Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I am new here and have a question. I recently purchased a new R29x and love it. 90 Percent of the time my daughter and myself will use it for whitetail hunting here in MN.

I am in the process of planning a south africa archery hunt near the Limpopo District during the summer 2022. I have my sights on using my R29X for a Cape Buffalo hunt and I am wondering and looking for advice of what weight and broad head to use with my R29X. I have hear that a heavy bolt 800 grams or more is needs and a two blade fixed is the best. I would sure he helpful to be in contact with someone who has experience with big game using a ravin.

Anyone on here have experience on what type to buy and where to upgrade my bolts to shoot this sized big game animal. I also know that not using a ravin bolt can void my warranty which I don't care about in this situation.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Make sure its a 2 blade

·
Registered
142 Posts
Greetings. I am new here and have a question. I recently purchased a new R29x and love it. 90 Percent of the time my daughter and myself will use it for whitetail hunting here in MN.

I am in the process of planning a south africa archery hunt near the Limpopo District during the summer 2022. I have my sights on using my R29X for a Cape Buffalo hunt and I am wondering and looking for advice of what weight and broad head to use with my R29X. I have hear that a heavy bolt 800 grams or more is needs and a two blade fixed is the best. I would sure he helpful to be in contact with someone who has experience with big game using a ravin.

Anyone on here have experience on what type to buy and where to upgrade my bolts to shoot this sized big game animal. I also know that not using a ravin bolt can void my warranty which I don't care about in this situation.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you
First you should contact your guide and ask what weight he suggests for the arrow

South Shore can build them to any weight up to around a 1000 grains

We have a ton of experience in making big game arrows

Last time I checked 3 of the top 5 cape taken with a crossbow were with spynal tapp arrows

Reactions: leroy.brotzman

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Consult your Safari agent. He will tell you the requirements. Don't take any chances on not having what they want. That's from Broadheads to weight of Arrows.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Archer 36,do you not have some heavy arrows for sale that were meant for Africa hunt?
Yes. As I matter of fact I just refreshed the post. It's in the Market Place/Classifieds.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just ran across a thread yesterday discussing these: https://truebluebroadheads.com/broadheads

Might be worth looking into, probably not needed if you get the perfect custom arrows. But you could put your 2 blade fixed on that, get an extra 100gr, 2" cutting, and shift your foc.
My Safari Outfitter "recommends" fixed heads. I would imagine on Dangerous Game, it would be a requirement. I think the extra blades will effect penetration. It depends on the setup of course. With some setups shooting way over 150 lbs of KE, it may not effect penetration too much. Adding the extra 100 gr is a good thing. A stout 2 blade head with the two additional blades will be devastating.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Would they be heavy enough for his buffalo? Looks like a really good deal.
As I said, ask the Outfitter. I am hunting Plains Game. The largest being an Eland which could reach 1,200 lbs. If you are hunting Plains Game in addition to Buffalo, then yes, they definitely would be.
My two setups shoot 130 and 150 KE at 30 yds. The arrows I'm shooting are 450 and 500 grains complete. TP Carbon Nitro and TP Stealth NXT.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This may be of interest. He was using Compound Bow arrows but you get the idea behind it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts