Crossbow Nation banner

Your bow shoots 325 fps. You're hunting for just elk.

• Magnus Stinger Buzzcut

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • SEVR 1.5

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • SEVR Robusto

Votes: 9 25.7%
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I'll get it done Robert. Or die trying.
I used to know a few guys with horses in Colorado that would quarter an elk up and pack it out for 125.00. But that was looong time ago. I don’t know what they charge now.

Muley, Can you ride a horse? If so, maybe rent a horse? Might be easier than pulling a sled of meat out.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I don't want to complain anymore about med problems. I hate doing that. Let me just say a horse won't work. I wish it would,

·
Registered
871 Posts
You got me curious, Why would horses not work? I have been on a quite a few horseback elk hunts in Northwestern Wyoming. Never had any issues with horses hauling elk, other then some needed to get over the smell of elk meat when loading the panniers We also had to go through some pretty tough timber. You just need two horses per elk, if only making one trip.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you must know. I have Osteoporosis. My bones are brittle and break easy. Riding a horse would crack my spine. The last animal I rode was a few years ago but he died.

My mule Fred.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
If you must know. I have Osteoporosis. My bones are brittle and break easy. Riding a horse would crack my spine. The last animal I rode was a few years ago but he died.

My mule Fred.

View attachment 193360
[/QUOTE
Muley, I understand that for sure and so sorry to hear. My wife has the same issue and has to be real careful. Whatever you decide, good luck and I am hoping you get the big one and make it back in good shape.

Reactions: Muley Hunter

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, you guys voted and I appreciate it. If I add up both SEVR heads it has a good lead. Even the Robusto by itself is 9 to 12 with the Magnus. I'm more than surprised.

As someone who used a 2 blade fixed head all my life. I never would have guessed so many thought a 2" cut was good for elk. I guess i'm still living in the past with using a 50lb longbow. I underestimate the killing power of a crossbow. Even a low fps version like mine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry to hear about your medical conditions. However If you hire it done, you don't have to ride. Even if you have your own horses or mules, you could just lead them without riding.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You want me to walk to my hunting area? I don't have a trailer of vehicle big enough to haul it anymore.

I don't camp anymore and i'm a still hunter. What do I do with the horse when hunting? I never pay for anything I should be doing myself.

Thanks, for the thought but it won't work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am a member of "Christian Hunter of America". Cabela's is one of our many sponsors. Point being maybe you can find a group like ours in your area, go to sporting good and archery shops to ask if they know of any such groups and or look into hunting type club etc. If you find one then ask those guys if someone would like to accompany you on your elk hunt. I know quit a few guys in
Christian Hunter of America have accompanied guys on their elk hunt. They are also willing to do everything you need done once an elk is on the ground.
As far as broadheads Sevr is the one I use, just can't beat hunting with the same broadhead you practice shooting with!! As already mentioned, they fly great and are extremely accurate out of a crossbow! Also as mentioned shot placement is key. Doesn't matter what broadhead you use if you make a bad shot. It is a confidence builder to know the exact same broadhead you use for hunting is the same one you used to practice with. You know exactly where it will hit! What you are aiming at! Good luck and God bless you!!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks Albert for the post. However, if you knew me you'd know i'm the ultimate loner. I'm an old crabby mountain man who believes in doing everything myself and alone. Even when i'd go hunting with my dad and brother in the 50's i'd be off on my own until I came back with an animal.

Way too old to change now.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts