Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i shoot a horton xbow..legend 175...i currently shoot the 100 grain buckmasters by american broadhead . they have come out with a new broadhead . 150 grain sonic exclusively for xbows . i only have afew years into xbows, so i m looking for info from the those with know . what will i gain with 150 grains vs. 100 grains. the 100 grain head grouped well out to 30 yrds at around 40 it opened up some..but i m no pro either .i ll call myself an average shooter at best . i shoot freehand , no rests.,thats how i hunt so i target shoot the same way . as for strings,,, is it normal for s string to wear out quickly ? i use horton strings, and it seems the servings never last me long..i do lube it every 6 shots or so ..thanks in advance .

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I shoot the Legend 175 and have always used 125 gr broadheads. My partner though, experimented with 145 gr MUZZYS for a year before a hunt of an Asian Buffalo, thinking it would help with penetration, but nope. Another story.
You should have more drop on your grouping with the heavier broadhead. Although you shoot freehanded, it's a good idea to use a rest when target shooting or sighting in your bow in order to get a more solid result on what your arrows are doing. In other words, elliminate as much as possible, the area of human error. You must be young to be able and shoot free hand and accuate! The older I get, the worse my wobble gets. If I shoot free hand, I shoot quick once my sight is on the target, which is fine by me, but my partner complains that I should take more time. I can't do that.
If youre interested in the 150's, well then practice with them and readjust your sights for that grain weight to be accurate with that head. Anytime you change brands or weight or even from carbon to aluminun or vice versa, re adjust your sights for that specific broadhead/arrow combination. When youre good and sighted in, then shoot them free handed.
I wear out my strings pretty quick, but I don't change them out as quickly as I should since it's such a hassle to aquire the string and find a bow press and somone willing to replace it for me, or send it back to the factory and be without my bow for a few weeks. I hunt too often for that. Just keep waxing the string and applying rail lube and keep rockin'.

·
512 Posts
I purchased a pack of ''RAGE'' broadheads to use with my Horton Exp. Two 2'' cutting blades. 100 gr. Any of you folks tried them? How did they perform?
Kenny

·
342 Posts
I do really good with maguns Snuffers 125's and NAP Spitfires 125's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts