Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the sport, I need some help in sellecting some good hunting bolts and broadheads. Right now I have the bolts that came with my setup from Ten Point. The bolts are aluminum with practise tips.

Are the carbon bolts better then the aluminum? Does it really matter? Lots of questions. Thanks. :hat:

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Well Howdy there! Welcome to the site! First thing since your new is to tell you those aren't bolts. Those are arrows. If you look back in the previous postings, there is much discussion about different arrows and broadheads. Everyone has their own opinions as to which is best. So, just get out there and start experimenting with what you have already and when you get the chance, try new things. If your planning on hunting this season, I recommend you get your set up working for you right now and not change anything until your season is over. Just whatever you use, practice, practice, and practice some more.
( I love aluminums. Shhh!)
PS. That sure looks like a Texan Sombrero. I like it! I have one just like it and another bigger brim for July and August work outdoors. No need for mowing this year though. Drought.

·
329 Posts
rafsob,

WELCOME to XBs & CBN.

are you already getting "fired up" over URBAN DEER SEASON??? (i AM!)

IF you need broadheads, i have LOTS & can loan you a few, till you find what you really want. fyi, my apartment is in the Dumfries, VA area.

again, WELCOME!!!

yours, tn46

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I prefer aluminum arrows myself. I don't think the material matters as much as the weight does.
I prefer mechanical broad heads. I was dead set on the Rage broad heads. I talked myself out of them and will be trying 100gr NAP Spitfires instead. I shot some WASP jack hammers over the weekend. I like them a lot! WASP was one of my main broad heads in the vertical days. I also shot an older model of Crimson Talon that the neighbor boy was using. Sweet broad head that flew just like my field points. They were the O ring style however and I thought the blades were a tad thin. I would certainly try the newer Crimson Talons if I didn't have my mind made up on NAP.
WASP or the CT's are definitely in the running for plan B.

·
1,379 Posts
buckeye dan,

tell us about your shooting results with the wasp jak hammers and others. Grouping, impact vs. field points, etc.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
The WASP Jackhammer SST shot a little low. It looked rugged enough but also uses the O ring to hold the blades. The Crimson Talon was hitting the same holes as my field points. Again those use the O ring style blade locking. I am trying to avoid O rings altogether.
Not much more to it than that. If you want to unscrew the field point from your arrow and switch to mechanical broad head you could easily use either of those with minimal sight adjustment. I am counting on that with the NAP Spitfires when I get them. And no O ring. The rubber rings concern me in cold weather. And who wants to fiddle with a pack of O rings on the hunt. If you dropped one it would pretty much be lost forever and render your arrow useless until you replaced it. And they could tear or break.

The rage broad heads do not use a rubber O ring to keep the blades locked but they do use one behind the blades as a shock absorber for when the blades are fully deployed. That is what turned me off to them as well as thin delicate looking blades.

Groupings were as consistent as with field points. In fact the Crimson Talon not only shot where my field points did but they might have been tighter groupings. All of them shot 3 inch groups at 30 yards.

The one strange thing I noticed on the WASP is a couple of my arrows did not hit the target straight on. They were at a slight angle. I can only guess as to why this was. I expect when the arrow hit the target one blade got a bigger bite of the target as the O ring slid back and it caused the arrow to tilt slightly on entry. It only happened a couple of times however.

I should have a report on the NAP's this weekend. These will be the ones I actually fine tune with for the best results and opinion.

·
11,404 Posts
All 3 of these

will hit in the same hole as a field point of the same weight with a Blazer vane so I know a 4" vane would do equally well. I like cutting points.

These are (Left to right) Eastman Titanium Tri Loc 3 blade (fixed), NAP Scorpion and NAP Spitfire XL, all 100 grains.

Attachments

·
219 Posts
Broadheads

Since I began using crossbows, I have tried many broadheads and also diferant crossbows from the Ten-Point Elite QXL (Lost that one in a house fire) OUCH! Beautiful bow (Thumbs up to TP on that bow, I miss it and I killed my largest buck to date with it) to Parkers, Hortons and Excals. Anyways, even though I tried a variety of bows and broadheads, I finally came down to my final decision. I use aluminum arrows for my own reasons. Both carbon and aluminum shoot the same in my current set-ups. As for broadheads, being a writer, I have tested "MANY" types and fired over 1000 documented test shots over a couple years. My favorite and best performing broadhead has been the NAP 100 splitfires in every bow. They completely amaze me to this day. from 15 yards to 40 yards. As for how they perform in the woods, my decision is somewhat biased. I have only used the NAPS for hunting. In the last four years, I have taken 4 deer. Two huge bucks and two does. Not a one went further than 55 yards. (Overlook my spelling, I typed this too fast...LOL)

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses and all the good info. I went to Bass Pro Shop yesterday and was a little surprised at the limited selection. I ended up selecting the Muzzy three blade in 125gr weight. I think I was sold on the practice blades. We will see how I like them.

Hey Guide Girl, that is just one of my cowboy hats. I shoot Cowboy Action Shooting, CAS. Don't shoot it as much as I used to, but still love the sport and people!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts