Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new R29 from Wyverns last week and I’m trying to research the best broadhead to use with it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you get some in the pack from Wyvern? Mine came with ravin aluminum broadheads.

I've heard good things about Sevr, Rage hypodermic, and if I do buy more I think I'll get SWAT x mags.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get some in the pack from Wyvern? Mine came with ravin aluminum broadheads.

I've heard good things about Sevr, Rage hypodermic, and if I do buy more I think I'll get SWAT x mags.
It did come with a pack, but I’ve read some not so good reviews on them. There’s gotta be better heads out there than those...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
My local dealer swears by the G5 Outdoors Deadmeat broadheads, I use them with my R20.

Reactions: rutman007

·
Registered
377 Posts
Like Hunter said...The TruGlo Titanium X get a lot of love on CBN. So do NAP Spitfires, Rage, Grim Reapers, SEVR, Thorn, Muzzy HBX, and a few others. I have settled on the NAP Spitfire 3 blade for my Viper. I also bought some Dead Ringer X Nasty heads. My preference is to go with heads that do not require a collar or band and have practice heads available or at least have the ability to lock the blades for practice purposes. Whatever you wind up choosing, make sure you get the crossbow version and not the vert bow version. Even some of the "Made for Xbow" heads will open in flight when pushed to 400 fps and beyond. The mechanical heads I mentioned above all have a reputation for staying closed at 400 fps and beyond.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The X-bow broadheads have a larger diameter ferrell to mate up with the larger diameter arrows crossbows shoot.

I did extensive testing with them today. Same hole accuracy at 50 yds. That was the 4 blade mechanical for the X-bow. I was amazed how easily they pulled from my Blob target.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I neglected to mention, at first, I was concerned about the small gap between my arrow shaft and the broadhead. I'm guessing it might be .015" - .020 " at most. All six of the heads I mounted screwed down tight to the arrow shaft. All six spun true. Even after shooting them into my Blob target, the heads still spun true. I might add, removal from the Blob was easy and no apparent damage to the broadhead. The small gap is a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Raven R20and have killed 6 animals with Thunderhead 100gr.I am shooting Magnus Black Hornets 125gr.now,and will use them on elk in New Mexico starting Sept 1,They are dialed from 20 -100 yds.Don't figure to shoot that far,but the bow and the broadheads are up to it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The X-bow broadheads have a larger diameter ferrell to mate up with the larger diameter arrows crossbows shoot.

I did extensive testing with them today. Same hole accuracy at 50 yds. That was the 4 blade mechanical for the X-bow. I was amazed how easily they pulled from my Blob target.
Although I already have some NAP Spitfires and Dead Ringer X Nasty's, the TruGlo's get so much love on CBN that I HAD to get me some! Just ordered 2 packs, and each pack comes with a $5 manufacturers rebate. So essentially I paid $28 a pack. That deal is like a sore ***k....ya just can't beat it! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
377 Posts
What's the difference between the truglo xbow broadheads and the regular truglo broadheads?
Like Dang It said. That and some of them bran heads have stiffer/stronger mechanism's to keep the head closed from the inertia of a high speed crossbow. That of course, is dependent upon which brand head and how they are designed to operate. Some are friction based and others are truly mechanical, in which they rely on an internal mechanism to deploy the blades, like compression springs inside the ferrule, which are generally operated by pressure on the tip of the head. I'm not 100% sure the supposed differences are truly different at all, when it comes to some manufacturers claims and price points between Xbow and Vert bow heads....could all be BS for all I know. LOL! What I HAVE noticed to be true in one particular brand, is the difference in length of the head. The Dead Ringer Nasty's which are for Vert bow's, are quite a bit longer than the X Nasty heads for Xbow's. Other than the length, there is no visual difference between the two. I suspect that other manufacturers heads are likely follow the same pattern.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good to know. Ordered some truglos for the season. Couldn't resist at that price. Still debating about sevrs and swat x mags.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
I neglected to to mention, at first, I was concerned about the small gap between my arrow shaft and the broadhead. I'm guessing it might be .015" - .020 " at most. All six of the heads I mounted screwed down tight to the arrow shaft. All six spun true. Even after shooting them into my Blob target, the heads still spun true. I might add, removal from the Blob was easy and no apparent damage to the broadhead. The small gap is a non-issue for me.
I have a bunch of Rage Hypodermics in standard and crossbow heads and actually prefer the standard heads even with the slightly smaller ferrell. A total non-issue to me also.

·
Registered
232 Posts
................... What I HAVE noticed to be true in one particular brand, is the difference in length of the head. The Dead Ringer Nasty's which are for Vert bow's, are quite a bit longer than the X Nasty heads for Xbow's. Other than the length, there is no visual difference between the two. I suspect that other manufacturers heads are likely follow the same pattern.
Typically, if the ferrell diameter is increased, the overall length of the head is shortened to maintain the proper weight of the broadhead. ie 100 gr. or 125 gr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts