Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a Wildgame Innovations XB 380 crossbow at the work Christmas party. The packaging says barnettbows.com. Put it together and shot it Thursday. After retrieving the arrow, I noticed the fletchings were damaged. Pic attached. Not sure if that was caused by the pass through on the target, or cheap factory fletchings. I've been shooting a compound since 2016, but this is my first crossbow.
Green Leaf Floor Plant Plant stem

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
The problem of the warped vanes is common when they either end up in the target or a pass through. Some vanes can get ripped or ripped off, either on a pass through or when trying to remove the arrow where the vanes are in the target.

Some feedback mentions putting the vane end in hot water while others mention warming the vanes with a hair dryer to help straighten the vane out.

A crossbow requires a lot tougher target than a vertical compound bow.

All the best.

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
A hair dryer can work too. And yes, theyre probably some cheaper arrows too coming in a package deal. Before getting some "good arrows" be sure to have a good target to keep this from happening again. You can even make one by stuffing a dogfood sack as tight as you can with old rags, then tying the top closed.

·
Registered
16,627 Posts
Those vanes look trashed to me and I have straightened a lot over the years. If your rail is deep enough you might want to get some arrows shooting 2" Blazer vanes as they take pass throughs pretty good usually. I would definitely either buy or make a rag bag target. The Morrell targets at Walmart work pretty good if you take proper care of them and are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those vanes look trashed to me and I have straightened a lot over the years. If your rail is deep enough you might want to get some arrows shooting 2" Blazer vanes as they take pass throughs pretty good usually. I would definitely either buy or make a rag bag target. The Morrell targets at Walmart work pretty good if you take proper care of them and are fairly cheap.
You should see the fletchings now. I made 2 targets out of cardboard boxes after watching YouTube videos on homemade targets. They stopped the bolts, but barely. And when you hit the same hole twice, they just sail right through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.