you'll miss the target completely. Both knees on the ball was the toughest for me to master. Give it a try.

·
8,836 Posts
I like it! … It's a sad reality that all these forums will analyze, critique and advise you down to the gnat's arse on equipment, but how to USE that equipment, how to practice, train, and improve your shooting is almost completely non-existent; persona non grata. Bravo to Todd & Crossbow Magazine for giving it a go. Trust me, when I got back into bow hunting two decades ago, it was impossible to get any shooting advice on line. I had to buy a half dozen books to improve my shooting.

The overwhelming majority of the few hunters who actually DO practice just fling projectiles, either bullets or arrows, with little or no thought or purpose. I've always felt that you need to introduce as much pressure and stress into training as you realistically can. That takes some thinking and innovation. Stress not only makes you focus through distractions, it also trains your mental game to handle unexpected situations that so often can occur. It's very similar to the philosophy that school isn't there to teach you to memorize facts, it's there to train you to think and problem solve. Same thing with training under stress. It's not there to teach you how to shoot, it's there to teach you how to react to stressful situations instinctively and STILL shoot well. It's advanced shooting training after you have sound fundamentals and are technically proficient.

·
8,836 Posts
........ and it’s difficult at 78 😊
Amen … to that one. "Fitness" up until about 55 or so is a lot different than fitness post 60. Passed 60 it has a lot to do with weight control, nutrition, and adapting to "attrition."...lol :oops: 😂

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good post! I however, have given up on working out. Too many torn muscles, shredded ligaments, and broken bones from what life had thrown at me. I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispy's when I walk. "Snap, Crackle, and Pop"! I do a lot of arm exercises while spooning food in to my face though! I don't need Six pack ab's, because I have a whole case of ab's. :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, I was blessed to have been born some what athletic and very coordinated. That still holds true at 6' and 237 lbs. I'm like a big cat, and my only balance issues are with my check book. :p To each they're own I say! I really don't have the time to spend on working out, nor do I choose to want to be in a gym during the "Rona" pandemic.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Excellent post.

I'm back at the gym now 5 days a week and feeling much better!!

Fitness is priceless!!
Smart! That's my lifestyle for last three years. Now I gotta start shooting off of one knee when I stalk goats to speed the shot process.

Todd, impressed per your discipline. Well done sir!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I always found that getting fit or losing weight, for that matter, is the easy part. It's maintaining that level of fitness that I used to achieve. Everytime I start thinking about starting to work out again this self-defeating thought creeps right back into my head. It's a life style of sorts, it's something you have to incorporate into your daily schedule until it becomes part of you. It can be done..

·
2,767 Posts
I will have to try some of that. Thing is, I don’t have property big enough to shoot on. Not sure I’m taking a ball like that to the club range. Otherwise, I have finally finished the kitchen painting project. Getting back to working out after a 3 week layoff. With two joint replacements so far, and obvious arthritis in two others, I find the best thing for me is to push myself as much as my body will allow. Taking it easy just doesn’t seem to make things any better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If I had to do that to shoot accurate... I would let the lil woman bring home the harvest... I put my boots on everyday and work... I shower after work not before I go...

Not happening up here any day soon... I shoot just fine... It all started when I was 5 yrs old...

Aim Small Miss Small.

·
8,836 Posts
Yeah … you ain't shooten off that ball in the backyard of the suburbs...lol You need 3 or 400 yards of backdrop in case the bow goes off as you're rolling off the sides or backwards ...lol 😂

·
8,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Rumor is that Todd has been spotted doing his crossbow yoga workout routine in this.........

·
8,836 Posts
Rumor is that Todd has been spotted doing his crossbow yoga workout routine in this.........
Trolling … for dates ahey?... :p 😂

1 - 20 of 27 Posts