Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an hour or two every weekend to my hunting spots, and use a Sniper 370 as my main bow. Because crossbow hard cases seem to be made of mithril or lined in gold, according to the cost, I have not bought a hard case, which leaves me to having it in a cheap soft case in the cab of my pickup, which is a ford ranger. This causes issues when I drive out with one of my friends, as they end up cuddling my bow. I have been considering using one of the multitude of cheap hard rifle cases and just breaking down the bow for travel each time, but before I start this wanted to ask some opinions.
Do you think, before I start testing and timing breaking down and putting back together the bow, repeated breakdowns of the bow will cause undue wear on the cables?
Will this act change my POI more than + or - 3/4 inch?
This for me, would be an acceptable margin for error.
Does anyone make replacement cable sliders for the bow in the case that during breakdown I send the cable slider into low earth orbit?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just my idea but some may have better suggestions. Most soft cases are padded. So just put it in the back of your truck. If you are worried about the weather, put the whole thing, case and all, in a 55 gal. drum liner bag. Just secure it so it doesn't slide around in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wouldn't ever disassemble a bow, gun, crossbow or scope during season unless its broken. Just asking for a miss/trouble. Spend the coin for a case or tell the friend to keep his hands off yo bitch.

·
1,223 Posts
There's really not going to be any wear and tear on the cables, slide or strings...as long as you are careful in your disassembly and assembly.

BUT, there WILL be wear and tear on the aluminum threads in the rail/barrel where the riser bolts to it.
IF...there is room, I would drill the existing threads and install a threaded insert made of stainless steel. And then use an anti-seize compound to further protect the threads.

As far as point of aim, as long as the two parts have a tight fit, there should be little to no change. If it is not a tight fit of the riser to the barrel/rail, I'm not sure I would do much disassembly/assembly, because what-ever it is...now, it will only get worse over time.

Mike

·
716 Posts
X2 on not breaking it down.
I have a nice padded soft case (Allen) that I keep my bow in that works well. Maybe you could get a larger plastic storage container from HD and place the cased bow in it for travel, just strap it down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thank you all for the responses so far!
My concern with getting the plastic storage or other cases is the fact that it's a small bed, when we get two climbers, two bows, and on good days, two deer, that little bed starts getting..... cramped.
I was reading with the Excalibur forums apparently it is not unusual to repeatedly break down their bows which is what got me thinking of the rifle case idea which would fit juuuuuust about anywhere, with a similar footprint to my buddies compound case.

In an ideal world, I would put down the extra 80-100 on a case, but its just not in the budget right now. I also have some travel coming up this next year and would be flying with the bow, i figured checking a rifle case might be a simpler operation than a crossbow case, if for space alone.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
I agree with your assessment of most hard cases. So I made my own.

I dont think you would cause any serious wear repeatedly breaking down the bow.You should be able to get a cable slide from Centerpoint.

I would suspect a poi change would occur upon doing so. I would not hunt without resighting in the bow.

Here's pics of the case I made. Not very portable but it protects the bow and holds plenty of other stuff. I can throw my climber or even a deer on it with no worries. A small tarp will make it weather proof. Cost me under $20 to make.
Sniper Case xbows 007.JPG
work,garden,art 008.jpg
Bane,Xbow case,tool box 2006-01-01 013.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alllllllright, that completely settles it. I am going to copy off of you Stalker. Any chance you have the measurements handy for what you did?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hey thank you all for the responses so far!
My concern with getting the plastic storage or other cases is the fact that it's a small bed, when we get two climbers, two bows, and on good days, two deer, that little bed starts getting..... cramped.
I was reading with the Excalibur forums apparently it is not unusual to repeatedly break down their bows which is what got me thinking of the rifle case idea which would fit juuuuuust about anywhere, with a similar footprint to my buddies compound case.

In an ideal world, I would put down the extra 80-100 on a case, but its just not in the budget right now. I also have some travel coming up this next year and would be flying with the bow, i figured checking a rifle case might be a simpler operation than a crossbow case, if for space alone.
We had an airline completely crush flat a Colman plastic lantern case with the lantern inside it. Beware of any odd shaped container the luggage system can't handle when flying.

·
1,223 Posts
Build a "ski" rack for the top of your Ranger...only to hold a coupla crossbows, not skis..!
The arrows can go inside, they don't take up much room...

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure the ranger can handle that much weight of a case above. lol
HAH, no argument frankly, but the fact that I could conceivably build that out, as long as it fits against the cab then build a simple roof rack for the treestands.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I can get my crossbow behind the Seat in my Tacoma with the seat all the way forward. Maybe not ideal for travel, but it hides it from prying eyes when stopping for lunch somewhere.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Alllllllright, that completely settles it. I am going to copy off of you Stalker. Any chance you have the measurements handy for what you did?
Outside dimensions are 43x26x12.If I had it to do all over I would have made it a little wider to hold wider bows.That would have taken another piece of plywood though. Dont forget to put some ripped down strips on the lid to keep it from warping.

Reactions: RRowe138

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In case there were any questions Because I was bored last night, I did do some testing with breaking down the bow multiple times. I am not having any descernable change in POI at 40 yards (the longest shot I can take at my house) and I maintain reliable groupings. In fact, I continue to run into the problem of piling bolts practically on top of each other. While I am going to build a box like yours Stalker, I think this weekend I am just going to toss her in a rifle case, to see if it is a viable solution. Frankly, if I run into issues with stripping, I will have centerpoint fix it, or just run an insert, likely SS. That said, as long as I continue to be careful, I do not really see the aluminum having issues at least in the short term.

·
Registered
876 Posts
In case there were any questions Because I was bored last night, I did do some testing with breaking down the bow multiple times. I am not having any descernable change in POI at 40 yards (the longest shot I can take at my house) and I maintain reliable groupings. In fact, I continue to run into the problem of piling bolts practically on top of each other. While I am going to build a box like yours Stalker, I think this weekend I am just going to toss her in a rifle case, to see if it is a viable solution. Frankly, if I run into issues with stripping, I will have centerpoint fix it, or just run an insert, likely SS. That said, as long as I continue to be careful, I do not really see the aluminum having issues at least in the short term.
Welcome to the nation fellow buckeye. Mounting the riser to the rail in the comfort of your living room will be a far cry from what you’re going to be dealing with Saturday morning in the dark with a forecast of -3° and bare hands.
Hopefully you have a warm place to Reassemble your bow. If you lose your cable slide in the snow while reassembling your bow at the truck you’ll be screwed if you don’t have a spare.
I’ll be using the muzzleloader Saturday morning:)

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Like the box Stalker. Good thinking.;):)

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
35 Posts
Should rethink the soft case and look at the 30.06 case I got the smaller one and it fits my CX piledriver perfect it's got great storage good padding a weather resistant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts