Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I’m new to the world of crossbows. I’m currently training for my hunters license test and target practicing. I bought an Excalibur Matrix 355 from a friend of mine. I’ve taken a handful of shots with the couple of bolts that came with the bow.

I bought new bolts with field points and they are getting lodged deep into the Yellow Jacket target that I’m using. 4 of the 6 bolts lost the entire front end when I was pulling them out of the target.

Why is this happening?
FAB7B221-D89D-4C75-9114-72BEC46BC743.png
2915AE54-FB1F-4A2C-AE46-5B602074A2D5.jpeg
73FD52D3-8B9B-4D69-B4A1-49E36E31B7A6.jpeg
D5BF616C-675A-4324-A72C-4D98749984B8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Wow, they do not look as though they are buried very deep into the target bag so it may be an arrow issue.
Did you make sure the field points were threaded on tightly each time before shooting?
Is the whole insert coming out or just the field point?
The inserts may not have been glued in properly, I am guessing.
Also, check the arrows for splinters by bending them before each shot.
Welcome, BTW.
I'm sure many others with much more experience than me will chime in soon enough.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, they do not look as though they are buried very deep into the target bag so it may be an arrow issue.
Did you make sure the field points were threaded on tightly each time before shooting?
Welcome, BTW.
I'm sure many others with much more experience than me will chime in soon enough.
Good luck!
Welcome, BTW.
Good luck!
The field points were tightened before I sent them. The entire insert is being pulled out. It’s also extremely difficult pulling out the bolts. I’m athletic and it was laborious.

·
11,287 Posts
Got to be frustrating!!!! I don’t know what kind of arrows they are but I don’t like the looks of that plastic looking ring behind the points. That’s sure to cause problems with pulling arrows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like they go over the shaft and not in them. And not glued very well either. I would go get some different arrows with regular inserts in them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have recommendations on good bolts I can can pickup quickly? I see bolts on Amazon and EBay. Does anyone have experience with these? My field day for licensing is next weekend and I have to practice.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yup, it happens. Welcome to the world of crossbows.
Bag targets are usually more forgiving.
You'll have to start stocking up on things like inserts, glue, fletching materials.

·
11,287 Posts
I contend you won’t have that problem with appropriate arrows. Don’t buy ANY arrows that look like those you have. Call Wyvern Creations or Southshore Archery.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just looking at your pictures again and looks like you have some kinda crap arrows, no offense intended. The Matrix 355 is a good powerful bow.
I've previously owned one and liked it very much. You got a good bow, get the best arrows you can afford.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Very simple. Not glued properly. I have had this happen with a lot of different arrows but it wasn't a bag target, it was a layered target. Any arrow with any amount of glue should come out of the bag target without losing the insert. Try contacting the retailer you bought them from and see what they say. Just because the inserts came out doesn't mean the arrow is not good. A few drops of glue would remedy that.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Very simple. Not glued properly. I have had this happen with a lot of different arrows but it wasn't a bag target, it was a layered target. Any arrow with any amount of glue should come out of the bag target without losing the insert. Try contacting the retailer you bought them from and see what they say. Just because the inserts came out doesn't mean the arrow is not good. A few drops of glue would remedy that.
If you look at them closely, it appears the field points are attached by a sleeve that fits over the arrow shaft.
I am a noob but that is nothing like any of the arrows I have seen to date, i.e. all of ours have inserts, not "outserts", so to speak.
I think he got them from a friend so by all means, find out where they are from and ship them back, IMO...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had the same problem with Bear Arrows that came with a bow years ago. Bear was kind enough to send me more arrows for free. After those inserts came out they sent me outserts to glue in instead. You can only complain so much. The glued in outserts worked fine.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Go on Amazon and get the Blood Sport Hunter arrows. 6 for $30 shipped and they shoot really good.

But you really need 18" arrows for your Matrix so you might want to call Tapp Nation and get some from them in the proper length unless you have a shop around that will cut them down for you.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Brian....those arrows should work for you.....if they dont ,message me and I will set you up with some Black Eagles that will shoot awesome from your bow...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts