Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I shoot a lot of arrows at a lot of targets. Does someone actually make a broadhead target that the arrows don't penetrate to the fletching out of fast bows and you do not need a block and tackle to pull the arrows out?

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
It's hard to pull the arrows out of the Blob. Even with an aid, such as the D&D arrow puller. You have to twist and pull pretty hard. I havnt shot a mechanical into it yet but I'm pretty sure it would damage the blades. I try to avoid mechanical blades for this reason. I don't know of any other target that is as effective as the Blob though. I bought the High Roller from Morrell Targets and the arrow from my Nemesis 480 sunk halfway in from 30 yards.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I have yet to find a broadhead target to my liking. Worst part is being able to pull the arrows. With fast bows, it has become such a chore that I don't practice as much with broadheads as I should. It took me two days to pull an arrow recently. I tried everything I could to try to get it out. Finally wiggled it pretty good side to side and squirted oil down along the shaft and let it sit overnight. Used an old piece of innertube to get a better grip and was able to finally get it out.

I have been told that there is a new technology coming for targets that will reduce penetration on fast bows, but time will tell.

·
Registered
295 Posts
High Roller from Morrell Targets for me too. Removing arrows is as easy as getting a field tipped arrow out of a regular target. A 410 fps arrow didn't penetrate it much more than a 325 fps arrow.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
High roller sounds like it is getting some good reports. Might have to look into one of them.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
It's hard to pull the arrows out of the Blob. Even with an aid, such as the D&D arrow puller. You have to twist and pull pretty hard. I havnt shot a mechanical into it yet but I'm pretty sure it would damage the blades. I try to avoid mechanical blades for this reason. I don't know of any other target that is as effective as the Blob though. I bought the High Roller from Morrell Targets and the arrow from my Nemesis 480 sunk halfway in from 30 yards.
I have a torn left rotator cuff and shooting Hypodermics from my R20 into my Blob and pull them fairly easily using plier type pullers which are probably a step down from the DD pullers. I have not damaged any blades so far and the blades reverse and that makes them come out easier also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What's wrong the Block Crossbow target? I'm on my second one. You get four sides to choose from, and all I have to do is flip the bolts to face skyward, put a foot on the target and put a heavvy even pull on the bolt.

If you have two bolts nearly touching it can be difficult to pull them, so I shoot differnt spots with each. 20 to 60 yards, no trouble.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's wrong the Block Crossbow target? I'm on my second one. You get four sides to choose from, and all I have to do is flip the bolts to face skyward, put a foot on the target and put a heavvy even pull on the bolt.
I had issues with mine sinking too deep into the Block out of fast bows, then it being a nightmare to pull the arrows with so little to hold onto.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had issues with mine sinking too deep into the Block out of fast bows, then it being a nightmare to pull the arrows with so little to hold onto.

I shoot Easton XX75 2219 bolts, could that be why I have no issues? Are the thinner Carbon bolts harder to get out? Only thing that comes to mind. I have one Xbow @ 305 FPS, and the newer one is @ 380 FPS, using the aluminum bolts on both.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I shoot Easton XX75 2219 bolts, could that be why I have no issues? Are the thinner Carbon bolts harder to get out? Only thing that comes to mind. I have one Xbow @ 305 FPS, and the newer one is @ 380 FPS, using the aluminum bolts on both.
Carbon arrow shafts generate heat causing foam in a target to bond to the shaft.
Aluminum arrow shafts disapate heat making for a much easier removal. The
farther one is away from the target and the lower the draw weight, the less arrow
penetration.
Watching you tube videos, this is where the false advertisement comes in. Many
videos are shown shooting vertical bows, longer distances and there for easier
arrow removal.

All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My Rhinehart 18 handles my Nemesis pretty good! Sink about half way and pull pretty easy!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Matrix target and a D&D arrow puller. Stops my Grim Reaper no problem. Not to bad to pull by hand but the puller makes it a dream.

·
2,811 Posts
I have a torn left rotator cuff and shooting Hypodermics from my R20 into my Blob and pull them fairly easily using plier type pullers which are probably a step down from the DD pullers. I have not damaged any blades so far and the blades reverse and that makes them come out easier also.
I have used both the DD and Danny Miller's arrow pliers and much prefer D Miller's over the DD's.... JMO

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts