Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a tear in the ligament in my rotator cuff and need to start into the CB world. Have always liked the simplicity of the EXcals

What model is good for a beginner, will definitely need a crank due to the tear mentioned, plan on hunting a little bit of everything with it but mainly deer and turkeys

Dependability and reliability are more important than speed or power , any suggestions on what to stay away from and which direction would be viable

Also any other pointers have heard limbs strings etc and like mentioned want the most reliable option can get

Thanks in advance

Registered
Excalibur Mag 340, Oracle X, Boo string
I recently switched to Excal and will not look back. My only experience is with the Mag 340, but I am quite pleased with it. It is reasonably priced, extremely accurate, and simple to maintain and operate. I added an Oracle x scope which I already had, a Flemish string, an EXT crank device, and also replaced the stock trigger with a new Ceasefire trigger. I don't mean to imply that it won't work perfectly as packaged from one of the distributors. It certainly will. The trigger might need some attention cuz mine was rough on strings.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of my backup wheel bow and replace it with another Excal.

There are lots of people with much more experience who are very helpful on this website. I think Excalibur will be a great choice for you.

Registered
Excalibur Mag 340, Oracle X, Boo string
I already told you what I did to mine. I would also add that Excals actually shoot better and quieter with heavier than package arrows (factory Quills are total weight of 350 grains including 100 grain tip). FOC, front of center, weight distribution is key to accuracy, especially with broadheads. FOC can be added with heavier heads, or by aftermarket arrows with heavier inserts for the heads to screw into. Look at previous posts on this forum and you will find this to be the general concensus.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all of the help , much appreciated
Just ordered from Wyvern -
Ordered a realtree escape 340 mag - Hawke XB30- 6 dragon claw arrows, 6 spitfire broadheads, charger crank, lube, wax , tombstone case 400 grain arrows with heads
Also ordered Black 340 Mag - Hawke XB1- 6 dragon claw arrows - 3 spitfire heads -
An additional 6 arrows with lighted nocks and a bracket for the charger crank, stringer , a cease fire trigger to try

Now for spare strings - going to go the Flemish route as I see that most often mentioned

Thanks again all , Frank

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will recoup the cost selling my compounds so took a dive in the deep end without swimming lessons but figured found a home base if any issues will get the help I need here. Great group of folks and as already mentioned really appreciate the help- I have bowhunted my whole life , rarely gun hunting for anything and the realization hit home last night a new chapter needs to start . found the forum and off to the races

Registered
Thanks Guys ,
Have it narrowed down to the mag 340, micro 340 TD, Micro 380, suppresser 400td

Getting closer
Welcome to the boards.I have an Excal that is rated at 330 fps so if I bought another one and IF I were gonna use a crank then I personally would be very interested in something along the lines of the 380 you mentioned. Bjut thats just my opinion not based on actually holding nor shooting the crossbows. If there's an Excal shop anywhere near you Im sure you can go shoot all the ones youre interested in. Good luck with your decision........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts