Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, so glad i found this forum.

Im shooting a Dagger 390 made by center point, 20" carbon express pile driver bolts. Field points fly perfect, broadheads have ZERO consistency.I mean literally all over the place at 30yrds and beyond. I ve shot 4 diff type of expandables and 2 types fixed blade all 100Gr. I did try adding a bolt length of weedeater cord to 1 bolt was it seemed to make it more consistent but still not real great 6-8" off POA. Without the cord 8-20" off POA. Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

EH

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
It could be the type of vanes that you have on the arrows don't match up well with the type of broadheads your using. Try better arrows with different vanes. I'm sure there's going to be other members with alot of good options chiming in soon. I personally like Spinal Tapps or Black Eagle Executioners with the SK300 vanes with at least about 17% FOC.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ensure your scope is properly mounted and tight.

Are you shooting off of a rest or off hand?

·
2,880 Posts
Others have had good suggestions. If you are shooting good groups with field points, but poorly with even mechanical broadheads, it points to a few things. Arrows not spine indexed, not enough spine, not enough FOC, not enough fletching control. Apparently someone at our club had a similar experience to yours. I was at the range, and found 5 Piledrivers (one broken) in the trash can, along with the packaging. Not sure where the 6th arrow was. I know there are people who use them and think highly of them, but after seeing that, it sure won’t be me.

·
1,693 Posts
My vote goes for timing, tiller or really bad broadhead alignment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A lot of good advice already posted here. Unfortunately broadhead tuning is a process of elimination. There are numerous forces affecting the flight of an arrow, broadheads magnify all of them.

It starts with the crossbow. Inspect and test everything - hardware, timing, tiller, string alignment, etc.

Bolts - again, inspect everything. Ensure the arrow has sufficient spine, FOC, etc. Fletching can make a big difference - I like some helical on a quality vane like Flex Fletch. Spin testing the broadheads is also critical - if it doesn’t spin straight it won’t fly straight.

Broadhead tuning can sometimes be a pain, but when those arrows consistently hit the point of aim it’s very satisfying.

·
1,693 Posts
I always check/correct broadhead alignment of mechanical and fixed broadheads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts