Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
With the prices Wyvern had could afford both and have the black for turkeys in a blind and RT for the stands when I can get back to climbing , feeling good about the decision and excited to get them . Sure will have a lot more questions but feeling good about site as well heck of intro fro sure

Thanks Frank

·
Registered
648 Posts
I will recoup the cost selling my compounds so took a dive in the deep end without swimming lessons but figured found a home base if any issues will get the help I need here. Great group of folks and as already mentioned really appreciate the help- I have bowhunted my whole life , rarely gun hunting for anything and the realization hit home last night a new chapter needs to start . found the forum and off to the races
I think the Mag 340 is an excellent place to start. I have seldom read anything negative about this particular model, and it has been around for a couple years now (started as the Axe 340).

Even if you should decide that you may want something else years down the road, I think the Mag 340 would also be an excellent backup crossbow.

Unlike the past, all new Excalibur crossbows are within the Micro series. This means all new models except one (the 420) are shooting 16.5" bolts. Whether you buy the 340, 380 or 400 models (Assassin or Suppressor), they all shoot 16.5" arrows. If I owned two crossbows some day, I like the thought of keeping things simple. Being able to use the same arrow/broadhead combination for two different crossbows is simple to me. This may not mean much to some, but this is a big plus to me.

I am still clinging to my compound bow as long as possible, but I have a used Centerpoint crossbow in my closet as backup. When the day comes for me to hang up my compound bow for good, I am leaning in the same direction as you. The first time I visited an archery shop with any interest in crossbows, I went to a place where the Mag 340 was in stock. I cocked & shot it side-by-side to a Mission Sub-1. Considering the price difference at the time, I really felt the Mag 340 was quite the value.

If I decide to go the Excalibur route some day, I see myself having an extra set of limbs & an extra string on hand at all times (especially if it's my only crossbow at the time). The ability to change one's limbs or string themselves is a huge plus to owning an Excalibur. If you have those items on hand, you are not going to miss any days of hunting. Plus, Excalibur crossbows are accurate. There's a good reason they still exist in a market that seems dominated by crossbows with compound limbs.

I'm sure these are all factors that went into your Mag 340 decision, too! I hope you have a great upcoming season!

·
Registered
Excalibur Equinox, Micro Mag 340
489 Posts
Thanks again for all of the help , much appreciated
Just ordered from Wyvern -
Ordered a realtree escape 340 mag - Hawke XB30- 6 dragon claw arrows, 6 spitfire broadheads, charger crank, lube, wax , tombstone case 400 grain arrows with heads
Also ordered Black 340 Mag - Hawke XB1- 6 dragon claw arrows - 3 spitfire heads -
An additional 6 arrows with lighted nocks and a bracket for the charger crank, stringer , a cease fire trigger to try

Now for spare strings - going to go the Flemish route as I see that most often mentioned

Thanks again all , Frank
Hell yeah, great choices!👍

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Thanks again for all of the help , much appreciated
Just ordered from Wyvern -
Ordered a realtree escape 340 mag - Hawke XB30- 6 dragon claw arrows, 6 spitfire broadheads, charger crank, lube, wax , tombstone case 400 grain arrows with heads
Also ordered Black 340 Mag - Hawke XB1- 6 dragon claw arrows - 3 spitfire heads -
An additional 6 arrows with lighted nocks and a bracket for the charger crank, stringer , a cease fire trigger to try

Now for spare strings - going to go the Flemish route as I see that most often mentioned

Thanks again all , Frank
You are going to love that bow; I know I love shooting mine. It nails bullseyes everyday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got the Cb's yesterday afternoon, went right into changing the triggers to the new cease fire and quickly found no instructions, wasn't horrible to figure out but time consuming as wanted to double check everything. Going to pick-up some blue loctite today and secure the scope mounts and rings - anything else should Loctite ?
Outside of that the black has a brace height just under 1/2 inch off the reds and the camo was 1/4 inch - once I get the scopes mounted and level tonight will start slinging arrows and then once my new phone arrives can take some photos - old one the camera is shot.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts