Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11,546 Posts
Yes

Even using the holo red dot sight, there is not enough vertical adjustment range on it to adjust it so I can aim directly at the fish unless its really close to the surface where refraction is not a problem.

I use a solid glass fishing arrow that has been shortened to 22".

·
38 Posts
Not trying to stir up any arguments, but is there any safety concerns with the line getting fouled on the stirrup with that rig or does the arrow extend past the stirup when you shoot?

·
11,546 Posts
The arrow head is out in front of the foot

stirrup and the line is attached to a sliding "washer" that slides to the rear of the shaft when it is shot out of the bow. Here is a photo of my setup:

Attachments

·
11,546 Posts
It's an AMS standard fishing reel

The trick was to install it on the Ten Point Slider using only the factory drilled holes. I accomplished that by fabricating a small aluminum channel bracket.

You can now get an AMS reel on the new 08 GT Flex by Ten Point from what I've heard.

Please ignore the foot in the lower left of the photo:D

Attachments

·
211 Posts
I've bowfished all my life and recently gave some serious thought to setting up a fishing crossbow but finally decided against it...

I realize some people arent able to but I can still shoot a vertical bow fairly well and bowfishing is one of the few times I get to do some instinctive "bow" shooting anymore

after some thinking about it I think crossbow fishing would actually be more of a hassle than it would be worth, I have three vertical bowfishing setups still so I'm sticking to my vertcal bows

·
11,546 Posts
I would do the same but ole Arth

itis put an end to my vertical bow shooting. Now it's either crossbow or no bow and I'm certainly not going for no bow.

I still have one of the old green Bear spool reels that screwed into the stabilizer holes. Brings back good memories:)

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
You Bet we bow fish! We have a rig we're working on, and it is looking great. We've test shot it a few times but waiting for a cocking device. What we did, is attached the xbow to a post wit a swivel apparatus, so a shooter can sit and shoot and we added stoppers so the bow cannot be turned into the boat area. This specific design is for several purposes. One, we guide people in wheel chairs and elderly for hunting, and this would allow them to be able and bow fish with us. Next, is safety. The big excuse for not allowing xbows on certain water bodies and in Bow fishing associations is safety, so with this new mounted design, it should allow the powers that be (here is Texas Parks & Wildlife) and those who run bow fishing tournaments to watch and learn.
We did remove the foot stirrup from our design because we wanted to insure the string not getting tangled and the arrow snapping back. We are also looking at incorporating plexiglass between the shooter and the bow for more security.
Personally, I want to use it only while fishing for alligator gar. I want this to do well just for the law & rule makers to be accepting of a safe xbow rig. I want xbows allowed everywhere a vertical bow is allowed. We also removed the sights from the bow as they really aren't necessary. Instinctive shooting is best and quick when bow fishing.
We just fished the Sportsmans Warehouse tourney this past weekend and we won the BIG 5. (Again) I can see where other shooters will panic if we would get xbows allowed during the tourneys. They already panic when our boat pulls into the ramp. So far, we've won the BIG 5 every tourney we've fished in this season, our first season, and once, when we let the kids go instead of the BIG dogs, they placed 3rd in numbers. ( I was turkey & hog hunting)
I like the money! Show me the money! I'll share pictures when we're ready with the designs.

·
211 Posts
the suckers should be running here within the next couple weeks, hopfully the rain will let up enough this spring to let the river drop so we can get into it and shoot some before the run is over

I've been getting the gear ready, no crossbows fishing for me, I've thought about trying it but decided against it, I can still shoot my fishing bows just fine and prefer the verticle bow for fishing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts