Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you test broadhead durability with aerovane 3 or any vanes 1/2" plywood, tire, 55gal drum etc? and at what yardage ? thanks

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Having done this... On a paid level....
Everything you mention is irrelevant to testing of a broadhead.

Reactions: Dang It

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh, Any suggestions on to test the blades breaking on a high spin rate of an aerovane 3 at 430+ fps

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can hardly wait for 1/2" plywood season, still waiting for my 55 gallon drum tag to arrive. LOL! Seriously, unless you are shooting some poorly made knock-off discount broadhead, I would be more interested in finding an accurate shooting arrow/broadhead combination. I can't think of a single major brand broadhead designed for crossbow use that won't hold up when entering a deer. If that deer were behind a 1/2" sheet of plywood, I would wait until it stepped clear and before it walked into a thicket of 55 gallon barrels.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
You taking the ribbing well vett.:):) There's plenty of tests already done on U-tube using various broadheads. Take a look at those to get some ideas.;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
With that high of a spin rate of the Aero 3's, I think you could learn more by shooting into a soft medium. Such as a foam target. The foam would represent an animals composition the best.

Metal or wood should break most broadheads due to the extreme spinning action of the Aero 3's. Just not a practical test.

When I test broadheads, I use a Blob target at 50 yds. I look for straight line arrow flight and same hole accuracy. Always been good for me. Just today, I was testing the TruGlo X-Bow Titanium 4 Blade Mechanical Broadheads. WOW! Those things are impressive. They will be my "Go To Heads" this year.

As others have said, make sure it flies well and is accurate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Vett,
Here is some "Food For Thought" on some testing results I compiled last year. My little Ravin isn't the quality of your "Custom Burky", but it's important to see what different arrow combinations can do.

...................................Ravin Arrows ...................... Jerry's Spynal Tapp Arrows .....
Tip Weight ............ 100 gr. .......... 125 gr. .......... 100 gr. .......... 125 gr. .......... 145 gr.
Total Weight ......... 400 gr. .......... 425 gr. .......... 445 gr. .......... 470 gr. .......... 490 gr.

10 11/16" ATA ....... 418 fps ......... 414 fps .......... 400 fps ......... 394 fps ......... 389 fps
10 1/2" ATA . ......... 433 fps ......... 425 fps .......... 411 fps ......... 410 fps ......... 396 fps

Jerry's arrows have 110 gr. inserts and blazer vanes. All Jerry's arrows had lighted nocks.

Without making any changes to the scope (I did adjust the ATA back to speck), I shot Jerry’s 445 - 470 - 490 arrows at 50 yds. Here is the target. The bullseye circle ⭕ contains 8 shots with the 470 gr. I was not sighted in with these arrows.

5BCF7FFB-281E-49B2-89FD-F44FE819DE75.jpeg

The large spread in the 100’s might be due to just resetting my ATA.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
How would you test broadhead durability with aerovane 3 or any vanes 1/2" plywood, tire, 55gal drum etc? and at what yardage ? thanks
Just shooting a BH into a foam target is enough test durability. You might be lucky if you don't tear them up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guy this is the type of info I was looking for. You look at u-tube and they shoot at all kinds of things (plywood,carpet steel etc) I don't want to destroy them ,but I'd like to know they won't break a blade hitting bone. Maybe I'm getting a little to deep into this subject !

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Thanks guy this is the type of info I was looking for. You look at u-tube and they shoot at all kinds of things (plywood,carpet steel etc) I don't want to destroy them ,but I'd like to know they won't break a blade hitting bone. Maybe I'm getting a little to deep into this subject !
For what it's worth I have been bow hunting for over 50 years and have shot a lot of deer with a lot of varied broadheads over that time period and have never had a blade break on me yet. (knock on wood) I am currently shooting Rage Hypodermics and see a lot of folks on the forums saying they had blades break using them but I have not yet had that happen. I suspect they are breaking when hitting rocks after pass throughs more than on bones.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had more damage to broadheads when shooting into foam broadhead targets than deer, and that includes several shoulder blade hits. NAP Spitfires always shot accurately for me and did a wonderful job on deer. I did get the occasional bent blade on deer. In my Rinehart 18-1 broadhead target, four or five shots with the same Spitfire would break blades. Spitfire practice heads did not shoot well for me, so I always used the regular Spitfire. I have switched broadheads and now use the NAP 125 SlingBlade. I've shot a SlingBlade in that same target 10 times with no noticeable damage and easier removal. Everything I read says they work better on deer than the Spitfire, they are more accurate for me, and we will see how they work this Fall. I would recommend you give the SlingBlade a try, as they are very tough and literally shoot the same as my fieldpoints out to 60 yards, which is as far as I have shot them. They are guaranteed not to open prematurely at any crossbow speed. I'll bet spin rate wouldn't make any difference either. I will admit, after reading your first post, that I have been tempted to shoot a SlingBlade at a 55 gallon drum to see how tough it really is. If the State institutes a season on metal lawn ornaments, I want to be ready! Vett, good luck with your set up. When you find a broadhead that shoots great for you, forget about everything else and just use it. The odds are your local deer will be in big trouble!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've had more damage to broadheads when shooting into foam broadhead targets than deer, and that includes several shoulder blade hits. NAP Spitfires always shot accurately for me and did a wonderful job on deer. I did get the occasional bent blade on deer. In my Rinehart 18-1 broadhead target, four or five shots with the same Spitfire would break blades. Spitfire practice heads did not shoot well for me, so I always used the regular Spitfire. I have switched broadheads and now use the NAP 125 SlingBlade. I've shot a SlingBlade in that same target 10 times with no noticeable damage and easier removal. Everything I read says they work better on deer than the Spitfire, they are more accurate for me, and we will see how they work this Fall. I would recommend you give the SlingBlade a try, as they are very tough and literally shoot the same as my fieldpoints out to 60 yards, which is as far as I have shot them. They are guaranteed not to open prematurely at any crossbow speed. I'll bet spin rate wouldn't make any difference either. I will admit, after reading your first post, that I have been tempted to shoot a SlingBlade at a 55 gallon drum to see how tough it really is. If the State institutes a season on metal lawn ornaments, I want to be ready! Vett, good luck with your set up. When you find a broadhead that shoots great for you, forget about everything else and just use it. The odds are your local deer will be in big trouble!
Ok! Science Guy,
Hopefully I will be glad I took your advice seriously about the Sling blades by NAP being good in your test.
I found a sale on the net and bought some. For 15 bucks per 3 pack it want cost much to try.
I have used the Spitefires 3 blades for 20 years. Gotta try for better to be better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have me wanting to look into those as well! I was always a Muzzy 100gr 3 blade fixed guy when I used a compound bow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want a super sharp, accurate, strong broad head then buy a pack of G5 strikers. I shoot the 125 grain Strikers with awesome results.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts