Crossbow Nation banner

Brought the smoker out of mothballs.

922 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Pin Wheel 
#1 ·
Been way to long since I've used the smoker. Decided to make a little summer sausage out of this year's buck. Over 70 pounds by the time the pork and seasoning was added. Mild jalapeno mix. 12 hours of slow smoking before reaching 165 internal temp. Turned out pretty good.
Food Countertop Kitchen appliance Tableware Kitchen utensil
Product Gas Machine Metal Fixture
Table Food Ingredient Tableware Cuisine

See less See more
#2 ·
I need to try making summer sausage. Last year I did snack sticks which turned out alright, just not alot of seasoning. I shoulda bought a bit stronger pack of seasoning. Also, instead of smoking I went the easy route using the oven. Live and learn.

Reactions: LonewolfMcquade
#7 ·
It's a 'censered' production model, repurposed commercial Traulsen freezer. Walls are approximately 3" thick. I added a Bradley biscuit feeder for cold smoking, hot plate for high temps. Simple probe for monitoring temp. It already had the adjustable rack system. Have several racks for laying fish, etc. Thought about selling from time to time but could never replace for what I have into it. Probably pass it on. Monitoring and keeping temp rising and smoke going is crucial, without auto control. Added the electric fry pan for extra heat. Started out at 150 and had it around 190 at the end.

#6 ·
#9 ·
Thanks my daughter loves it with cheddar cheese I like it jalepenos and cheddar but for her I leave the jalepenos out it took me 14 hours on my smoker but I have a smaller one
One thing I’ve learned and it don’t hurt it is I like taking mine off at about 152 degrees it’s good and moist and you can ice bath it
This batch I didn’t I just hung at room temp for about 2 hours but if I go above 152 I’ll ice bath it to get it cooled off immediately
I enjoy making it I learn something new every time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.