Crossbow Nation banner

Your bow shoots 325 fps. You're hunting for just elk.

• Magnus Stinger Buzzcut

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • SEVR 1.5

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • SEVR Robusto

Votes: 9 25.7%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They will all do the job. If you are looking for max penetration then Magnus. If looking for bigger cut but no pass through the Robusto.

Reactions: Muley Hunter

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for advice but thanks anyway. I want to know what everybody would pick for themselves from this choice. Only one pick.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry can't do one, I shoot Grim Reapers out of one setup and SWAT X magnum out of another.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nobody is voting. I've already made my choice. I just want to see what others would pick.

Imagine these 3 broadheads are the only ones made. You have to pick one if you want to hunt.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
116 views and two votes. You guys aren't very good at polls. :p

Yes, I voted in my own poll.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I would imagine that the majority of us have not shot any of your choices in the poll. I opened this because I open all new posts or they just keep popping up until I do.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my real question is, will the SEVR reliably pass through an elk. I wasn't convinced of the answer and decided to go with the Magnus. I did want to see opinions because I was still open minded about using the SEVR. This is the toughest decision i've ever had concerning broadheads. I would just pick a fixed head and be done with it. For some reason the SEVR keeps calling to me.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
How many people do you think actually happen to use those exact heads?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My question was which one would you use? Not which one did you use? I haven't used any of them either but I still need to make the choice.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm not looking for advice but thanks anyway. I want to know what everybody would pick for themselves from this choice. Only one pick.
Now I'm really confused.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Be glad you didn’t get many votes. It’s better than a lot of people voting that have no experience with elk, or the heads you mentioned. It would be useless advice. I didn’t vote because I wouldn’t use either of them. I do know where you hit is a lot more important than what you hit with.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I guess my real question is, will the SEVR reliably pass through an elk. I wasn't convinced of the answer and decided to go with the Magnus. I did want to see opinions because I was still open minded about using the SEVR. This is the toughest decision i've ever had concerning broadheads. I would just pick a fixed head and be done with it. For some reason the SEVR keeps calling to me.
Muley, after casting my vote I see I tend to agree with the current majority of using the Magnus. I wish you good luck on your elk hunt too. I am hoping the elk you get will be a once in a lifetime animal and I would want a solid broadhead incase of bone or any other issues. If you don't mind a live simulation test, you could always shoot the elk after its down from a distance of your choice with the broadheads you took along and see if you get a pass through. I wouldn't think you'd be damaging or wasting any meat at that point. Just my opinion and you would know the answer to your own question.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Interesting idea but how could it be done? Out in the middle of nowhere and the elk on the ground. How would you get a pass through?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Muley, after casting my vote I see I tend to agree with the current majority of using the Magnus. I wish you good luck on your elk hunt too. I am hoping the elk you get will be a once in a lifetime animal and I would want a solid broadhead incase of bone or any other issues. If you don't mind a live simulation test, you could always shoot the elk after its down from a distance of your choice with the broadheads you took along and see if you get a pass through. I wouldn't think you'd be damaging or wasting any meat at that point. Just my opinion and you would know the answer to your own question.
The beauty of the Magnus is if your broadhead does not get a complete pass through and it is stuck inside the cookie jar/boiler room, it has 8 blades to cut with if you choose the 4 blade option....if the arrow goes either one way or the other it is going to cut. They are very sturdy/reliable. The SEVR is a very good broadhead that was engineered extremely well...the ability to deflect around a bone is unique. The only one question I have....and I am going exclusively to SEVR in the future, is blades are designed to overlap instead of break and is that going to be detrimental?.....folks that have already used them love the flight/accuracy....and really everything about them.
Fred

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I would let the sucker walk because too much work.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Interesting idea but how could it be done? Out in the middle of nowhere and the elk on the ground. How would you get a pass through?
I guess you would consider a pass thru if it tried to exit but stuck into the ground. This would be shooting into an elk laying uphill or downhill from you.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I was just hunting for a buck i'd use the Robusto without a second thought. I guess i'm more comfortable with the Magnus for elk.

Normally, i'd consider the most accurate head but I don't see enough difference to sway me one way or the other. I know the Magnus will shoot through if I do my part. The SEVR might too but I need more proof.

I've said this before. It would crush me to wound an animal. I'll shoot the Magnus.

Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts