Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Ken welcome to CBN and congratulations on your new bow. You will not have any problems going to a 125gr head but it will change the foc weight. You may notice a difference at longer ranges. Just screw on a 100 grain tip and pay attention to the difference in the point of impact.

·
Registered
14,158 Posts
25 grains shouldn't change anything as far as how your arrows fly. If you wasn't shooting a quality arrow the 125's would be reacting badly too. Try the 100's at all your yardages that you shoot and then decide. I think you will be fine. Just have to re-zero a bit.;):)

Reactions: Fletcher

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, that's a fast bow. More weight on the arrow at 125 g usually group better due to FOC. I hear the 100 g heads will increase the bow noise a bit but the 125g have a little bit more momentum. I suggest do an FOC % on both 125 and 100. There are FOC calculators on the web. I'd choose the better FOC if both group well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
FWIW my 20" BEEs weigh 485 gr with 150 gr Slick Trick Mags and about 19% FOC. This combination is accurate for me with FPs & BHs hitting same POI at 30 yards.

FOC method that I use for my 20” BEEs (Note - FOC = Front of Center)

1. Total arrow length minus the BH/FP on my BEEs = 20.5” (nock to insert)

2. Balance point with BH/FP installed on my BEEs = 14.125” (nock to balance point)

3. Arrow mid point is 10.25” (1/2 length)

4. Difference between mid point and balance point = 3.875” (14.15” – 10.25”)

5. FOC is difference, 3.875” divided by total length minus the BH/FP 20.5” = .189024.

6. Convert to % by multiply .189024 x 100 = 18.9% FOC

Reactions: Pathfinder60

·
5,628 Posts
You will need to test the proposed BH at whatever max range desired. 1st test a field point at that range . If it won’t group well;, then, the broadhead certainly wouldn’t. There are two primary factors at play - 1) FOC /steering ability of vanes and 2) the spine (stiffness) of the arrow. #2 will be the major factor in “archer’s paradox” . The stiffer the spine, with a railed crossbow, the better. If a 20” arrow has an FOC of 18 or better and doesn’t shoot well, likely the spine is too weak.

Summary - Shoot the field point at your max desired range. If it does well, shoot the broadhead at that range. Then decide.

PS As time goes on, I keep gravitating towards heavier BHs. For a fixed BH, the 150g Crossbow Trick is excellent as if the 125g Grizz Trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts