Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the group. Bought my r29x a few months ago, great bow. Paired it with the sig sauer bdx combo, shoots great! Recently ordered a few packs of ravin titanium 100 grain heads, decided to test a few. As you can see from the photo, I was less than impressed as neither deployed. Distance was 63.6 yards. Just curious if anyone has any recommendations for a good broad head to utilize with this setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have had great success with Rage Hypodermic 125 grain with the Red retainer rings. I am trying Sevr this year, because they hold up better I think, and they sell directly from the factory only so there is no chance of getting counter-fit heads like all the others. Otherwise they fly very true and also have replaceable blades. Rages are awful good also, just be sure and get non-counter-fit heads. Both fly VERY close to field tips (and I am a stickler for super accuracy). I use the Sig Sauer 2.5 x 8 32mm with both an 1800 and 1600 series range finder and BDX on both an R20 and an R10. Sevrs also cost less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. I’m the same regarding pinpoint accuracy and reliability. Yeah I have the series 1600 sig with this and love it. In a perfect world I’d love to be able to utilize the muzzys I used for years on my compounds, unfortunately I’ve been told impossible to tune on a bow over 400 FPS

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
Try one before you say it can't be done. I think it depends on how well a bow is tuned myself. I shoot some very old G5 Montecs out of my bows and get them to fly like darts.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Swat X Mags!! Fly great, amazing blood trails and puts game down quickly . I used to be a real Broadhead Junkie but haven’t looked at another Broadhead since using the Swat A4’s & now X Mags. Swat really does “ Drain Your Game”!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Swat X Mags!! Fly great, amazing blood trails and puts game down quickly . I used to be a real Broadhead Junkie but haven’t looked at another Broadhead since using the Swat A4’s & now X Mags. Swat really does “ Drain Your Game”!!
Wow,
Thanks Pronghorn.
I really like the looks of the SWATs. Thanks a bunch for sharing.
I think this will definitely be my next broadhead particularly after your recommendation.
Do you use their practice head as well?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I posted pics here some time ago.
Deer shot with swat.
A doe at 40 yards with R20 that looked like was shot say 243 rifle.
And this bigger 8 pointer shot at approx 52 yards with R20, he dropped in his tracks.
When raining especially swat has serious advantage- blood trail super.,

·
Registered
161 Posts
How do you guys get the rubber bands on the swat broadheads. I keep cutting it while trying to put it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Debating between Sevr and Swat and leaning towards sevr. Any strong opinions on one over the other?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ghnami

Sevr are great flying and I shot a decent buck last year with one. The exit wound got blocked even though the slice was huge. Deer only went 60 yards but I had no blood trail and had to hire a deer tracking dog to find the buck. I think that my not having a blood trail was a fluke. Maybe just the position of the exit wound? the broad head sliced a horiontal rather then verticle wound in just the right spot to get immediately blocked by fat or guts or something. The deer was internally full of blood. It sure did the job with the size of the slice. That said if it had another set of blades like the SWAT maybe the exit wound wouldn't have been able to get clogged?. I like that you can fix the sevr so you can use the actual broadhead as a practice head. It is a good confidence builder seeing were one of the exact broadheads you will be using is going to hit. My experience was that they flew exactly the same as field tips for me.

I have to review the video riflenut posted. The Swat broadheads also fly great. He sells them with a practice tip that flies exactly like the broadhead and they flew like a field point for me too. I am o-ring challenged with those and have cut a bunch of 0-rings trying to get them over that tip. I have had them in my quiver but never have shot a deer with them. The package comes with two of them already configured with the o ring so I was using those. They look pretty devastating I was just always afraid I would slice the o ring or not get it right and the blades would deploy early on me.

Both/either are the top choices in my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had great success with Rage Hypodermic 125 grain with the Red retainer rings. I am trying Sevr this year, because they hold up better I think, and they sell directly from the factory only so there is no chance of getting counter-fit heads like all the others. Otherwise they fly very true and also have replaceable blades. Rages are awful good also, just be sure and get non-counter-fit heads. Both fly VERY close to field tips (and I am a stickler for super accuracy). I use the Sig Sauer 2.5 x 8 32mm with both an 1800 and 1600 series range finder and BDX on both an R20 and an R10. Sevrs also cost less.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anybody tried the new Thorn Crown? The thorns fly well too. I just noticed the "crown" fixed blades they have now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts