Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22" Headhunter bolts weigh 314 grs. Add a 100 grain broadhead and you got.....uh....hum....hold on while I switch over to my calculator. Ok!! You have 414. It seems to me, of course, what do I know. But it seems that's awfully light for a Raptor Pro STR. I mean, that's only....oh boy....34 grs. heavier than they used to get their "advertised" speed of 400 fps. And EVERYONE says the 380 grs. was WAY too light. In fact, borderline dry-fire!! Would I be better off moving up to a 125 gr. broadhead? Would that be easier on my Xbow? What do you think the estimated loss of speed would be? And another thing. What is EXACTLY on the other side of the globe from Missouri?

· Registered
8,224 Posts
22" Headhunter bolts weigh 314 grs. Add a 100 grain broadhead and you got.....uh....hum....hold on while I switch over to my calculator. Ok!! You have 414. It seems to me, of course, what do I know. But it seems that's awfully light for a Raptor Pro STR. I mean, that's only....oh boy....34 grs. heavier than they used to get their "advertised" speed of 400 fps. And EVERYONE says the 380 grs. was WAY too light. In fact, borderline dry-fire!! Would I be better off moving up to a 125 gr. broadhead? Would that be easier on my Xbow? What do you think the estimated loss of speed would be? And another thing. What is EXACTLY on the other side of the globe from Missouri?
Anything over 400 gn is fine. 414 to 425 for that xbow is great. 34 gns heavier is shooting around 15 fps slower but probably more accurately.....port aux Francis is the antipode of Kansas city

· Registered
8,202 Posts
Providing the crossbow is properly tuned, for every ten grain over what the manufacture supposedly used to get their advertised speed, there is a loss of approximately 3 feet per second.

You mention using 414 which includes the 100 grain point. That arrow is 34 grains over divide by 10 = 3.4 x 3 = 10.2 feet per second loss. Therefore the crossbow should shoot that arrow at 400 - 10.2 = 389.8 feet per second.

Using the 125 grain point which brings the arrow-point combination to 439 grain. The arrow-point combination is now 59 grain over divide by 10 = 5.9 x 3 = 17.7 feet per second loss. The crossbow should shoot approximately 382.3 feet per second.

All the best.

· Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,902 Posts
If you haven't already bought broadheads then if it were me I'd go with the 125 g heads. It might just give a bit less stress on the limbs and riser. Cant hurt anyway. Don't get hung up on speeds. Not that much difference by adding then little bit of weight difference. IMO you cannot see a 7 fps change and the deer wont be able to tell it either. BTW, welcome to the boards. :)

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Providing the crossbow is properly tuned, for every ten grain over what the manufacture supposedly used to get their advertised speed, there is a loss of approximately 3 feet per second.

You mention using 414 which includes the 100 grain point. That arrow is 34 grains over divide by 10 = 3.4 x 3 = 10.2 feet per second loss. Therefore the crossbow should shoot that arrow at 400 - 10.2 = 389.8 feet per second.

Using the 125 grain point which brings the arrow-point combination to 439 grain. The arrow-point combination is now 59 grain over divide by 10 = 5.9 x 3 = 17.7 feet per second loss. The crossbow should shoot approximately 382.3 feet per second.

All the best.
Thanks.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you haven't already bought broadheads then if it were me I'd go with the 125 g heads. It might just give a bit less stress on the limbs and riser. Cant hurt anyway. Don't get hung up on speeds. Not that much difference by adding then little bit of weight difference. IMO you cannot see a 7 fps change and the deer wont be able to tell it either. BTW, welcome to the boards. :)
Thanks!

· Registered
3,048 Posts
JMO but 400 anything is a ridiculously light arrow. I sit around each year, watching thread after thread of "my bow limbs broke" threads and see a common denominator.... Light arrows.
I dont know as I have ever seen a post by someone like myself (using heavy arrows) speaking about blown limbs. I get a chuckle each time I see a thread like this because it is always speaking to jumping 25 grains head weight, as if that means anything....When viewed against the initial starting point for arrow weight.

These light arrows (400- grains) are light for one reason and that reason is marketing. Manufacturers bet on a few facts that allow them to get away with this. They bet that their bows are not going to be shot a lot and they are right. The majority of crossbow shooters run maybe 50 arrows a year through their bows, if that. More likely its a dozen or less.
The majority of crossbow shooters are not represented by anyone on this site.

The manufactures also bet that speed will sell the bow. They are less correct there, by what I have seen. I have run a few polls and the average speeds for average people is 350fps with the small percentage of votes going above 400fps.
That said.... If the bows were advertised with speeds that were derived with proper arrows, then that probably would have people looking at more powerful bows. So again... Its done to lure in the consumer, with a strong belief (correctly) that failure will never be seen by the vast majority of the buyers, due to lack of shooting.

For my own bows, I have found that a 50% increase above the standard arrow weight is where things start getting good on every level. I have a 400fps (rated) bow that shoots 330 with a 625 grain arrow and a 380fps (rated) bow that shoots a 600 grain arrow at the same 330fps.
Both bows sound better and feel better on the shot. Both bows are more accurate with the heavier arrows, as compared to the lighter arrows and everything holds up with less wear and maintenance requirements. Strings show less wear as well. Deer are just as dead at 330fps as they were at 400fps.

Having spent the majority of my life hunting with a recurve and longbow, I already have my hunting abilities down and dont need to use a crossbow as if it were a long range weapon. When I use it like a bow, it could be shooting 150fps and I would do just fine. What I dont want are bow problems and tooth loosening vibrations on the shot.
Go heavy. Thats my suggestion.

· Registered
8,224 Posts
I have some carbon express juggernauts that weighed 520gn. With a 100 gn head. Vanes were really large so changed them to blazer vanes. Now weigh 490 gn. They shoot accurately but noticeably slower in my ts 370. They are the heaviest I found .
Lever must build his.

· Registered
8,250 Posts
Anything over 400 gn is fine. 414 to 425 for that xbow is great. 34 gns heavier is shooting around 15 fps slower but probably more accurately.....port aux Francis is the antipode of Kansas city
I put down a speed goat with a 400grain Zombie slayer at 52 yards and the goat did not go 30 plus yards and that was a Xbow that shot 366-367fps.

· Registered
8,250 Posts
Yes, they will put night vision scopes/sights on our Xbows. We sight in at 20 yards. Pig feeders 25 yards from sit in stands. I'm ready for something easier and more comfortable. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.