Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got my Aculeus and my Ventilator 175 both dialed in to 60yds with the same Scorpyd labeled Black Eagle arrows marked .001/22. When I tried Slick Tricks they were diving 3"-4" at 60yds through my Ventilator. Ramcats were divind 4" and moving left about 3". My Aculeus does well enough with Ramcats but I'd prefer to have one head that works with both bows if possible.

Should I just go with mechanicals and be done with it? If so, is there a specific head that you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Fixed blades need Zombie Slayer carbon shafts ie.Spynal Tapps. AV2's on the back work well for me out of numerous xbows. Your ez way out is some mechanical.

·
205 Posts
You can not beat the accuracy of a Mechanical BH. Some bows will shoot a Fixed head well but in my experience it is the exception rather than the rule. For longer shots its tuff to get them to group. I switched to a mechanical BH many years ago and will not use anything else unless using my recurve where I use a 200grain 2 blade. I have killed bear deer elk caribou pigs and a couple aoudad with Rocket Steelheads. But too be honest most of the quality heads do the job. Most guys overthink it and switch after loosing an animal usually to a badly placed shot that they blame on the BH.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It’s really all about confidence. Personally prefer to use a fixed head if I can get them to group, but those Scorpyds generate sufficient momentum to overcome most penetration issues normally associated with mechanicals.

For the normal hunting setup with my Aculeus I finally went to mechanicals - just too much speed for consistency with fixed heads. But I also have a dangerous game setup with ~900gr total weight bolt including a 180gr German Kinetic head. Now if I could only find a T-Rex.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ramcat Diamonback work very well with my Scorpyds and my SpynalTapp with Aerovane lll.

Reactions: bbahunter

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I been shooting Rage crossbow hypodermics the past couple of years. They been good to me. They were recommended by Scorpyd. The Rage extremes were also recommended but I found the blades were breaking off so I switched to the Hypo's. I have gained a lot of confidence in the Hypo. The Vent and Aculeus are very punishing on broadhead so you need something tough. The new NC Im not too impressed with.

I also used Swhacker 3 blade heads and they work well. I have yet to break one and followed a blood trail to the dead deer every one I shot with them. The one deer I shot with them I watched the blood instantly start pooring out of the deer. Both sides. The entrance isn't big but they work and don't break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts