Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My belief is that a perfect arrow can make an imperfect broadhead look good but a great broadhead cannot make an imperfect arrow look good.
So...
Knowing this... How do you test a broadhead (for the public) and have confidence that the results you show (with perfect equipment) will translate?

This just sort of came to mind, after offering to do some testing on another site.
With so many newcomers, who are shooting who knows what, of what use would such testing/results be to Joe and Jane average?

Reactions: Vee

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd be happy just knowing what arrow and what velocity was used. But with enough time you could have two (or more) sets of tests. Say all the broadheads tested with a medium velocity bow/crossbow and another set with the same broadheads tested at high velocity bow/crossbow.

As a side note, I'm waiting on on a 5" to 6" entrance and exit hole with field point accuracy to 100 yards. I need to be guaranteed a full pass through regardless of distance or shot angle. But other than those requirements, I'm flexible on everything else. :)

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
I would much rather hear about the quality of the broadhead in relationship to it being shot. Will it hold up? Field point accuracy? Speed being tested at? Lastly, what arrow it was used on. Total grain weight of arrow with tip, straightness, distances shot.

Reactions: Lever Action

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I ran testing, There were 5 determining factors.
#1: Blade edge retention. - Bone test - Must remain sharp to 70%
#2: Ferrule integrity. - Angled hard impact : 45 degrees
#3: Blade sharpness out of the package : able to sever rubber band grind at all contact points.
#4: High speed Flight - Point of aim impact : grouping
#5: Hard angle penetration (ribs) - Must not jack knife/glance
Any head that could not pass all 5 areas of interest failed the test. These test were ran at 280 & 330 fps, at that time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.