Crossbow Nation banner

Your bow shoots 325 fps. You're hunting for just elk.

• Magnus Stinger Buzzcut

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • SEVR 1.5

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • SEVR Robusto

Votes: 9 25.7%
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you hit in the vitals, heart, lungs, why is it so important to have a pass thru? It is still going to be dead in a short period of time. Typically a double lung hit with a pass thru will not produce much more of a blood trail. A lung hit is more of a internal bleeding wound. Actually if I was to hunt elk, I would not use any the heads you show, I would use what I do for whitetails, A slicktrick standard four blade fixed. Why? Because I am more concerned with a surgical sharp blade rather then the size of the cut. Additionally, with many years of use I have never had a bad experience and extremely pleased with the broadhead. Now I am not boasting, but have had close to fifty five years bowhunting and have seen tons of broadheads come and go, and they all claim to be the best. You have to make your own choices. Granted elk are tougher then deer, but sometimes even a double lung hit with a 30-06 will act like it was not even hit, but it will still be lethal.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A pass through guarantees me a hole through both lungs. That's good to know before tracking the game.

Like i've said. I never lost any game and that's because I never take a chance in shot placement or what i'm sending towards an animal. There is no negative in getting a pass through. I have no concern if the arrow is never found. I'll trade an arrow and broadhead for an elk any day.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
So.....like requested....my SWAG vote is in.:)

Reactions: Muley Hunter

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
My choice would be the Robusto. I love that the blades lock open when deployed. If for some reason you don’t get a pass thru those blades are cutting every step he makes. 150 gr. and the blades are redesigned... more swept back should be a real killer ! That’s my opinion !

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
3 votes for the Robusto. I'm so tempted to try it. I really like the looks of it and it's 150gr like the Magnus.

If I take a heart shot which isn't hard on an elk. That 2" cut should really tear up the heart.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A pass through guarantees me a hole through both lungs. That's good to know before tracking the game.

Like i've said. I never lost any game and that's because I never take a chance in shot placement or what i'm sending towards an animal. There is no negative in getting a pass through. I have no concern if the arrow is never found. I'll trade an arrow and broadhead for an elk any day.
Well if you shoot enough animals, there is a good chance you will loose one eventually. It’s not fun for sure. I have been shooting deer and hogs since I was 15 with archery gear I’m 50 now and lost several in that span In over 200 animals Using ALOT of different heads, I have never lost one animal due to broadhead failure. I don’t ever expect to loose one because of my broadhead. I would worry a lot more about where the shot goes than what’s on the end of the stick.
Unless you choose something way in left field, accuracy and shot placement are what determines the outcome.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
At this point the odds are against me going all the way but I have to be close to the end. 70 years is a long time to hunt. The older I got I kept saying to myself....."You can go all the way but be careful...very careful". I feel like i've passed up a ton of shots being careful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hell, I killed my one and only elk using an Osage Self-Bow and a flint knapped obsidian broadhead, it was around 15 yards and got a pass through (mostly, fletchings stuck inside for a few yards). With the power generated by a crossbow you should get a pass through with virtually any head (long as you arent shooting too far).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I vote for the Robosto! That’s what I’m going to use this year. I think the Sevr will surprise you In a good way.

Reactions: Muley Hunter

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My decision was made for me this morning. My Lakota friend who was going to help me get the meat out for an elk has changed my plans. He decided to marry his girlfriend and she's Lakota too. They're going to move back to So Dakota in a couple of months. So, i'm left alone to do the whole hunt now. No way will I hunt for an elk and get the meat out. I'm going to really struggle getting a deer out but I want to try. I have to try. I'm not going to stay home and not hunt.

So, i'm now comfortable using the Robusto for a buck. They pull out easy from the 18-1 and I can send the puller back.

Thanks again for humoring an old man. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I found this post interesting. I voted for the Magnus. Because I have killed three elk with them. That was with my vertical bow shooting at 240 FPS.
My crossbow shoots with the arrow (456 grains) set up I have around 344 FPS. I bought some of the Sevr Robusto to try this year. They shoot so well Out my crossbow.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
MH...you dont know ANYBODY that you can call that owns a mule, 4-wheeler, even a dirt bike that can help you get the elk meat out of the woods?!? Heck! Give the game warden a call and see if he'll be able to help you after you explain your situation..

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Not really. I'm not one to ask for favors. I need to get this done myself. It's not just getting the meat out. It's skinning and butchering it up. I can't bend over to do it and my knees are so stiff they feel like they're going to pop when I kneel down. Knee pads might help. I'll need to buy some and see.

I've been looking at the stats at the DOW and deer tags have really gotten hard to get in archery season without points. Elk is much easier. Bear is really easy but they taste like crap. I may have to still go for elk and try and get a smaller cow. At least i'll love the meat and have a good chance at a tag.

That's the best plan I can come up with. Elk tag, small cow, and do my best to get the meat out. i might as well stay with the Magnus. I already bought them and should use them.

I have time to exercise. Maybe I can loosen up my knees some. I'm thinking a plastic sled might be easier on my back than carrying it. I'll just load light loads and do a lot of trips. I picked a spot to hunt that's not too steep and is only 10,000ft. That altitude won't tire me out so bad.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I used to know a few guys with horses in Colorado that would quarter an elk up and pack it out for 125.00. But that was looong time ago. I don’t know what they charge now.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I always said if I can't do the whole hunt I should not hunt. I made a deal with my Lakota friend. I was going to show him some good spots to hunt and give him half the meat. I figured it was a fair trade. Plus, I was going to help haul out the meat best I could. I was also going to help him get an elk.

Well, that plan is gone now. On to Plan B.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Find a young guy to mentor and let him do the hard work. That is what I did. This is my drag man now and that is my old bow I sold him.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts