Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had little debate with a good friend of mine. He keeps his excals with the strings barely off the bumpers. I keep my only Excal, a Micro 335, at least 1/4" off the reds per manufacturer recommendation. He maintains there is not a single bow manufacturer in the world where that recommends the string be kept so far away from the string suppressor other than Excalibur.
So... Who's right? Does his argument hold any water?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What oil is best? What size tires can I run without a lift? Oh wait, wrong forum. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That seems to be quite the subject of debate, even amongst the experts on here. I ultimately elected to follow Boo's recommendation and run mine at ~1/4" off the bumpers.

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
I first set mine up at 1/4" and just leave it alone as long as the string doesn't touch the bumpers at rest. When it does then I'll add a few twists. I don't think it's that big a deal. It doesn't change POI when I change the brace height.

Reactions: doegirl

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
It depends on the bow. I have always kept my Excaliburs at 1/4" off the bumpers. Much closer and you will be buying new bumpers a lot if you shoot much. On my Scorpyd and my Ravin I have the string touching the bumpers.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I will agree with the majority of archery manufacturers who put them on the bows and the manufacturers who make the string stops, such as Simms and the like. This was a hot topic 20+ years ago, when these things came to market and everyone had an opinion. It was when the manufacturers of the string stops stepped up and spoke to the issue, that the voiced opinions stopped.
In fact, there is nobody out there who recommends anything other than light contact setting. Excal stands alone.
According to the manufacturer, the product is worthless when used this way.
If the string does not stop in contact, it cannot remove the reverb. If the string does not touch then the reverb will happen as if the bumper wasn't there at all.
So...
Why does Excal suggest this? Could be because it's actually a bad idea to have them in the first place. The string isnt served past the bumpers (big no no) and when used as they should be used, they get torn up. Excal no doubt saw this and this is why they suggest what they do. Looks over function. Addressing nimrods wants without having to deal with the known downsides is my opinion, as to why they say 1/4".

Feel free to refer to my signature below.

Reactions: retro and doegirl

·
Banned
178 Posts
I will agree with the majority of archery manufacturers who put them on the bows and the manufacturers who make the string stops, such as Simms and the like. This was a hot topic 20+ years ago, when these things came to market and everyone had an opinion. It was when the manufacturers of the string stops stepped up and spoke to the issue, that the voiced opinions stopped.
In fact, there is nobody out there who recommends anything other than light contact setting. Excal stands alone.
If the string does not stop in contact, it cannot remove the reverb. If the string does not touch then the reverb will happen as if the bumper wasn't there at all.
So...
Why does Excal suggest this? Could be because it's actually a bad idea to have them in the first place. The string isnt served past the bumpers (big no no) and when used as they should be used, they get torn up. Excal no doubt saw this and this is why they suggest what they do. Looks over function. Addressing nimrods wants without having to deal with the known downsides is my opinion, as to why they say 1/4".

+1

·
Registered
325 Posts
The book that came with my 340mag says if you have the REDS system it should be anywhere between 1/8 and 1/2 inch away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So...

Are you saying that at 1/4" off the bumpers, the string won't hit the bumpers when the bow is shot? If so, I disagree. Mine is currently set at 1/4" and there are marks where the string is hitting the bumpers.

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
They hit the bumpers but if set at 1/4" not near as hard as if set closer. I started off at 1/8" on an old Excal Vortex and went through a set of bumpers in a few months. Set the next set at 1/4" and I still have those bumpers on years later.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Are you saying that at 1/4" off the bumpers, the string won't hit the bumpers when the bow is shot? If so, I disagree. Mine is currently set at 1/4" and there are marks where the string is hitting the bumpers.
not saying that at all. I am saying the people who make them (all of them) say the string is to touch the bumpers. and they will have zero positive effect (as to intended design) if the string is not contacting the bumper at full rest. I am not saying that. manufacturers are saying that. I have tried both ways and the manufacturer (go figure) was correct. no difference when string comes to rest, short of contact.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
They hit the bumpers but if set at 1/4" not near as hard as if set closer. I started off at 1/8" on an old Excal Vortex and went through a set of bumpers in a few months. Set the next set at 1/4" and I still have those bumpers on years later.
you saw less than normal wear at 1/8. bumpers are replaceable for a reason. they sell just the bumpers for a reason.
I had a toaster that burnt out in a few years. next toaster, I didn't use it and it's still like new. go figure. lol

·
Happy Member
5,433 Posts
The bumpers DO stop string oscillation and that’s all! It does absolutely nothing for sound. They will never stop a string regardless of how far away they are from the string. Watch the string in slow motion with and without string stops and then tell me they don’t work! You won’t because they absolutely stop string oscillation! String oscillation is what causes excessive vibration and noise.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The bumpers DO stop string oscillation and that’s all! It does absolutely nothing for sound. They will never stop a string regardless of how far away they are from the string. Watch the string in slow motion with and without string stops and then tell me they don’t work! You won’t because they absolutely stop string oscillation! String oscillation is what causes excessive vibration and noise.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
If you are not dead ending it. You are only lessening it.
You can post all the dumb video's out there...Done by all the dummies, in counter point.
The facts are that the people who actually developed/marketed these stops say there is one way to use them as designed for the intended results and they also say that intended results will not happen unless specs are followed.
The crossbow guys/gals are 20 years late to the game and (most) know nothing of archery or archery products.
This is how you get dumb videos and dumb people, trying to reinvent the wheel.
Not saying these videos are dumb. These show the correct position but someone is going to post some counter video...I just know it.
Notice how the excal video shows JUST what the makers tell you to do ;)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I noticed right off the bat that the Excal has large non stock after market bumpers installed.
Some of their bows, you can adjust to. Others you cannot.
Like most of these manufacturers....They dont know much, other than bolting parts together.
Doesn't mean they are a bad bow...Not at all.
Just means... Looks like someone who doesn't know archery all too well.
All of these things have already been done and the faults which have been eliminated in the industry are just a constant in the crossbow realm. As if a crossbow somehow is different.
It isn't.
In the case of Excalibur...
Between the feather light arrows, the damper systems, the new micro series.... Just not at all what anyone in the actual archery industry would do.

Eventually (maybe) the crossbow manufacturers will actually hire archery techs and then we will be in for a real treat :)
Looking forward to that day.

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Registered
62 Posts
not saying that at all. I am saying the people who make them (all of them) say the string is to touch the bumpers. and they will have zero positive effect (as to intended design) if the string is not contacting the bumper at full rest. I am not saying that. manufacturers are saying that. I have tried both ways and the manufacturer (go figure) was correct. no difference when string comes to rest, short of contact.
I'm sorry, I'm confused by all the pronouns so I'm not sure who "they" is and what "them" is. Not being a jerk, I just don't understand what you're saying.

If I am reading you correctly, you're saying:

"I am saying that the people who make the bumpers (all of the bumpers) say the string is to touch the bumpers. And the bumpers will have zero positive effect (as to intended design) if the string is not contacting the bumper at full rest. I am not saying that. The bumper manufacturers are saying that. I have tried both ways and the bumper manufacturer (go figure) was correct. No difference when the string comes to rest, short of contact."

Is that correct?

If so, why would Excalibur recommend a brace height with the string between 1/8" and 1/2" off the bumpers? And, I'm a n00b, what is the purpose of the bumpers? I know on my vertical bow (Hoyt) the bumper does help with sound dampening and the proper setting is to adjust the bumper to just a hair off the string.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm confused by all the pronouns so I'm not sure who "they" is and what "them" is. Not being a jerk, I just don't understand what you're saying.

If I am reading you correctly, you're saying:

"I am saying that the people who make the bumpers (all of the bumpers) say the string is to touch the bumpers. And the bumpers will have zero positive effect (as to intended design) if the string is not contacting the bumper at full rest. I am not saying that. The bumper manufacturers are saying that. I have tried both ways and the bumper manufacturer (go figure) was correct. No difference when the string comes to rest, short of contact."

Is that correct?

If so, why would Excalibur recommend a brace height with the string between 1/8" and 1/2" off the bumpers? And, I'm a n00b, what is the purpose of the bumpers? I know on my vertical bow (Hoyt) the bumper does help with sound dampening and the proper setting is to adjust the bumper to just a hair off the string.

Thanks!
correct.
as I suggested earlier...
excal may be saying what they are saying, due to the fact that customers will be wearing out bumpers when used correctly.
since no manufacturer (other than excal) suggests using their bumpers in such a way, this is my best guess as to why.

A recurve will burn through bumpers, compared to compounds, due to the recurves excessive weight over a compounds weight. 2x the weight equals 2byx the wear.

excal no doubt had these bumpers due to customers wanting it. doesn't mean customers know how to use it. excal skates around the issues by telling people to set brace to avoid contact thereby giving people what they asked for while avoiding the customer complaints.

as you can see....
most excal owners have no clue that there is anything odd here, so win win for excal.

Reactions: retro and YetiX

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would think Excalibur would want us to "consume" the bumpers so they could sell replacement parts. I may borrow a friends decibel meter and try shooting my bow with the string where it currently is (1/4") and then with the string just off the bumpers. If it's quieter, I'm happy to replace them every so often.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts