Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what type of broadheads most are using in their XBows, fixed or mechanical, and what size, and what do you hunt with them.
Myself I have been using the 100 gr & 125gr Magnus Snuffers on hogs & bears, and I am also experimenting now with the NAP Spitfires 125gr mechanicals.

·
11,556 Posts
I don't use fixed blade heads anymore

for several reasons:

I hate long wrinkly vanes. 2" Blazers take care of that problem nicely and accuracy is as good as it gets for me using premium quality expandable heads.

20 and even 22 inch crossbow arrows are less stable than longer vertical bow arrows and fixed blade heads have substantially more affect on their flight......................negative affect.:(

No matter what you hear, I've yet to see any fixed blade heads hit in the same spot as a matching weight field points or Judo heads out at 50 to 70 yards. If you can do that you are a better man than I.

I shoot literally every day using Judo heads, shoot 3D tournaments with field points and hunt something year round so the last thing I need is to be contending with hunting heads that don't hit in the same spot as my practice Judo heads and 3D field points.

If I only used my crossbows for hunting and did not shoot year round, I could get by using fixed blade broadheads for sure. Just sight them in with broadheads and go hunting:D It's not that easy for me.

Last point: All expandable hunting heads are NOT created equal. My recommendation is NAP.

·
242 Posts
I have found that fixed blade heads (2 blade Zwickeys is what I use) have hit consistently with my field points out to 40-50 yds. for me. Beyond that is rifle country. I get the best penetration on elk with 2 blade heads and the bad stories I've heard about mechanicals will keep me from using them on big game. I know a lot of guys use mechanicals with good results too, but I've also noticed that most of them don't hunt anything bigger than a WT deer. Targethogs, if you do "target hogs", I would suggest a good fixed blade. If you want some good reading on this subject, check out a report written by Dr. Ashby (you can find his stuff on Tradgang.com). He has lots of material and is the only one I know doing unsponsored tests on his own to maximize penetration of arrows. His studies in a nutshell favor 2 blade solid BHs, heavy arrows, high FOC as well as other stuff to help penetrate around and through bones (and if you can shoot between ribs every time, you're a better shot than me). If you just shoot little game no bigger than a WT, than you can get away with mechanicals, but if you plan to hunt hogs, elk, moose, even bigger mule deer, do yourself a favor and use a good fixed blade head, even if it takes a bit longer to tune to your crossbow. Just my .02.

·
329 Posts
HI,

though i'm new to crossbows (until "osteo" got me, i was a recurve hunter, for 3 decades), may i offer my support to your comments about Dr Ashby's advice.

for ANY animal larger/tougher/meaner than a WT, better get a FIXED 2-blade BH, that is as sharp as a razor.

our east Texas "wild boar" (feral/Russian mixes) are BIG (frequently over 300#),TOUGH, hard to "put down" & meaner than the average rattlesnake.
for those, i want NO "trick"/expanding/mechanical BHs AND i would prefer one that is relatively heavy for its size, made of GOOD-quality forged carbon steel (like the Ben Pearson heads were in the 1950s-60s) & as sharp as i can get it.

just my opinion, texasnative46

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grndhntr said:
I have found that fixed blade heads (2 blade Zwickeys is what I use) have hit consistently with my field points out to 40-50 yds. for me. Beyond that is rifle country. I get the best penetration on elk with 2 blade heads and the bad stories I've heard about mechanicals will keep me from using them on big game. I know a lot of guys use mechanicals with good results too, but I've also noticed that most of them don't hunt anything bigger than a WT deer. Targethogs, if you do "target hogs", I would suggest a good fixed blade. If you want some good reading on this subject, check out a report written by Dr. Ashby (you can find his stuff on Tradgang.com). He has lots of material and is the only one I know doing unsponsored tests on his own to maximize penetration of arrows. His studies in a nutshell favor 2 blade solid BHs, heavy arrows, high FOC as well as other stuff to help penetrate around and through bones (and if you can shoot between ribs every time, you're a better shot than me). If you just shoot little game no bigger than a WT, than you can get away with mechanicals, but if you plan to hunt hogs, elk, moose, even bigger mule deer, do yourself a favor and use a good fixed blade head, even if it takes a bit longer to tune to your crossbow. Just my .02.
I have been using the Magnus Snuffers 125's on hogs foir awhile now with devastating results....just experimenting with the mechanicals though. If they don't work I will be right back to what does work for me.
Thanks for the input...

·
Banned
364 Posts
targethogs said:
I have been using the Magnus Snuffers 125's on hogs foir awhile now with devastating results....just experimenting with the mechanicals though. If they don't work I will be right back to what does work for me.
Thanks for the input...

How do the Snuffers fly? Do you have to orientate them in any special way? I have some of the original Rothar Snuffers, I used when I could shoot a vertical bow. They weigh 150grs and are one tough broadhead!! I've purposely shot one into a brick wall. It was dull but came out in fine shape.

I might consider using them for moose this fall if I can get them to fly well.

·
27 Posts
I shoot slicktricks 100 magnums they fly very good i shot two deer last fall with them and they were still togather after impact....

·
211 Posts
its funny... I hear less and less about slick tricks lately, it used to be when a topic like this came up all you ever got was several answers for slick tricks...

however, I've seen several topics just recently that showed some pretty significant blade damage in the slick tricks that really shouldnt have been from "general" use, there was talk of there actually being cheap blades(soft metal) produced for them... that doesnt seem to matter to some people but it does to others, including me... however, they have(and still do) get very good reviews and are still on my list as one of the main broadheads to try this summer, along with NAP spitfires and NAP nitrons, I'm just holding off before I buy some to see if that "soft blade" problem gets worked out

·
Banned
364 Posts
I have heard that Slick Trick did have one lot of poor quality blades. They have since rectified the probelm and the current production is fine.

I think their are many different broadheads that work fine! I used Bear Razorheads for many years and never had a problem. Broadheads are kind a like fishing lures. They made to "get" sportsmen, more than anything else. Once you find a good dependable broadhead that flies good and does the job, why try to "fix it" if it isn't broke??
The animals you hunt could care less if there is a one inch hole thru their heart or a two inch hole. Dead is Dead! :thumbsup:

·
1,254 Posts
Muzzy 125 3 blade..

I've been useing the Muzzys now for 4 years with my x-bow...on Deer and Turkeys, they turn easy and put the animals on the ground!!!Thunderbolt:)

·
11,556 Posts
I've taken deer with every broadhead I've ever used.

They all will kill a deer, even a Misslle Spike (for you older guys:D) It's kind of like asking which is the best car, a Ford or Chevy. :thumbsup:

I doubt that Bill took his elephant with an expandable head BUT we all don't hunt elephants. My comments about hunting heads apply to whitetail deer hunting. If I hunted bear, elk or Moose I surely would set up a crossbow for shooting a large fixed blade head but so far, I've seen non of those animals in Southeastern Virginia. In the meantime I'll continue shooting what makes the most sense for me. I'm shooting a 3D tournament tomorrow. I can switch from the field points to NAP Spitfire expandable broadheads after the tournament and go hunting knowing POI will be exactly the same out to 70 yards using the same arrow. I can't do that with a large fixed blade hunting head. The comments some folks make about fixed blade heads "flying just fine" is true but they are just flying to a different POI than field points. For years I used 3 blade NAP Thunderheads. I had confidence in knowing whatever they hit was down, and still do, but they will NOT hit in the same spot as matching weight field points at extended hunting ranges in any crossbow I've used. I guess if I limited my shots to 30 yards I might be able to live with the POI difference.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
My good friend invented to missile spike broadhead. The red furry head followed shortly after. He is in his 80's now and can't get around to good but he still finds a way to shoot his bow(a vertical bow) every day. I also had a chance to take him tarpon fishing where he caught the biggest fish of his life. I was glad I could be there for that. He is a special man that has done a lot for what we know as modern day archery.:cool:

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Slick Trick mags. 'Cause they fly consistently and give me great terminal performance. I'm about to test one to see if it will kill a turkey..... after passing through two deer. Same blades>

·
11,556 Posts
UL

That's great. Boy, here I am at 65 and can't shoot my compounds or recurves anymore due to arthritis. I can walk 10 miles without stopping but can't pull a 20# bow anymore and it really ticks me off:mad:

Do you remember the Pearson Deadhead?:cool: IMHO it was horrible. It actually whistled in flight:ack2: but I took one buck even with that head.

Here is the latest head I am gooing to try and I'll have to admit I'm a little apprehensive about it. The wires are not that sharp but I've seen some impressive kills supposedly taken with it. I'm going to try it on turkeys if I get a chance.

Attachments

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaGriz said:
How do the Snuffers fly? Do you have to orientate them in any special way? I have some of the original Rothar Snuffers, I used when I could shoot a vertical bow. They weigh 150grs and are one tough broadhead!! I've purposely shot one into a brick wall. It was dull but came out in fine shape.

I might consider using them for moose this fall if I can get them to fly well.
I align the snuffers with the vanes, I have no problem with flight out of my XBow, and I have shot up to 175gr....I have practice heads that are still sharp...ones that have been shot completley thru a foam block into hay over 20 times, and I could still go hog hunting with them tomorrow. As you, I have found the Snuffers to be one tough blade.

·
329 Posts
to all,

my comments reference 2-bladed fixed points are about their use on BIG game. most any broadhead is suitable for WTs.
(in fact i have known of people killing WTs at close range with FIELD points. NOT something i would do, but it is illustrative of the FACT that WTs are relatively easy to "knock down".)

elk, bears, large hogs, etc. are anything BUT easy to "knock down". (fwiw, i don't remember the Deadheads by Ben Pearson "whistling".)

yours, texasnative46

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well!!!!

Being that I just ordered my new xbow yesterday and have yet to receive it I'll give my opinion based on past experiences.

I ordered 6 Slick Tricks 100 grain. I figured I'd give them a try. But if they don't fly good enough and close enough to my field points, I'll go back to my old standard and shoot 2 blades Zwickey broadheads.

I've always been able to shoot them with any bow I've owned they fly as good as any field point for me. I've talked with a lot of my friends around locally that are just raving about the Slick Tricks so I thought I'd give em a try. If they don't suit me these local guys will buy them from me I'm sure.

I should held off and not even bought the new razor heads because I have a bunch of Zwickeys left over from my traditional bow days of the past! Oh well that's the fun of life trying new things!

~HF~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts