Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, just wondering what gr heads you perfer, I have been using 100gr but was thinking of trying 125gr but wanted to get some other opinions first. (after all broadheads aren't cheap ) I am shooting a 175 Horton if that matters....Thanks...Mike

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 100 gr broadhead if it shoots well and has good terminal performance (penetration and hemorrhage). One reason to go heavier may be to increase your FOC to improve arrow flight. I'd look at the broadhead design overall. I prefer 4 bladed, smallish heads like Slick Trick mags. They seem to fly very consistently (arrow to arrow) for me and hit the same point as my field tips of the same weight, thereby precluding the need to practice with BH's.

·
11,556 Posts
Depends on what shoots the best out of your crossbow

Personal preferences in many cases have nothing to do with how effective the head is at killing because IMHO they ALL will kill. I knew of a guy that actually shot a deer with a field point to prove "his" point that an arrow through the lungs with any type of point is deadly. He proved his point but I don't know anyone that's foolish enough to bowhunt with field points...........but him:ack2:

I think the little difference between a 100 and 125 grain head is so subtle that it's really not worth the trouble of switching unless you get some extra accuracy consistency with one or the other.

I shoot and hunt with either 100 grain or 170 grain broadheads, depending on the crossbow I'm hunting with and the type of shots I expect to get (thick cover close-in shots or open field shots) but in either case, It's NAP Spitfire expandables. Awesome hunting heads that have never let me down. I shoot them out of Excal, Ten Point and Bowtech crossbows.

Attachments

·
211 Posts
the weight of the tip I use is dependent on what I have setup for FOC, I mainly use 125gr, but I have 85gr thunderheads on my 2213's and still have near 18% FOC, I just use weighted inserts to make up the difference

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I've shot different Hortons for a long time, about 10 years x 200 hunting days per year, and with the 175's, I think the 125 gr broadheads are "better". I'm not bragging, but testifying to my experience level. I hold several world record animals and top 5 and that's because of the tools I use. That means, I've done alot of homework (trials and errors) to accomplish what I have with my crossbow. I have also trialed several of the 125 gr broad heads. I like and dislike certain ones for different reasons, but there are several good ones on the market. The one I'll speak up and tell you to stay way far away from is Rockets (Aeroheads) Buck blasters. No good for crossbows at all.
Another important part of this response and my equipment combination is I prefer the Lightning Strike Aluminum arrows over the Carbon arrows, pushing those 125's. You have to know what the whole set up is here.

I think the 100gr do extremely well and are a perfect match with the 150 lb pull bows.
My grandson shoots an Explorer, as well as a few of my hunting clients.
I prefer the Legend 175's above the other 175's because of the thumb hole stock design and "fat" stock. I use it to carry my bow and it's very comfortable in my hand.

·
101 Posts
I Shoot A Horton 175 Also. I Believe The Shafts Are 2219 Eastons That I Used With My Pse Thunderbolt Lightning Bow (before My Misfortunate Accident). My Dad Cut Them Down And Used Bear Broad Heads On Them.(man Those Are Heavy Heads) I Now Have Aftershocks In 80 Grain On Them And Also Have The 100 Grain Hypershocks For Back Up. At 25 And 35 Yards I Have A 1.5 Inch Group (maximum) With The 80 Grain, Usually Right Next To Each Other. That Is The Combination I Used To Shoot My First Ever Buck With A Crossbow Last Year, First Buck, First Shot, At 35 Yards.;)

·
342 Posts
For my XBows the Magnus Snuffer 125's and sometimes a 150gr work the best...Sometimes I do us a mechanical. NAP Spitfire 125...
I am a person that stays with what works, for me even if I bend or break a broadhead, Magnus repleces it...no questions asked....there lifetime warranty is truly a lifetime warranty and they honor it. I actually shoot this same above setup out of all of my archery equipment...If ya want good blood trails the Snuffer 125's will give them to ya everytime...also another plus they are extremely easy to resharpen.

Reactions: DuckhuntingUSA

·
190 Posts
Targethogs you are right...Snuffers are great. Roger Rotharr designed a great head.

·
11,556 Posts
I still have a few left over

from my longbow shooting days. They are good heads. My all time favorite fixed blade heads were the NAP 125 and 100 grain Thunderheads. They went on straight everytime and I had complete confidence in them for my compound hunting bows. I stopped using them for crossbows though because I insist that my broadheads hit in the same spot as field points out to extended ranges (60 to 70 yards). I could never achieve that with fixed blade heads on crossbow arrows. There are tons af great fixed blade broadheads on the market, all of which will kill a deer. With expandable heads one needs to do his homework and choose one that has a good reputation for quality and performance. Unlike fixed broadheads, there are expandables I would absolutely not use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts